News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: Ramdom C5 project No.1 - iPhone Speedo  (Read 2475 times)

Offline baselpat

• Battery level: 6
    • My C5 Photos
Ramdom C5 project No.1 - iPhone Speedo
« on: 11, June, 2013 - 21:03:21 »
Just been playing (with a fair bit of cut/pasting) with some HTML/CSS and have ending up with the following "App" for iPhone (and likely to work on Android, but not got one to test it with). 

C5 Speedo

"complete with Sinclair font"

Simple to install (he says....  ::) ), no Apps to download, just visit the following webpage with your iPhone:

http://c5speedo.cm7.ch/0.1/

then with the phone in portrait mode tap the "share" arrow in the middle of the screen, then click "add to home screen", like so:

This adds a icon to your phone, which when clicked opens the "app".  The "app" (or Safari, if you don't want to install) will then ask that it will want access to your location, you will need to give this, as the html needs to use the GPS on the phone to get the speed.

Also to note is that the files are all stored "offline" so no data connection should be needed when in use. It is also worth noting that, like all GPS "apps" it will use the battery a little more than normal, so please bare that in mind.

0.1 version, so I'm sure there maybe many improvements, but let me know if you have any handy feedback - The source code can be found here should anyone be interested: http://c5speedo.cm7.ch/0.1/c5speedo.zip

That's all for now - next step - best way for mounting the iPhone on the C5  ;) :P 8)

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
Re: Ramdom C5 project No.1 - iPhone Speedo
« Reply #1 on: 11, June, 2013 - 21:47:47 »
Great idea, have downloaded this. One big downside for me though is that it wasn't made to work with the screen on my iPhone 5 and therefore I have black gaps on each side :(

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #2 on: 16, July, 2013 - 11:26:39 »
Can this work with Blackberry?

Offline mhurt

• Battery level: 3
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #3 on: 16, July, 2013 - 16:21:21 »
Tested on my Samsung Galaxy S3 and whilst it displays, the speedo doesn't work. I've just installed a custom ROM to the phone so will try again, just in case it was Samsung's Touch Wiz interface causing the issue.

Offline baselpat

• Battery level: 6
    • My C5 Photos
« Reply #4 on: 16, July, 2013 - 16:30:07 »
Can this work with Blackberry?

It may do - it is only a bit of HTML and CSS webpage.  I've tested it on an iPhone, a newish Sony Android (coworkers phone - do remember the model), Firefox/Chrome on both Mac OS and Windows XP.  All working ok - you have ensure the browser (on any device) is allow access to the GPS data.  This is can be disabled, so may need re-activating in the settings.....

Offline mhurt

• Battery level: 3
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #5 on: 16, July, 2013 - 17:42:14 »
Knowing how the phone was before getting rid of Touchwiz and putting Cyanogenmod on it, it will probably work now (lots of things that didn't work before, or worked poorly/slowly now run perfectly!)