News:

C5alive - The Premier Sinclair C5 website
https://www.c5alive.co.uk

Author Topic: new owner in Leeds  (Read 2157 times)

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
new owner in Leeds
« on: 30, April, 2010 - 11:40:21 »
Hi,
I bought my C5 sight unseen from eBay last week and have stripped it completely, derusted both  frame items and forks.Am now pondering
whether soft-media blasting galvanizing then powder coating is the route to take, or just do a rattle can paint job on chassis with top coats mixed to original Sinclair colour and satin black Hammerite or Granville for the forks and backframe. Depends on cost, will take parts for estimate next week.
Will need motor, brake pads and shoes,tyres & tubes.

Karl

Re: new owner in Leeds
« Reply #1 on: 30, April, 2010 - 14:58:04 »
I'd be interested in how you get on with the chassis, I'm experimenting with getting one "shot blasted" to see how it turns out. If it's any good I'll get the other three done as well.

C5martin used grey Hammerite "smooth finish" paint when restoring his c5's, gave a nice finish and was a very close match to the original colour.

Offline fezza_rs

« Reply #2 on: 30, April, 2010 - 15:08:41 »
Hi,
I bought my C5 sight unseen from eBay last week and have stripped it completely, derusted both  frame items and forks.Am now pondering
whether soft-media blasting galvanizing then powder coating is the route to take, or just do a rattle can paint job on chassis with top coats mixed to original Sinclair colour and satin black Hammerite or Granville for the forks and backframe. Depends on cost, will take parts for estimate next week.
Will need motor, brake pads and shoes,tyres & tubes.

Hi Coverman im only over in Selby good to see another C5 nut round my kneck of the woods! I had my C5's chassis powdercoated at NB Coatings in Pontefract and its top notch as he dose pleanty of show bikes etc. I'd really consider having it done as the quality of the finish is so much better than paint! If you need a hand with anything just drop me a pm.

Offline coverman

« Reply #3 on: 04, May, 2010 - 10:13:05 »
Hi,
I am going to investigate MSS Wheel Services in Leeds as they powder blast rather than shot-blast(I personally think the chassis metal gauge is too thin for shot-blasting to be anything other than risky).
If not, I will try the firm in Pontefract that you recommended.
If they prove too expensive I will go the Hammerite type route but actually would prefer Granville if they have the correct grey.