News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: C5 Driving  (Read 2686 times)

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
C5 Driving
« on: 04, November, 2009 - 11:25:20 »
Weather's a bit better today, but still a little windy where I live (on the coast). 

Went for a ride in my C5 today.  Battery still the same.  Thinking of replacing.  It's not until the battery runs out that you realise that you just want to ride that little bit more, but you can't.

Whilst pedaling today, the chain felt a little 'slack'.  Is this likely?

It didn't cause any concern, but I am certainly curious.

On my outing this morning, I passed more people who looked in amazement as a C5 passed them.  I passed some workmen standing outside their work place having a chat.  They all stopped and looked.  As I passed, I gave them the C5 grin and said 'Morning'! 

There's something about having people look at you whilst you're on your C5 isn't there?  Am I just being a show off, or do others also enjoy the attention.  Pleasant attention that is?

Parked for a little while in the village opposite the co-op.  I parked in a parking space, applied the parking brake, then left the C5 and sat in the park.  Whilst I was sat down in the park, I watched my C5 and looked at the people passing it by.  Almost everyone turned their head to look at it, and some stopped to either admire it (or slag it off)!

I parked between two cars, intentionally, so that it would be noticed.  When I drove off, I headed home. 

With the winter nights drawing in and the weather getting colder, will my C5 be ok left outside like it is at the moment?  It is under a rain cover and under the shelter of a coal shed.  WOuld this be ok, or should I really look at storing it in a garage somewhere?

THanks,

Mike

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
Re: C5 Driving
« Reply #1 on: 04, November, 2009 - 12:56:22 »
Have you got a chain tensioner fitted ? If it helps I would only store mine inside to stop corrosion build up etc.

Retro Andy

Offline mike7201

• Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
« Reply #2 on: 04, November, 2009 - 16:11:21 »
Thanks, I didn't consider that.  I think I have a chain tensioner fitted.  There's a cog on a spring, and two plastic guides to keep the chain from coming off the cog if that's a tensioner?

Won't storing the C5 outside cause damage to the electrics, what with damp, frost etc, or were they designed to tolerate the British weather conditions?

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #3 on: 04, November, 2009 - 19:44:09 »
I kept mine outside for about 9 months, wind sleet.snow.frost - it was fine.  Like everything its going to rust and if you don't look after it some parts may seize.

As its a classic vehicle, it makes sense to try and keep it dry.

Offline techytype

« Reply #4 on: 04, November, 2009 - 20:27:29 »
this will confuse you, i own a C% but don't have one (aiting to collect my1st).

my comment would be as with any vehicle with pneumatic tyre's, and being stood up for a leghth of time, is stand it on end or lift the body so wheels do not bear the weight in one place, and damaging the tyre's.

if you look at some of the before and after photos from restorations you will see the damage done by rust especially to the frame and rear axle,

if damp, the electrics could suffer corrosion due to its copper content, so why risk it?

regs
alan

for the sakes of about £99 ish i'd get a wooden or better a plastic tool shed from one of the super stores, it would be better protection than a tarpaulin and somewhere to sort out a few bits.