News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: Benefits of using a C5  (Read 3490 times)

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
Benefits of using a C5
« on: 23, January, 2010 - 11:54:47 »
Hello all.  In my efforts to try and at least show that I'm interested in getting a little more exercise this year, I thought I'd share with you some of the many benefits that I've found riding a C5 could have on one's health.

1.  It improves health
Regular cyclists (possibly C5 users) have a fitness level equivalent to someone ten years younger, according to the BMA report Cycling Towards Health and Safety (1995). Regular cycling can improve health through increased fitness, lower the risk of heart attack, help to shed excess weight and reduce stress.

2. What about traffic fumes?
Because C5 users are aware of exhaust fumes doesn't mean they are worse off than car drivers. On the contrary, research by the Environmental Transport Association has shown that air quality is often poorer inside cars where pollutants tend to concentrate and cannot escape. Moreover, C5 users can often use quiet back streets where the air is cleaner while getting the health benefit of moderate exercise.

3. It can be faster
The average speed of cars in town centres is often around 8mph! Most C5 users can easily average 12mph.

4. It's cheaper
C5 users save money by going by this form of transport. So do all taxpayers, because providing for cycling is thousands of times cheaper than providing for motor cars. Compare the £67m cost of the 1,500 mile London Cycle Network with the £101m cost of the 8 mile Newbury by-pass.

5. It's friendly to the environment
Air pollution levels in some places already breach safety guidelines set by the World Health Organisation. Poor air quality is increasingly blamed for various respiratory complaints, including the alarming rise in childhood asthma, from which one child in seven is now a sufferer. By using a C5 instead of driving, riders are part of the solution rather than contributors to the problem. When you decide to ride your C5 rather than use your car, you're doing a public service!

6. It's more fun
A sense of achievement results from getting there under your own steam, and from whizzing past gridlocked traffic to get to the destination on time. Satisfaction comes to C5 users, who realise they are using the most energy-efficient transport system ever devised by man, equivalent to doing 1,600 miles to the gallon!

Of course, having said all this, I don't know anyone who would be willing to give up their car to drive a C5 all the time.  However, in principal, the idea works.  I think had the C5 been more reliable, we may well have it still on the production line today.  What do others think?
« Last Edit: 23, January, 2010 - 11:59:07 by mike7201 »

Karl

Re: Benefits of using a C5
« Reply #1 on: 23, January, 2010 - 22:15:58 »
I like your thinking mate  ;)

Benniz

« Reply #2 on: 24, January, 2010 - 08:58:35 »
Great post Mike and I aggree with all your points!

I must also add that you know someone who would now :D
I don't own a car and sold my motorbike a few years back so my plan is too use my c5 all year round for local commuting, which is why it was vital for me to add a fully enclosed farring 36v conversion etc
I use a electric chopper bike to get around its great but not so fun when you get soaking wet and the chrome is a nightmare to upkeep once the sinclair is done the bike will be put away for the one week of the year when we have a hot spell

Regards Ben

Benniz

« Reply #3 on: 24, January, 2010 - 09:08:00 »
Also to add to your question at the end of your post I believe If a light weight snap/bolt on enclosed farring was developed as a extra it would of been much more of a sucsess due to our wet weather, also as others have already mentioned if it was marketed differently as a bit of fun at first, people would of with the knowlage of it being road legal would of taken on its potentional more, Sir Clive was a visonary and like all great people he was ahead of his time!!

Offline fezza_rs

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #4 on: 24, January, 2010 - 15:43:58 »
Agree with all except No.5 where does the power to charge to batterys come from? Coal/Gas fired power stations?

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 24, January, 2010 - 17:11:11 »
Agree with all except No.5 where does the power to charge to batterys come from? Coal/Gas fired power stations?

..for the time being I guess you're right. But when using this argument against electric vehicles people tend to forget the carbon footprint costs of extraction ,manufacture and transportation to point of collection for those fossil fuels needed by conventional vehicles.

I guess eventually we might be running off Nuclear, Solar, Wind Turbine or wave harnessed energy. That will make Mikes case even more compelling.

All depends on how much we and the government invest in greener technology.

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #6 on: 24, January, 2010 - 18:26:40 »
i can't believe one vital health omission was made in the above, the amount of calories used by others on just seeing just one C5 on full flood - i.e.  bemused onlookers breaking into the now infamously infectious C5 SMILE.

seeing 9 off said C5's in a line 'waddling like ducks' along the brighton & hove promenade was simply calorie extermination.

o prove my point i break into a C5 smile just thinking about the Brighton '09 run, i could loose stones this way  ::)

;D ;D ;D

regs
alan