News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: Squeaky bum moment  (Read 1975 times)

Offline mhurt

• Battery level: 3
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
Squeaky bum moment
« on: 08, September, 2012 - 15:43:24 »
Heading downhill for a 5 mile ride and I start braking for the busy roundabout ahead (it's quite a slope), and I hear a thud, and the C5 is no longer slowing down - the rear cable had snapped!
I pulled the front brake are hard as possible, but there was no way I was going to stop, the momentum gained in those few seconds between the snap, me registering the fact and pulling the front even harder, was just too much.
I started waving frantically with my left hand to try and warn the traffic ahead, and amazingly, someone noticed and stopped just in time as I overran the lines.
Managed to stop the C5 about 10m after the line, and was totally amazed I was still alive.

So, the moral to this story? When you first buy a C5, check, double check and triple check the brakes and the cables. If in doubt, get new cables -I'm Off to pick up two new cables, as I'm also replacing the front one for good measure.

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
Re: Squeaky bum moment
« Reply #1 on: 08, September, 2012 - 15:54:18 »
You're lucky your front brake didn't fail when you pulled it really hard, it's not unusual for the front wheel to, and this is not a word of a lie, melt under hard braking using the front brake. Your inner tube would then burst, thankfully I've never had the misfortune of experiencing this and hope I never will.

Offline mhurt

« Reply #2 on: 08, September, 2012 - 16:00:47 »
It has a steel wheel luckily.

Offline mhurt

« Reply #3 on: 15, September, 2012 - 18:26:16 »
Hah! today, one of the front brake blocks decided to say goodbye to the metal it was attached to. Luckily, this time I was on the flat AND less than 100yards from a bike shop.
I'd replaced the cables, but not the blocks. typical :)

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #4 on: 16, September, 2012 - 13:07:47 »
You are lucky.

I have always replace the cable and the front block as you are only taking £10-£15 for all items.

Lance