News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: Leisure batteries...  (Read 2429 times)

TOFFEEBOY

Leisure batteries...
« on: 29, July, 2010 - 21:48:24 »
OK. So I have two C5's, both converted to run off leisure batteries. One is a Yuasa 75 AHM battery bought from Fezza which is great. The second is a 85 AHM Diamond Leisure battery bought brand new from eBay.

Even when fully charged the pods don't stay on full for very long. The Diamond Leisure battery still shows as 75% charged on my battery charger, yet is hardly powering the C5 at all, and the pod very quickly starts beeping and shutting down the power.

Why is it that even though 75% charged it stops chucking out enough to power the C5? I'd have thought that there should be enough juice to keep it running efficiently?

Karl

Re: Leisure batteries...
« Reply #1 on: 29, July, 2010 - 22:42:09 »
It might be worth checking the voltage of the battery with a voltmeter, could be that the battery charger isnt properly charging the battery . I think RadioMarty had a similar problem.

Offline MikeDX

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #2 on: 29, July, 2010 - 22:50:10 »
Worth considering - The volts may be a false reading!

The important measure (if i remember my training correctly) is the amps under load. If the battery is buggered it may well show 13V but bugger all amps!

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 29, July, 2010 - 22:54:20 »
From your description of the pod lights counting down, and the beeping, it does sound like the c5 is working ok. So the finger of suspicion seems to be pointing at the batteries....maybe either not being fully charged , or not holding their charge.

Mikes idea of testing them under load should provide the answer.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #4 on: 29, July, 2010 - 23:02:58 »
As Boo Boo say's I have had similar problems with a Diamond leisure battery - I changed the charger I was using and now I get full light's for most of the trip them rapid demise to nothing in a matter of minutes - The reason I changed the charger was due to it being a cheapy one that could not provide enough 'juice' for an 85ah battery - however I did not see much improvement and am starting to suspect that that make of batteries IS not liking C5 usage

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #5 on: 30, July, 2010 - 08:41:30 »
Hi there I've just built myself a Pod/Ula tester . It tests the Ula for voltage drop and also puts a  load on the Ula to see if the power side is working correctly .If you want I can test it for you. For a small charge . There would also be a charge if the pod needs repairing .That is if it is reparable ..Just send the pod and the return postage .It can also be used to test the pod /the control box /and also the wiring harness. If the ULA is damaged it cannot be repaired ....I do have some spare ones with different fault's on them for sale but not at the moment ...Keep looking on the site . Photo's to follow ...