News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: My C5 under restoration / cleaning (photos)  (Read 17328 times)

Offline peckishere

• Battery level: 3
    • peckishere's Twitter
My C5 under restoration / cleaning (photos)
« on: 05, February, 2011 - 19:04:47 »
hey everyone!

I just got my C5 home today and I have already started to restore it and clean off the various body parts

Below is the link to my Flickr album of the cleaning and restoration, I will be adding more photos in the future:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59177467@N07/sets/72157625857663591/

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
Re: My C5 under restoration / cleaning (photos)
« Reply #1 on: 05, February, 2011 - 20:45:21 »
Looking good so far, its all good fun when you take your C5 all apart and clean/restore it :)

Retro Andy.

Offline peckishere

• peckishere's Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 05, February, 2011 - 20:50:35 »
It makes it even more fun when you have to figure out what the previous owner did with the wiring. Currently trying to find out what colour cables power the rear light and what colour cables went to the light switch as mine has been removed at some point in the past  ???

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #3 on: 06, February, 2011 - 09:42:37 »
Hi bud - looking good and max respect for the in the house restoration !!!! - the rear lights are wires are red and purple .

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 06, February, 2011 - 10:32:01 »
Top effort mate..like Marty says - only the dedicated restore a c5 in the house , mucho bonus points for that  ;D

Offline peckishere

• peckishere's Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 06, February, 2011 - 11:04:41 »
thanks to everyone for the help and kind words!  ;D

I am feeling very disheartened at the moment because i have discovered that the chassis is quite rusted and the c5 will need to be stripped down to get rid of it  :(

I would like to sort it out myself but as ive seen on the forum, people recommend sandblasting it and getting it repainted and I definitely don't have the facilities to do so myself :(

what does everyone think is my best option to solve this issue  ???

Offline peckishere

• peckishere's Twitter

Karl

« Reply #7 on: 06, February, 2011 - 13:52:21 »
Somebody has been modifying  :) , looks like an attempt to strengthen the chassis legs .

Nothing wrong with it being a bit unique.

Sandblasting etc is the top choice if you want as perfect a finish as possible but using wire brush, drill attachments etc to sand it back can all produce some good results as well. All depends on how much time effort and money you want to throw at it     ;)

Try to keep your chin up mate, remember they always look worse before they get better. You're dismantling a 25yr old vehicle thats been a bit abused so you're bound to uncover a few nasties. All part of the "bonding" process  ;D

Provided you have most of the bits and pieces, they do respond surprisingly well to a bit of restoration .

This one ;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=814.msg6712#msg6712

...evolved into this ;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1182.0
« Last Edit: 06, February, 2011 - 13:58:03 by BooBoo »

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #8 on: 06, February, 2011 - 16:07:22 »
Don,t loose heart bud when you get it back up and running you will be able to look back at what you started with and be proud - I think that chassis is quite interesting and as Boo Boo says and attempt to strength it - The level of restoration on these vehicles can be done on a budget to suit - the chassis does not have to be sandblasted i have only done this once - would recommended getting it stripped from the body and have a go - sand it spray it and see how it comes up !!!! The main thing is geting on the road and having some fun - the other option is they do come up every now and again for cheaper money than having the work done so lots of options bud - keep at it !!

Offline peckishere

• peckishere's Twitter
« Reply #9 on: 06, February, 2011 - 16:23:19 »
Thanks everyone for the advice!

I'm feeling much better now as ive managed to wire brush it with a power-drill and got most of the offensive rust off  ;D

after a quick look at halfords online I discovered that they had a whole plethora of rust killing coating / spraying goodies and 15 minuets later I got myself a can of this:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_188459_langId_-1_categoryId_165594

My C5 is now sitting in the garage so it can dry out, I also oiled the chain as it was bone dry

Gave it a quick peddle up the road and its much easier to peddle now  ;D

Just waiting for my new tires and battery wiring kit to turn up tomorrow to make it allot more functional and more presentable to possibly take it out on a few of this years meetings  :D

Offline Pyrasanth

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #10 on: 06, February, 2011 - 18:14:48 »
Hi,

I am at the same stage of the restoration as you and my frame was a little rusty but a good old blast with the drill and a metal wire bit. I was quite surprised how it came up it just takes a bit of time and elbow grease.

I just can't wait to get my butt in that seat and get out on it  ;D the hard work will pay off

Thanks

Gary

Offline peckishere

• peckishere's Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 06, February, 2011 - 18:33:03 »
Hi,

I am at the same stage of the restoration as you and my frame was a little rusty but a good old blast with the drill and a metal wire bit. I was quite surprised how it came up it just takes a bit of time and elbow grease.

I just can't wait to get my butt in that seat and get out on it  ;D the hard work will pay off

Thanks

Gary

Yup elbow grease was definitely the trick with the metal wire bit, got the metal all down to an even level then sprayed it with the metal preserver I got from halfords and now looks pleasing to look at  ;D

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #12 on: 07, February, 2011 - 09:21:27 »
The very best rust converter by far that I've ever used, and I've been messing with older vehicles for over 40 years, is FERTAN. Get it off the internet. Some of the others frankly are rubbish, and the so-called de-rusting breaks out again surprisingly quickly. I suspect that chassis was weakened around the fork joint area and was then braced.Its a lot of extra weight to pedal around.

Offline peckishere

• peckishere's Twitter
« Reply #13 on: 07, February, 2011 - 21:28:47 »
Hey everyone

Just uploaded a vid to flickr after getting most of the electronics up and running, ive fitted the C5 alive leisure wiring kit and a new set of wheels and inner tubes from the c5 alive shop:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59177467@N07/5425714207/

ive noticed that its making a 'tonk' sound every so often, it feels like its coming from the front wheel but i will inspect more tomorrow  ;D

Additional:

Ive noticed that the pod doesn't work properly (all LEDs light up)  :-\

Offline frankev

• Battery level: 0
  • One Sinclair on the road, doesn't mean it's summer
    • Sinclair meeting in Holland in july 2011
« Reply #14 on: 08, February, 2011 - 09:08:55 »
I am feeling very disheartened at the moment because i have discovered that the chassis is quite rusted and the c5 will need to be stripped down to get rid of it  :(

what does everyone think is my best option to solve this issue  ???

Hi Peckishere,

Your best chances lie in the meeting in Holland this year in july. I have two chassis for the auction. One never used and one used, but easily restorable.
If you not planning to go there, you might ask someone that does, to get it for you.

The new unused one, left outside a few weeks so a little bit rusty

the used frame, definitively needs work but is still solid.

Greetz

Frank