News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: Am I Bonkers?  (Read 4215 times)

Stewpot

Am I Bonkers?
« on: 09, September, 2009 - 11:58:26 »
Hi all,

Last year I took up swimming for the first time in 20+ years and swam 10 miles (640 lengths in 5h45m) in my local pool and then attempted to swim 24 miles in 24 hours at High Wycombe (didn't quite manage that one and pulled out after 10 hours).  I'm now looking for my next challenge...

Commuting to and from work in my little plastic race car everyday gets a lot of attention has kind of inspired me to start another charity challenge ....Sooo next August myself and Howard Twine plan to ride/cycle from Lands End to John O'Groats in a C5. I know its been thought about by quite a few and attempted by a few less. I've read that Chris Crosskey has attempted it a few times but can't find out if he's actually made it or not on attempt number 4? (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/4169051.stm)

So what's the consensus from the forum? It is possible? Are the C5's up to the challenge? Oh and am I bonkers?

Cheers

Stew

Offline minidaz

• Battery level: 6
Re: Am I Bonkers?
« Reply #1 on: 09, September, 2009 - 13:12:42 »
That's something i fancy doing, although not for a couple of years.

And yes, you must be bonkers  :D :D

I know, from what other people on here have said, that Chris Crosskey uprated the axle before his attempts.
I'm not 100% sure, but he might be attending the C5 event at Brooklands in January, so might be a good chance to have a chat.

Would it be 2 of you sharing a C5 with a supprt vehicle, or are you using 2 C5's ?  Good luck with it  ;D

Daz

Stewpot

« Reply #2 on: 09, September, 2009 - 14:09:18 »
The plan at the moment is for us to use two C5's and ride/cycle (what is the actual term by the way?) from Lands End to John O'Groats together. The thinking behind this was that it would increase visability and so safety. We would also hope to increase sponsorship and media coverage. We'd also like various C5 groups, clubs to join us en route and 'get us a convoy' :)

Obviously the planning is in its early stages. We've applied to Guinness World Records hoping to be, 'The fastest to Peddle a Sinclair C5 from John O'Groats to Lands End'. We can only do this though if someone else has done it before. If that isn't the case then we'll go for the sharing a C5 option and hopefully beat a time of 103 hours 15 mintues.... http://www.c5martin.co.uk/sinclair_c5.htm

Cheers

Stew

Offline minidaz

• Battery level: 6
« Reply #3 on: 09, September, 2009 - 15:45:19 »
If that isn't the case then we'll go for the sharing a C5 option and hopefully beat a time of 103 hours 15 mintues.
Now that is mad, being over 200 miles a day  :D :D

Offline alan1310

• Battery level: 5
  • i wish i was that man
« Reply #4 on: 09, September, 2009 - 17:32:17 »
few of us have been talking about it but do i read right you want to peddle all the way now if thats the case i would think about getting your self sectioned  :D :D :D :D

Stewpot

« Reply #5 on: 09, September, 2009 - 20:06:07 »
If that isn't the case then we'll go for the sharing a C5 option and hopefully beat a time of 103 hours 15 mintues.
Now that is mad, being over 200 miles a day  :D :D

If that is the option we have to take then it's just under an average of 9 MPH to beat that record.Two riders, one C5, say 4 hours peddling while the person gets 4 hours rest/sleep...Simples :)

Cheers

Stew

Stewpot

« Reply #6 on: 09, September, 2009 - 20:11:48 »
few of us have been talking about it but do i read right you want to peddle all the way now if thats the case i would think about getting your self sectioned  :D :D :D :D

I was trying to work out how many batteries and how long we'd need to charge them. It might be quicker just to peddle plus we'd save quite a bit on the cost of batteries.

Cheers

Stew

Stewpot

« Reply #7 on: 09, September, 2009 - 20:14:17 »
As for being sectioned....ermmmm. I keep hearing that from people. especially when I said I was going to swim 640 lengths in one go!

Ho-hum :)

Cheers

Stew

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #8 on: 09, September, 2009 - 21:36:27 »
Hi stew,

We hope to do L2B next year - I know its not quite a loJog but your welcome to join us on this. Might give you an insight before you commit. ?

Stewpot

« Reply #9 on: 09, September, 2009 - 22:01:47 »
Thats a cracking offer and one I/we will accept, thank you.

Are the dates out yet?

Cheers

Stew

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #10 on: 09, September, 2009 - 22:50:54 »
Well at the time it was suggested around September 2010, but we need to get other things out the way like the 25th anniversary on the 10th of January 2010 @ brooklands museum.  I reckon it will be a good event !

The meets we have have been very good - infact as my American internet friends say 'Awesome'. These really are fun times.  I hope to see you at some :)

Karl

« Reply #11 on: 10, September, 2009 - 09:00:58 »
When Chris attempted the LEJOG he was the first (only ?) one to try it solo, the other successful "relay" attempt had support. You'd need to consider what logistical support you would need, and what funding you'll have access to.

Chris had to carry out some essential modifications to the c5, namely the rear axle and gearbox strengthening. Given that the c5's are now even older I'm assuming there is still a need for these mod's to be carried out. I dont know if the "relay" c5 was modified or suffered any breakdowns/repairs on way. 

Having driven a sort of "four corners" route of Lowesoft/John O'Groats/St Davids Head/Lands End (over four days) I can say that the terrain will include some very,very big hills .Some sort of gearing would also be useful 
to help with this.

Just a few thoughts ...

It would be quite an achievement though if you managed to do it.

Stewpot

« Reply #12 on: 10, September, 2009 - 19:17:45 »
Thank you very much for the info and advice :)

Personally I'd like to go straight for the solo attempt but it hasn't been done before for a very good reason....it's blinkin' hard! I think Chris has proved that one. If I'm honest, the relay is looking favourable at the moment. That said we have to wait until GWR get back to us with a record to beat and the regulations of that record before we really know what the master plan will be. We don't even know if we can modify the C5 with brakes, gears, batteries etc.

Funding isn't a real issue though we will be looking for corporate sponsorship to enhance the attempt profile and make life a little easier for everyone. We have use of support/chase vehicles in the form of campervans;) What would be good is to have C5 expert on board to ;)

Cheers

Stew