News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: Twist throttle for 12V?  (Read 2472 times)

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
Twist throttle for 12V?
« on: 02, May, 2012 - 19:52:28 »
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of installing a twist throttle on my C5.

Would it just be a case of connecting it to the exisiting wires from the original switch or would it need to go through a separate controller?

Karl

Re: Twist throttle for 12V?
« Reply #1 on: 02, May, 2012 - 20:03:36 »
I'd be tempted to give it a miss mate

3 of the c5's from Rotterdam had a 12v twist grip system fitted and I found it a bit unreliable so chose to strip it out and return the c5's to standard set-up.

I still have one here with the twist grip etc still on it....if you still want to give it a go I will remove it a little more carefully and post it off to you  ;)

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #2 on: 02, May, 2012 - 20:12:14 »
I'll give it a go and see how it holds up, if it proves to be unreliable it'll go back to standard.

Thanks for the offer Karl but I've already bought this twist throttle hoping that it will just be a case of connecting the positive and negative and it will work? Or is there a conversion kit that's needed?

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #3 on: 02, May, 2012 - 20:13:24 »
Hi Kamilb,

A throttle is basically a variable resistor (1k-10k restistance) which uses three wires. This normally adjusts a voltage into a controller (0-10v, 0-5v). This variation of voltage ramps the signal via electronics to the output of the voltage or current or frequency. In the case of the 24v Uni8 this modulates via PMW (pulse width modulation). This basically gives 24v in pulses (on / off signals), were the shorter the pulse faster the motor (think i got that right - long time since went to college). You cannot do it with the standard control box as it basically energises a relay to give voltage / current to the motor.

Hope this helps.

Lance

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 02, May, 2012 - 22:56:03 »
Looking at the system I removed from the Rotterdam c5's  , what Lance says is spot on - there is an additional controller fitted . I'll take some piccies at the weekend (possibly ! - depends on work)  so you can take a look.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #5 on: 03, May, 2012 - 07:33:04 »
Lance is text book correct on that one - you will need a motor controller  :) - the standard electronics will not allow for a throttle  :)