News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: C5 Chain  (Read 3323 times)

Bob

C5 Chain
« on: 18, March, 2011 - 19:51:27 »
Hi everyone,

I have been a member of this site for a couple of years but not introduced myself. I have found lots of useful information that has helped me to remove the body from a C5 and then strip down and rebuild. Well almost. I am about to finish my first, well actually it is my sons who is just 15 and we have a run into a problem. We do not have a chain. So off to halfords and brought two which we have put together, they are too long so have removed links as necessary until it fits, but down to the last section if we remove another link the chains is much too short and catches on the adjuster add a link and it's too loose for the adjuster to make a difference. Can you help are the chains a special or something. Would really would like to get this sorted.

Cheers Lee

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
Re: C5 Chain
« Reply #1 on: 18, March, 2011 - 22:18:24 »
Hi there Bob do you still have the old chain.  ????? bye Chas

Bob

« Reply #2 on: 19, March, 2011 - 11:26:47 »
No this came without one Chas

Offline scott

« Reply #3 on: 19, March, 2011 - 22:32:09 »
hi bob, i had the same problem i brought two from halfords and joint them  together which works ok but don't have the chain to tight the chain tensioner needs to be fairly free to move up and down similar to a bike dralier; i think the chain is a 178 links but i will check for u tomorrow, also if you haven't got one a anti chain bounce off kit they are really affective and can be purchased from the sites shop section, once you've got the correct amount of links and if it still keeps slipping then perhaps try and get an original c5 chain  Adam Harper has them or have a chat with Karl whittle he might have one  if not keep your eye on ebay one might come up for sale  ;D  hope this helps and Will let you know on the links  goodluck Scott.

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
« Reply #4 on: 20, March, 2011 - 19:58:37 »
Hi there you say that the chain is tight .Well if it is then you do not need the chain tensioner...Take it off and try it without it ....Bye Chas

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 20, March, 2011 - 20:03:44 »
Hi there you say that the chain is tight .Well if it is then you do not need the chain tensioner...Take it off and try it without it ....Bye Chas

Chas is right, I ran my c5 known as "moneypit" without a chain tensioner when I first got it - at the time I didn't know that one should have been fitted. It is worth a try, and the cheapest option  :)

Offline frankev

• Battery level: 0
  • One Sinclair on the road, doesn't mean it's summer
    • Sinclair meeting in Holland in july 2011
« Reply #6 on: 14, June, 2011 - 11:39:17 »
Hi Lee,

I have five original chains at the meeting in Holland for the auction.
From unused to old and rusty. Maybe someone you know that going there, can get one for you?
If not, maybe I can send it to you by mail or so. (from Holland) but I think the price for the mailing will be more then the price of the chain.

Greetz

Frank

joggaeco

« Reply #7 on: 20, October, 2011 - 23:53:38 »
I think, as suggested, u need a chain tensioner, they £15 on ebay. Then it doesn't matter having a looser chain.

Also I think the chains for the C5 are heavier duty, than the bike ones, slightly wider.  Given improvment in manufacture over the 3o yrs, I think the matrials for the present bike chains probably, I hope match the stress tolerances...

Hope this helps, fun working on it!