News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: C5 Chassis Needed  (Read 3438 times)

Cfiver

C5 Chassis Needed
« on: 02, May, 2010 - 20:53:34 »
Took my C5 out today from the garage,with a fresh charged battery. Took a corner rather sharp and snap!!!! The chassis snapped! - Does anyone have a spare Chassis? Mine has snapped near the Y section. On closer inspection, there was little surface rust, so I do not know why it went snap - any ideas. cFIVER

iDENTITi

Re: C5 Chassis Needed
« Reply #1 on: 02, May, 2010 - 22:06:09 »
Er, get it re welded?  Seems the best option to me.

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 02, May, 2010 - 22:13:49 »
wow , did you hit any potholes,jump off a kerb or anything ?

I've had a chassis bend on "Dave" , and a few of the c5's I've stripped have been a bit grim but never seen one snap at the Y section.It's usually the brackets where the body mounts or the headstock that snaps off .

Might be worth you putting a piccie up in the support section to show what can happen.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #3 on: 03, May, 2010 - 10:43:19 »
I'm getting worried about all this talk of chassis issues and those pictures Karl posted "shock horror" I have put a few pounds on recently and don't want to break mine putting under to much pressure  :'(

Retro Andy.

aladds

« Reply #4 on: 03, May, 2010 - 14:12:58 »
I'm more concerned about the state of the roads. There are a stupid number of potholes near me, and some of them are huge!

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #5 on: 03, May, 2010 - 15:30:52 »
Theres one local to here that a C5 would fit into and never be seen again  ....

And its in the middle of a cycle lane, local council / highways agency not interested in getting it fixed until some gets killed.

iDENTITi

« Reply #6 on: 03, May, 2010 - 15:47:12 »
I wouldn't be too worried about it.. Should be easily repaired (1mm steel can be welded with MIG, don't need TIG at that thickness)
If it keeps breaking then some strips of 1mm steel can be welded to brace the areas.  I'd hazard a guess that a sheet of 1mm steel welded across the two back "forks" of the chassis would aleviate most of these problems, although you'd probably lose the chassis flex as suspension.
I'm in the process of building an uprated replacement chassis for my c5 project once I get some more parts for my MIG welder...
(and yeah, there is some huge potholes around Cambridge)

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #7 on: 03, May, 2010 - 15:52:08 »
Rather like this - Used a TIG :

Karl

« Reply #8 on: 26, May, 2010 - 17:07:36 »
I now have a spare chassis up for grabs;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1159.0