News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: Apologies to genuine new members trying to register with c5alive  (Read 6171 times)

Karl

Now that c5alive has grown, it has sadly caught the eye of those wasters out there wanting to cause some grief  :-X

For example, today I had 48 "new members" waiting for approval for an account with this forum...on carrying out a few relevant checks they were all "bots" and "spammers" and were therefore rejected  >:(.

Occasionally, I get to the stage where it is so time consuming filtering all this garbage that I've started deleting the lot.   Sadly this does mean a couple of genuine requests are probably getting caught up in the process .

If you have submitted a genuine request and not received a reply then please email me.

I'm also open to suggestions on a better way of dealing with this .   

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
Re: Apologies to genuine new members trying to register with c5alive
« Reply #1 on: 12, January, 2011 - 00:00:05 »
A lot of the forums require a confirmation e mail to be completed before access to the forum is confirmed, i cant remember if this forum has that, but that would sort some of the problem ?

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
« Reply #2 on: 12, January, 2011 - 00:33:30 »
I guess at least they're not being allowed to ruin our enjoyment of the forum.  For that we can be thankful, and well done to you Karl mate for monitoring it.

It's been a while since I joined, so I can't recall whether there's any 'ecapture' system in place?  This often works well to deter bots as they can't read words embedded in pictures.  Would this be something that could be activated?  Or, any additional security that the forum software provides of a similar nature?

Mike

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 12, January, 2011 - 11:55:04 »
A lot of the forums require a confirmation e mail to be completed before access to the forum is confirmed, i cant remember if this forum has that, but that would sort some of the problem ?

yes mate - we do have that "filter", so hopefully the problem only affects those on this site with Admin access. It will only be noticeable to everyone else if the spammers manage to get through and start posting the nasty stuff that has crept onto similar sites  :o

It is a bit of a pain for me and Angie as our email is showing about 50+ messages a day from this , and we have to wade through huge numbers of new members waiting for approval. Hence every now and then I just wipe the whole lot, if any genuine ones get caught up  in that I hope they will email me asking why . Not the best solution, but it is working for now. I have also tweaked the security settings and hope that will also make life a bit easier  :-X
« Last Edit: 12, January, 2011 - 12:08:13 by BooBoo »

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 21, January, 2011 - 08:08:50 »
The latest tweak seems to have done the trick, no more huge lists of bogus members waiting to join - and my email is breathing a sigh of relief as well.

Sorry to the genuine requests that got toasted earlier ...

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 29, June, 2011 - 08:43:53 »
I know of couple of new members got caught up in the strict "anti-spam" measures but got through in the end. 8)

Info via the grapevine tells me that a few more potential members still struggling to register - if you're having any snags just email me  :).   

Offline vanpeebles

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #6 on: 29, June, 2011 - 11:33:53 »
I know exactly how you feel with this, as I've had similar trouble with a QL Forum I do.

You can get a filter that has lists of known spammers and filters that out but stuff still gets through. A few times I've let spammers on by accident and had to quickly remove them, before everyone ended up with knock off gucci hand bags.  :D

Karl

« Reply #7 on: 02, August, 2011 - 19:04:20 »
The ongoing battle to keep the spammers off this site continues....so again apologies for all those genuine applicants that are being refused membership .  I'd rather delete a few genuine ones in error than allow a spammer on by mistake.

If you've registered to join and haven't received a reply just email me.

Karl

« Reply #8 on: 28, June, 2012 - 10:24:04 »
The spammers are continuing with their attempts at trying to gain access to this forum and so far we've been quite good at rejecting them before they get chance to abuse the c5alive site.

There are a number of checks I carry out before approving new members...some of the results show the applicant is a definate spammer and so the request gets rejected with no email sent . If the results of my checks show an element of doubt , then the request is rejected but accompanied by an automated email.

If you're a recent applicant that has been rejected then this is the reason why  ;)

Offline thedesigntailor

• Battery level: 5
  • designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #9 on: 28, June, 2012 - 23:17:06 »
Perhaps a more difficult question such as "what was Sir Clive's surname?"

This would confirm human but also make sure the person registering knows what they are signing up to. The problem with CAPTCHAs now is that they pay people in China a few quid a day to answer these. So one that takes effort won't be bothered with.

Karl

« Reply #10 on: 28, June, 2012 - 23:27:36 »
Perhaps a more difficult question such as "what was Sir Clive's surname?"

This would confirm human but also make sure the person registering knows what they are signing up to. The problem with CAPTCHAs now is that they pay people in China a few quid a day to answer these. So one that takes effort won't be bothered with.

Thanks matie , two new questions now added  ;)