News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Bit of an eye-opener !  (Read 7821 times)

Karl

Bit of an eye-opener !
« on: 02, August, 2008 - 21:48:34 »
Not a pretty sight.. :o

Karl

Re: Bit of an eye-opener !
« Reply #1 on: 02, August, 2008 - 21:55:36 »
Maybe 24v kits and standard gearboxes don't quite go too well together after all..... :-[

What is not all that obvious from the photo's, is that the brown outer casing is from a different gearbox to that of the tortured remains of the white cogs  :o

The white cogs were destroyed by a c5 fitted with a 24v kit , the increased heat generated by the increased power caused the cogs to melt and deform. This took place over 1 day's usage.....

The brown outer casing was from a "metal gearbox"  fitted to a 12v C5, the wear/damage has been caused by the metal cogs against the plastic casing. This took place over 1 years usage....

Interesting  ???

aandu

« Reply #2 on: 03, August, 2008 - 00:07:37 »
hmmm. That is really informative... Thanks!

So suppose we change to a 24 volt kit what is the best gearbox to use?

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 03, August, 2008 - 07:11:43 »
At the moment there are no real alternatives to the standard gearbox readily available. I am going to be exploring some other possibilities but in the meantime we have opted to withdraw the 24v kit from sale until we find a solution that doesn't cause damage. :-\

jomac

« Reply #4 on: 04, August, 2008 - 09:07:11 »
Now that will teach you not to go drag racing down the high street Karl... ;)

ogb

« Reply #5 on: 04, August, 2008 - 12:43:59 »
maybe its possible to adjust the acceleration of the controller to lower the strength on the gearbox
on the service site of T.....

Acceleration ramp
This is labelled as ‘ACC’ on the circuit board: it is
present to make the vehicle accelerate smoothly when
the speed pot is increased suddenly, so as to avoid
sudden surges and shocks to mechanical components.
As supplied it is normally at half setting so that the
motor takes about 2 seconds to accelerate. Adjust it
as you require to give smooth acceleration.
Clockwise increases acceleration (reduces time to full
speed), anticlockwise decreases acceleration
(increases time to full speed). If the acceleration is set
too high (anticlockwise) the acceleration may be
limited by the current limit, which does no harm but
means that acceleration is not being controlled
properly, so will be dependent on motor load

its just a thought

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 04, August, 2008 - 15:57:56 »
Thanks guys, all advice is gratefully received.

The customers request in this instance was for a totally maxxed out 24v C5, which is what was provided. Unfortunately, as you can see from the piccies, it was a bit too good  ;D To put it in context, my 24v c5 (aka Voodoo) was left standing by the customers C5 as though mine was still a 12v  :o It was very impressive. Shame the gearbox isnt up to the job though  :-\

So now I'm in talks with some engineering companies to find a solution  :-X

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #7 on: 03, November, 2009 - 22:13:41 »
i know this thread has been quiet for a while, just food for thought -:

but i've been wondering about the possibilities of using a varible belt drive, based the Lo CC twist and go scooters or even mini moto's.

years back Mobylete mopeds (copied by Releigh) had a centrifugal slipping clutch, this aced lik a gear box. also had a pulley belt final drive arrangement, worked really well .

given these were early peddle assisted mopeds if you needed to use the bike without the motor imrc there was a butterfly lever to make the the rear larger pulley 'free wheel'.

regs
alan

Karl

« Reply #8 on: 04, November, 2009 - 03:31:44 »
Things are still progressing in this area.

The engineering firm was a non-starter ,they wanted a £1k up front payment before starting any developement work :o ::).

One of the spin-offs from building "challenger" is that electricDave is looking at a few possibilities......cant say any more at this stage  :-X 

12vboywilson

« Reply #9 on: 18, November, 2009 - 16:19:43 »
but i've been wondering about the possibilities of using a varible belt drive, based the Lo CC twist and go scooters or even mini moto's.

I have a LOT of experience when it comes to CVT Transmissions, and let me just say that it would cost FAR too much to be a viable modification. =/ In theory, A good idea though, Especially with the use of torque drivers coupled in =)

Karl

« Reply #10 on: 18, November, 2009 - 20:55:41 »
Cost is always a bit of a hurdle - hopefully electricDave's gearbox project will be a success , should have some more news early in the New Year  :-X.   

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #11 on: 19, November, 2009 - 07:34:39 »
Cost is always a bit of a hurdle - hopefully electricDave's gearbox project will be a success , should have some more news early in the New Year  :-X.   

I am hoping to get a second C5 to modify next year, the plan is to keep Charlie as an original, and the other to upgrade with speed in mind, it must look normal from the outside, but must impress when the go button is pressed  ;D so I'm interested in electric Dave's project.

Retro Andy. 

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #12 on: 19, November, 2009 - 08:16:59 »
Currently planning to get Matts project up and running with a standard motor set up  - but hoping to upgrade on the run - keep us posted

Offline techytype

« Reply #13 on: 19, November, 2009 - 18:58:02 »
worth a consideration?

http://www.eclipsebikes.com/
regs
alan

Offline techytype

« Reply #14 on: 19, November, 2009 - 19:24:00 »
Maybe 24v kits and standard gearboxes don't quite go too well together after all..... :-[

What is not all that obvious from the photo's, is that the brown outer casing is from a different gearbox to that of the tortured remains of the white cogs  :o

The white cogs were destroyed by a c5 fitted with a 24v kit , the increased heat generated by the increased power caused the cogs to melt and deform. This took place over 1 day's usage.....

The brown outer casing was from a "metal gearbox"  fitted to a 12v C5, the wear/damage has been caused by the metal cogs against the plastic casing. This took place over 1 years usage....

Interesting  ???

as a spotty youth i remmember molyslip being touted as 'the most slippery substance known to man', spoted this on ebay -:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Molyslip-HSB-high-speed-bearing-grease_W0QQitemZ120340881119QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item1c04e01edf

maybe an alaternative lubricant for the C5 gearbox and other bearings?

regs
alan