News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: Just got a C5 - where to start now though !!  (Read 3542 times)

Offline rhys9918

• Battery level: 0
Just got a C5 - where to start now though !!
« on: 08, October, 2010 - 21:19:52 »
Hi all
Good to see a useful forum like this, I fear I may need it lol. ( I Have always followed Sinclair products, but never went for the C5 at the time as I was a bit young and still playing Manic Miner on the Spectrum 48k).
I have just been given a Sinclair C5 and its a bit of project for me to fix up - which I am quite looking forward to.
It doesnt look in bad nick, hardly any rust underneath, still has charger and original battery, so a pretty good start.
I will trawl the forums for tips etc, but before I do, is it worth hooking up the battery, or assume it died along with the original demand for the C5's?

Look forward to being part of the forums.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Re: Just got a C5 - where to start now though !!
« Reply #1 on: 08, October, 2010 - 21:39:01 »
I think it is safe to say you need a new battery welcome to the forum if you need any help just ask

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #2 on: 08, October, 2010 - 21:42:36 »
Welcome to the forum, you got given a C5 ? Great stuff, you will find all the help and tips on here, please post some pictures of your progress.

Retro Andy.

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 08, October, 2010 - 21:52:31 »
Welcome to the wonderful world of sinclair c5's -fun and frustration in equal measure  ;D

...you'll find plenty of help available here, so you should get that c5 of yours sorted for next years runs at least  ;)

Offline rhys9918

« Reply #4 on: 08, October, 2010 - 21:54:53 »
yes Andy, it was given to me - has been in my father in laws garage for 25 years or so!!
I rescued a ZX80 from a skip of his a few years ago lol

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #5 on: 09, October, 2010 - 08:11:31 »
HI there Rhys welcome to the site any problems just put them on the site and you will get all the help you need ..Chas  (ps where do you live)

Offline rhys9918

« Reply #6 on: 09, October, 2010 - 10:18:30 »
South Wales - near Bridgend.

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #7 on: 09, October, 2010 - 10:25:42 »
Ok to far for me to come down to see you ....may see you at one of the runs ...Bye Chas

Offline techytype

« Reply #8 on: 28, October, 2010 - 22:25:24 »
warm welcome, i love Wales especially North of Bala Lake.

think some initial pointers would be wise here for such a hilly region.

these machines are a bit delicate in the transmission department, they don't like going up steep inclines let alone hills, and can be a white knuckle experience on the decent due to what is laughingly called the brakes  ;D.

Front wheel is plastic and fun when it gets hot, melts and sheds the tyre, rear brake is a drum design only acts on the 'off' side, tends to cause severe twitching and a need for underpants change in the wet.

as said the original battery will likely be dead, this site sell a leisure conversion kit and i'd say the 1st thing to do, you can then use a standard car battery.

the expensive to replace electronics are also protected against accidental battery reversal, have quick release post clamps, top bit of kit.

not wise to wheel it backwards muh as the motor acts like a dynamo and feeds current backwards into the controller, which can damage it.

i'd recommend swap out the brake blocks for what they cost, as they are by know hard as cement likely cause extra damage to the front wheel rim.

last but no least lubricate all he bearings, not much was put in at the factory and what is there has possibly deteriorated, plenty of manuals and how to in the forum.

good luck
Alan