News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: Flasher unit for indicators  (Read 2118 times)

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
Flasher unit for indicators
« on: 20, June, 2011 - 19:19:10 »
Can anyone recomend a suitable replacement for the Flasher unit on the C5 indicators,
(on e bay if possible ??

John

aladds

Re: Flasher unit for indicators
« Reply #1 on: 21, June, 2011 - 19:12:52 »
Do you know the power consumption of the bulbs used in watts?

Basically, you've got 2 options:
1) Buy an LED flasher; these will work as long as you're drawing less than 23 watts (total, per side).
Something like this would probably do.

2) Buy a Car/Motorbike flasher; these will work if you're drawing a minimum current, but this can vary. (They're usually rated in Watts. Add up the wattage of one front bulb and one rear to see if they'd be adequate). You can get these from halfords, or swap one over from another vehicle. If it's not going to work it won't cause any harm, it just won't flash.

Also, the first will be more regular in flash rate, but might not work with the original indicators.

I have a set of "3rd party" indicators; they work with an LED flasher unit, but they don't draw a lot of current (they're not LEDs).

Whichever type you get, make sure it's a 2 pin one.

EDIT: Also, avoid the units which come with "Load resistors." These cause extra power draw and will use up a lot more power then your indicators need to.

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #2 on: 21, June, 2011 - 20:43:30 »
Hi just read the above post ..Regarding the wattage the front bulbs are 5 watt each and the rear are 10 watts ..The flashers that I can get hold of are £4.75 + vat and posting  .There are two types the first one is 12volt 2 x 8 -10 watts .And the second one is 12volt 2 x 18-23 watts ..Not sure which one is the correct one but I think it's the first one .What I can do is to go the unit and find out which one will work .Then take it from there ...l will get back to you ..bye Chas

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #3 on: 21, June, 2011 - 22:36:26 »
I have tried two so far witout any success  :'(

The two pin one which is a bog standard two pin one from  halfords wont flash  ???

I want to run LED lights on the back, and the normal C5 bulbs / lights on the front (cant get any originals for the back)

I will try the led one and see if it works....

John

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #4 on: 21, June, 2011 - 23:42:07 »
Sussed it  ;)

Tried wiring them differently and now all works fine, i will post some pics and vid once fitted and working.

John