News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: My C5 nightmare (answers please)  (Read 2497 times)

Smartbillr

My C5 nightmare (answers please)
« on: 16, November, 2010 - 00:52:57 »
I wanted a C5 ever since they first came out and recently I managed to purchase a nice example, I did a 400 mile round trip to pick it up and was over the moon to get it home and that's were the problem started, I live in a ground floor flat so it's kept in doors, unfortunately there is a high brick wall right opposite my front door so it took 2 of us to man handle the beast over the wall into my flat! I have since fitted a car battery and cut out switch but can't get it out of my flat easily to use it so it's stuck inside!
My question is, with a car battery how far would I be able to travel in it? ( it's a small battery 036) also what sort of gradient hills can it climb?
It's so annoying that after 25 years of wanting I need to ask these questions cause I can't use it myself, I've always had a passion for 3 wheelers and have owned 2 reliant regals and a bond bug

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
Re: My C5 nightmare (answers please)
« Reply #1 on: 16, November, 2010 - 06:32:51 »
Well to be honest these are difficult questions to answer. For this we shall have to make some assumptions.

1 your C5 is in good condition with no tight bearings etc.
2 your battery is in good condition.
3 you weigh less than 13 stone
4 you pedal quite a bit.

You should get about 7 - 15 miles no problem but as the old saying goes ' your milage may vary' :)

Offline frankev

• Battery level: 0
  • One Sinclair on the road, doesn't mean it's summer
    • Sinclair meeting in Holland in july 2011
« Reply #2 on: 16, November, 2010 - 08:36:17 »
I might ad, there are two different kind of battery's.
The car battery, which is unhappy if you make it empty. After being empty it will only have 80% of its capacity left. After a few of these events the battery is gone.
I use a traction battery, (gel battery) what they also use in electric forklift.
It gives a steady supply of energy and doesn't mind if you drive it empty.
I have a 105 amp traction battery so I can drive about 60 miles.
For my second C5 I will buy a 80 Amp traction battery because I find the 105 Amp version a little bit to big and heavy. I hit it with my heel if I pedal.  :-\
As far as I know they use the traction battery also in caravans, for the light etc. You need a special loader for it. Mine costed iincluding the loader 140 GBP.

greetings

Frank

Offline techytype

« Reply #3 on: 16, November, 2010 - 15:37:03 »
i often wonder if the RAC would come out to me if i broke down?

(well they wil if my car of van battery is flat  ;D ;D ;D )

Alan

Offline frankev

• One Sinclair on the road, doesn't mean it's summer
    • Sinclair meeting in Holland in july 2011
« Reply #4 on: 16, November, 2010 - 18:36:53 »
i often wonder if the RAC would come out to me if i broke down?
In holland you can have a bicycle kind of insurance (some kind of RAC), they bring you home as long as you have pedals inside. Costs about GBR 25,00 a year.  ;)