News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: HELP Removing Pedals....  (Read 2826 times)

Rustychain

HELP Removing Pedals....
« on: 08, February, 2011 - 11:46:00 »
After soaking the pedals with WD40 and leaving for a while I only managed to remove the nut holding the left-hand pedal to the bottom bracket- cannot get pedal arm to come off.

Tried to remove nut on right hand pedal- reverse thread- managed to move it with my halfords advanced socket set but then the nut jammed and socket kept slipping off- did no more for fear of rounding the nut off.. >:(

Would be very grateful for some hints and tips- I have a crank extractor tool but cannot remove this nut yet..

This is going to be a big job- some tinworm has been at the chassis and there are one or two "weightsaving" holes in it- don't think lotus put them there...

At least the motor seems to work... ;D

Karl

Re: HELP Removing Pedals....
« Reply #1 on: 08, February, 2011 - 12:29:45 »
That sounds a bit tricky, and more than a little frustrating for you. Must admit to never having had to deal with that...I must have been very lucky !

Not sure what the best solution is though - as you say, that nut has to be removed in order for you to use the crank extractor tool.

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #2 on: 08, February, 2011 - 15:17:26 »
Drill into the nut several times with a fine drill bit so that you almost split it then cold chisel the nut apart.

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #3 on: 08, February, 2011 - 19:09:15 »
Hi there just to let you know both nuts are normal threads .they both come off counterclock wise..The threads are both the same on each side of the crank

Rustychain

« Reply #4 on: 10, February, 2011 - 15:24:14 »
OOPS....Are you sure? I did try to move the nut the other way but then, of course, the pedals rotate on the freewheel so to get any leverage it would need me to wedge the pedals in some way if that nut is, indeed, a standard thread??

• Millennium Member
« Reply #5 on: 10, February, 2011 - 22:05:48 »
Hi there not sure what you want ....If you are stripping down the C5 then you must get  both pedal arms + the crank out ....There is no need to get the pedals off to do this it can be done later...

just ring me on ...will leave my number ....

Rustychain

« Reply #6 on: 17, February, 2011 - 16:48:27 »
MAny thanks for the replies- have been offline for a while with no chance to try to remove the crank.
Thanks for the messages - will call after I get a chance to try to remove the nuts again.

Just to clarify, I am trying to remove the pedal arms and the crank - I won't be removing the pedals from the arms.

• Millennium Member
« Reply #7 on: 17, February, 2011 - 19:47:24 »
OK then as I replied early the nuts on both sides are normal threads that is counter clockwise to undo them.
when you have taken them both of you will need a crank puller .