News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Issues around 24v upgrades  (Read 2907 times)

Graham1982

Issues around 24v upgrades
« on: 20, May, 2008 - 17:14:37 »
Hi:

I am looking into getting my first C5 and I would like to use it as I would a bike - to nip around the town.

I would like to get one that has had its speed increased. I know that these are not road legal. However, are there other issues that I have to contend with namely the brakes? Is there an upgrade for these.

Also, what kind of run-time will I get considering the extra speed?

Can someone give me a top-down analysis of how it works - namely bigger battery, bigger motor etc.

Thanks

Graham

jomac

Re: Issues around 24v upgrades
« Reply #1 on: 21, May, 2008 - 01:01:02 »
Hi Graham
                 You have many options here, all with different levels of difficulty to introduce, and all depend on your skills in engineering, or your finance in paying for it. The C5 at the best of times has very 'iffy' brakes, and looking at the worst scenario with a 24 volt machine and someone weighing say 16 stone, doing 25mph down hill, its a recipe for disaster.
Its a well known fact that the standard C5 under hard braking can overheat the front wheel and the tyre pops off, so a faster machine with standard brakes.

As for the run time on say a 24volt conversion, its very nearly the same, better motors, better gearing will improve this dramatically. The C5 was built to a budget and nothing more. Contact me direct if you want more info

Karl

Re: Issues around 24v upgrades
« Reply #2 on: 21, May, 2008 - 14:01:07 »
Hi Graham and welcome to the forum.

There are a few of us here who are running 24v C5's.

Hank and I are are both using the C5alive kit ,which has proven very reliable. It uses the standard motor and two car batteries (usually type 063). Plus a cooling fan. The twist grip throttle works well,and reduces the strain on the drive belt and gearbox, should be a standard fit on all C5's ! 8)

As a rough rule of thumb, the range of a 24v C5 (which is using two batteries) is equivalent to a normal 12v C5 using one battery. An obvious disadvantage is the loss of ability to carry spare batteries - no space,and weight being the problem !

Advantages are better hill climbing, faster speed and acceleration - but the more power you use,the quicker the range decreases. The increase in speed is not huge, you cant go chasing mopeds !

As for the brakes, changing your front wheel to a steel one is an absolute must. But then for my own peace of mind, I have converted both my 12v and 24v to steel front wheels. The brakes are as adequate for the job on a 24v as they are for the 12v...not brilliant,but they do the job.

Hope this helps.

Karl