News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: A Marvellous Piece Of Engineering  (Read 1721 times)

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
A Marvellous Piece Of Engineering
« on: 06, December, 2012 - 14:41:02 »
At some time in the past the original drive wheel on #2 was replaced with a steel one, as seen in the first photo. The idea of leaving this wheel on #2 didn't tickle me in the slightest, it had to be replaced. When the replacement wheel arrived I removed the steel wheel, and out of curiosity I stripped it down to inspect it.
Whoever did the work made a marvellous job of it. Because the wheel mounting adapter could not be mounted on the domed surface of the wheel a dished spacer was produced (marked in red on the third photo). I covered the doming with some white chalk powder and then pressed the spacer over the hole, to my surprise the dished surface of spacer was completely covered the powder, a perfect fit.
As you can see from the photo no self tapping screws were used, all the holes had been tapped. I placed  the spacer over the hole in the wheel then mounted the mounting adapter only to find that the holes were 100% located, on offset to seen anywhere.
Because the neck of the mounting adapter was a fraction too small for the aperture in the wheel a bronze ring had been TURNED. It was such a tight fit that it took quite a bit of tugging and twisting to get it off, it was even a tighter fit on the mounting adapter.  This ring was only .3 of a millimetre thick (the thickness of three sheets of printer paper)  :o, this must have been sweated on as I had one hell of a job to remove it, an amazing piece of workmanship.

Wheel about to be removed.

RED: The dished spacer.
BLUE: Original C5 wheel mouting adapter.
YELLOW: Quality Assurance Inspector.   ::)

I only wish I could meet the person who produced this, I could put a lot of work in his direction.  ;D ;D

EDIT: Visable links removed.
« Last Edit: 03, January, 2013 - 23:01:57 by KarlG »

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Re: A Marvellous Piece Of Engineering
« Reply #1 on: 06, December, 2012 - 17:18:23 »
That really is a very good job  :)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #2 on: 07, December, 2012 - 06:08:25 »
Thats different  :)

Retro Andy.

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 07, December, 2012 - 11:08:41 »
engineering skills are really under appreciated these days , would love to have those types of abilities myself !