News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: Project #2  (Read 2864 times)

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
Project #2
« on: 03, April, 2013 - 23:50:53 »
Some of you may have seen the recent ad for the free C5 in South East London, Well, we hired a Transit van for the day today and went to fetch it.

It came with the purchase invoice, manual, accessory book, some other original paperwork and some bits and bobs in the boot. Including an original C5 insurance application - never seen one of those before! Only have the one picture of it now and upon initial inspection it looks very good - no cracked lights, rust free chassis, front wheel shroud present, no cracks in the body.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
Re: Project #2
« Reply #1 on: 04, April, 2013 - 06:22:28 »
Free ! Wow, I thought the advert was to good to be true and the owner hadn't put a price  :-\ Well done on you

Retro Andy

Offline thedesigntailor

• Battery level: 5
  • designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #2 on: 04, April, 2013 - 12:55:57 »
Wow - cant get much more of a bargain!
Why didnt they sell it?

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #3 on: 04, April, 2013 - 14:51:07 »
Been out doing some stuff on it today, 3 new inner tubes have been put on and I'll be taking it for a test drive shortly.

I put a battery on it and it does all work apart from the POD. There doesn't seem to be any power going to the POD as the one on it nor my my other comes on when plugged in.

I have plugged in the POD off this to my other C5 and ALL the lights lit up. I have opened the POD and R21 is burnt - doesn't this cause the ULA to fail?

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #4 on: 04, April, 2013 - 15:30:51 »
It  can do bud - I would change it as a precaution - sounds like the voltage regulator has failed in the control box - I have put a step by step process on here somewhere on how to check this if you have a multimeter ?  :)

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #5 on: 04, April, 2013 - 21:13:23 »
Thanks Marty, I have a multimeter so will take a look. The control box does look like it's been apart previously as there's screws holding it together instead of the original rivets.

I've finished cleaning it and it's scrubbed up very well indeed, only disappointment is the scratched and marked rear wheel trims.

And a couple of it with my other one

Very pleased with it, especially as all it owes me is the cost of three inner tubes at £15.  ;D

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #6 on: 04, April, 2013 - 21:55:09 »
Very nice Kamil  ;) ;)

Shame  :'( :'( , I was going to get this for my dad for the Crawley run but I missed out AGAIN  >:( >:( >:( , just a bit too late in I suppose  ::) ::). Have fun with it though. How well dose it ride or haven't you tried it yet.  ;) :-\

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #7 on: 05, April, 2013 - 11:20:30 »
Should have got there quicker Luke ;)

I've only briefly taken it out round the village but it rides very well actually, turns in nice and tight and doesn't squeak.

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #8 on: 05, April, 2013 - 11:53:12 »
I think my dad will have to follow on his bike now  ;D ;D ;D as I don't think there will be any time to get one now as I am going on holiday tomorrow and we won't be getting back till the 13th