News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: New Owners Quick Start Guide  (Read 10100 times)

Karl

New Owners Quick Start Guide
« on: 05, October, 2010 - 17:47:58 »
As submitted by Chas and Lee , a superb joint effort :)

Pre-use checks

Battery Electrics:
- ensure battery is fully charged
- fit battery connections the correct way round +/red= brown cable , - / black = blue cable
- check both front and rear lights work.The small switch on left side of seat rim operates both lights
- check pod is working and that all the pod lights are lit/working. Lights on the left side of the pod show motor load, lights on the right side of pod show battery condition and charge

Brakes
- check both front and rear brakes work correctly, operate both handlebar levers
- check the parking brake works.Lock on by pressing down, release by squeezing the rear brake lever

Tyres/ wheels
- check all tyres are correctly inflated. 30psi for front tyre, 35psi for both rear tyres (original manufacturers recommended figures)
-check tyres are not split or cracked , common on original C5 tyres dating from 1985

Chain
- check chain moves freely over both front and rear sprockets,oil lightly if needed
- check chain tensioner (located underneath the c5) runs freely on the chain when the pedals are turned.
« Last Edit: 05, October, 2010 - 18:42:26 by BooBoo »

Karl

Re: New Owners Quick Start Guide
« Reply #1 on: 05, October, 2010 - 18:08:34 »
General Driving Tips and Hints

Pod
- always pedal to begin with, then engage the motor by pressing the micro switch located on the left handlebar grip
- ideally the motor load lights on the pod should be showing green/amber.If they show red you must pedal until they turn back to green/amber. Red indicates the motor is under excessive load, this will lead to the motor overheating and cutting out and may cause gearbox wear.

Drive belt / Motor
- always pedal away from a standing start. Not pedalling will lead to belt slip and premature wear to the gearbox components. Belt slip sounds like a loud clicking/buzzing noise.
- assist the c5 up hills by pedalling whilst using the motor as well.

Driving and general tips
- always try to keep the motor lights on the pod in the green/amber segments
- never push the c5 backwards any faster than a slow walking pace otherwise control box components will suffer electrical damage
- when using quick release battery clamps IT IS VITAL THAT THE +ve and -ve ARE NOT WRONGLY CONNECTED - doing so WILL cause major damage to the c5's electrics
- use the motor intermittently and coast as much as possible. Never drive for long periods using just the motor as this causes the motor to overheat and cut out.
- avoid driving up/down curbs as this may bend the chassis. The c5 is also very low and will catch/scrape
- c5 brakes are not too sharp ! Always allow a good stopping distance
- avoid cornering at speed, as with most trikes, the c5 can flip over
- when carrying a c5, lift by the front nose and rear wheel arches. 

Thanks to Chas and Lee for supplying the above guides  :)
« Last Edit: 05, October, 2010 - 18:42:50 by BooBoo »

alexbromo

« Reply #2 on: 05, October, 2010 - 21:54:13 »
 :)

Alex Bromo

joggaeco

« Reply #3 on: 21, October, 2011 - 02:46:39 »
Thanks for this, I think I caused the lock out by using the motor uphil from a standstill, as I found the hill too steep to move off.

so back to checking th control box out!

Richie

« Reply #4 on: 02, February, 2012 - 11:30:07 »
If you cause a lock out from putting too much pressure on the motor does it sort itself out when the load is reduced or does it damage something in the control box? If so what do you have to do to sort it?

Cheers. Rich

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 02, February, 2012 - 13:58:56 »
There are two sensors attached to the motor that deal with overheating.

Assuming you've only caused an overheating shutdown then it will reset. If you trip one sensor it shuts down for around 15 minutes, trip the second and it shuts down for an hour.  Can't remember which one is which , may be worth reading through the handbook in the download section.

This happened to me on the 2007 London-Brighton run and, if I remember correctly, the pods lights flash and it makes a beeping sound as well  ;D

Offline Paul Langton-Rogers

• Battery level: 0
  • The C5 was just 25 years ahead of its time!
« Reply #6 on: 25, April, 2016 - 18:15:58 »

What do you do about rust on the chassis?

I assume it's best to try to remove this and treat the metal with some anti-rust paint, rather than just leave it and let it get worse?

I assume a complete strip-down is the best way to go when treating the chassis for rust, may as well do the whole thing, rather than just the rust exposed area?

Paul

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #7 on: 02, July, 2016 - 22:18:37 »
Yes always best to do a full strip down and restore especially as they are 30 years old

Chas is the master.....

ta Lance