News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: Make yourself known  (Read 32859 times)

waran2005

Re: Make yourself known
« Reply #75 on: 13, April, 2009 - 08:13:59 »
Hello
     My name is waran and I live in south wales near cardiff. I don't know if there are any C5 owners near me, if there are I don,t see them out and about. I don't have a C5 at present and so am on the lookout for one, anything considered if anyone has one for sale. I am not totally new to the C5 as I swapped my moped for one when about 15 years ago. I had a grey boot version with twin batteries and chargers, although the batteries were knackered and only one charger worked. I had great fun with my C5 with very few problems except once the magnets in the motor became unstuck and attached themselves to the armature. my father managed to fix it though but eventually I let someone have a go and they managed to break the rear wheel, so being a teenager with no decent income I was forced to sell it, I also did not realise you could get spares.
     I sold mine to a member of the battery powered vehicle society, which I allways regretted. I am now looking forward to owning one again. Thanks.

Karl

« Reply #76 on: 13, April, 2009 - 10:41:46 »
Hi Warran and welcome to the forum mate  8)

If you are out there looking for a C5 to buy, you could road test my newly formed "buyers guide"  and let me know if you found it useful ;)

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=429.0

Nice to hear you previously owned a C5 and have decided to return to owning one of Sir Clive's finest creations.

waran2005

« Reply #77 on: 13, April, 2009 - 16:55:15 »
Hi Karl
     thanks for the advice, read your buyers guide and found it very usefull. There's certainly lots of things to consider before purchasing a C5. The problem is though that i will probably end up purchasing one from ebay and due to the location of some of them it is unlikely I will be able to view them and so decent photos and asking the right questions will be a must.:o

when a purchase one I will keep you posted. Thanks Waran.

KoenVdH

« Reply #78 on: 14, May, 2009 - 14:46:06 »
Hello,

My name is Koen, 38 years old, 4 kids, I live in Belgium in the town Hove close to Antwerp.
When I was young I played a lot with Sinclair computers (ZX81, ZX Spectrum) and was fascinated by the C5 that regularly showed up in some PC magazines (HCC) at that time.

2 years ago I bought one second hand for 175 euro from a nice guy in the Netherlands. The C5 is almost complete including the charger, the only thin that is missing are the white plates to fit the rear tires. I also don't have a good battery. Also the lock on the back is blocked, I can fit the key but it does not turn.
The biggest mistake I made a year ago was to fit a battery in the wrong polarity, since than it didn't run anymore.

Over the last weeks I got it up and running again. I had to replace a fuse in the control box. Still the display is not working...
I'm now looking for a good battery, further I plan to disassemble it to paint the metal since this doesn't look that good.

Nice to see this forum alive,
Koen

Karl

« Reply #79 on: 14, May, 2009 - 14:50:03 »
Nice to have you onboard Koen, a warm welcome  8)

The rear hubcaps are still available brand new from Adam Harper.

Your display pod might be repairable , could be worth contacting c5Martin

KoenVdH

« Reply #80 on: 15, May, 2009 - 09:35:55 »
I found the site of Adam Harper, but the order form is not working, nor any email adres is shown?
How can I contact him?

Koen

Karl

« Reply #81 on: 15, May, 2009 - 16:36:08 »
I found the site of Adam Harper, but the order form is not working, nor any email adres is shown?
How can I contact him?

Koen

Adam doesn't have an email address , you contact him either by phone or "text" message on the number given, or write to him .

A Harper
PO Box 534
Belvedere
Kent, DA17 5SQ
England
Tel : 07889 646009

He is a top bloke and highly recommended  8)

C5Paul

« Reply #82 on: 18, May, 2009 - 19:14:03 »
Hi All,

Another newbie!

My name is Paul and I have bought my first C5 over 20 years since I first saw and wanted one.

I bought one off ebay and it needs a little bit of work so expect me to be asking some qustions on the technical forum etc.

I like all things transport, own a couple of cars and my own plane that i fly as much as I can.

I live in South Gloucestershire about 5 miles north of Bristol and have a fair bit of land to play on so i dont have to worry about juggernauts coming up behind me!

Hopefully speak to some of you soon

Paul

Karl

« Reply #83 on: 18, May, 2009 - 19:26:09 »
Hi Paul , great to see another new member  ;D

Incredibly cool that you have your own plane  8)

Welcome to the world of all things C5 , as we've said before on this forum - it will probably bring you pleasure and frustration in equal measure, but you will never get rid of that C5 grin  ;D

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
« Reply #84 on: 05, August, 2009 - 14:09:01 »
Hello everyone.  I'm Mike and I'll be 30 when the C5 hits its 25th anniversary.

Regretfully, I can't say I've been lucky enough to own & ride one of these marvellous devices, but I've always wanted to.  Now, more than ever before! 

I live on Portland in Dorset, at the heart of the Jurassic Coast.  We have many hills and terrains which I guess would be somewhat unsuitable for a C5, but we also have a great selection of long flat stretches, and a dis-used railway line which runs into town. 

I don't know where to start really.  So, if it's ok, I'll ask a few questions and see whether I can get answers...

1.  Does anyone know where I can get a working/safe to ride C5 for little or no money?  I'm so poor!  (Pathetic excuse I know, but I just want to ride one before they all disappear!)
2.  If I were to encounter a hill, would pedalling as well as using the motor make the hill easier?
3.  How does the rear break light work.  Does it come on when you apply the break, or does it come on and stay on when the front light is on?
4.  If I were lucky enough to own one, would I be permitted to ride it on cycle lanes?  What about pavements?  Would I be permitted to use it on a mmain road in amongst main traffic?

Sorry, but my enthusiasm got too much there!

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Mike

Karl

« Reply #85 on: 05, August, 2009 - 14:51:23 »
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum mate  :)

In answer to your queries;

1) If there was a cheap c5 out there for sale it would probably be snapped up pretty quickly. A cheap C5 can also be a money pit, so going for the cheapest could well be a false economy. Check the buyers guide for examples of what to look for on a used c5.
Ebay/local "feebie" papers/local house clearance shops etc might be worth keeping an eye on. Happy hunting and good luck !

2) A c5 is a battery assisted "bicycle", so there will always be pedalling involved. They don't climb hills particularly well, so hills are a bit of a challenge.

3) The c5 is not fitted with a rear brake light as standard.

4) see (2) , as it is technically a bicycle you can use a C5 where bicycles are permitted.

Hope this helps.

Karl

WarrenB

« Reply #86 on: 28, September, 2009 - 19:04:39 »
Hey my names warren i'm only 13 put i love the c5, there so awsome!!

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #87 on: 30, September, 2009 - 23:05:34 »
Yep I have to agree Warren, as daft as it may sound - the Sinclair C5 & C5alive has been one of the best things I found this year !!

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #88 on: 01, October, 2009 - 08:38:05 »
I second that, I have made some good friends here, and the run's (although I can't join in as many as I'd like) are great fun.

Retro Andy.