News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: -- Wow!!! --  (Read 2993 times)

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
-- Wow!!! --
« on: 29, November, 2009 - 10:06:50 »
Morning all...  If I die tomorrow (heaven forbid), I can assure you that I'll have acheived one of my recent aims!

I'm shaking with excitement as I type this, but bare with me.  :o

I've just had a phone call from the man himself!!  I am of course talking about the one and only Sir Clive!!!

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Fan bloomin' tastic!

Now...  Before you all say 'oh heck what's he on' and 'has he **** had a call', I think I should tell you how it all began.

A few months ago, I purchased my first C5.  I was so pleased with it, that I wrote to Sinclair Research, and wrote to Sir Clive himself about how much I enjoyed using it.  I also wrote to thank him for the many years of enjoyment that he had given my family and I throughout the 80's, through the products he had designed.  I mentioned the Spectrum and other products which we were lucky enough to have in the home. Also, the fact that although they were affordable, quality was never compromised.

I mentioned C5Alive, and the fact that although I could appreciate the C5 was one of his projects that he may have 'moved on' from, it still has a huge following.

This morning, my wife answered the phone to a gentleman who she said sounded incredibly well educated and that he was asking to speak to me.  I didn't think that being a Sunday, this could be anyone I know.  So, I took the call.

I was absolutely gobsmacked!  It was only Sir Clive on the dog and bone!!!

I could only assume he was calling because there may have been a better chance of reaching me on a Sunday. 

Sir Clive said that he was calling to thank me for writing to him, and that the letter had cheered him up.  He was pleased that I had done so, and wanted to tell me in person.

Wow!  I explained that the nerves were kicking in, and that talking to a living legend such as him was something I hadn't had the opportunity to do before.  However, I assured him that the pleasure was all mine! 

We chatted for a moment (although I didn't want to waste his time).  We talked about the C5, and I mentioned Adam Harper being a great resource for spares, repairs and accessories.   I told him about my C5 and I told him about C5Alive's C5-25 event.  He asked where it's being held and I said 'Brooklands'.  I asked if he'd be attending, and he did say no.  However, I thought that the fact he was interested in the event was more than enough to satisfy me that he is genuinely interested in his C5 users.

Well, there we have it.  My claim to fame!  I'm so pleased to have been able to speak to a legend such as Sir Clive.

Hope you guys didn't mind me sharing this?
« Last Edit: 29, November, 2009 - 11:41:11 by mike7201 »

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
Re: -- Wow!!! --
« Reply #1 on: 29, November, 2009 - 17:45:38 »
Are you pulling are legs ? Do we mind ? I certainly dont mind, thanks for sharing this and perhaps you could send him another letter with my number on it next time, did you do 1471 after the call ?
Speaking or meeting Sir Clive is on my list, I think a letter is on the to do list.

Retro Andy.

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
« Reply #2 on: 29, November, 2009 - 18:17:19 »
Nope, not pulling your leg, I really had a call from Sir Clive!!

I didn't need to do a 1471, as the number showed on my phone's display.  It was an '020' number.  Can't remember the rest.  I did think about making a note of the number, but that would be a breach of trust I felt, and would completely abuse the fact that he'd made the effort to call me.

What's more, I have 'anonymous call reject', which means my landline refuses calls from witheld numbers.  Meaning, anyone who calls me must reveal their number, or they can't get through.  I gather from various sources though that it's not impossible to speak with Sir Clive if anyone fancies calling him.  You can call Sinclair Research any time.  Obviously it won't be Sir Clive who answers, neither will it be he who replies to the emails, but you can be sure he's there.  I emailed my letter, rather than posted it.  I was informed that it would be received by others before reaching Sir Clive.  Understandably, there are bound to be many who write just to cause problems.  This wasn't the case in my scenario though, so I guess I was just lucky enough to have him read it at a 'good time'.

You can read my letter to him if you like.
« Last Edit: 29, November, 2009 - 19:13:35 by mike7201 »

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #3 on: 29, November, 2009 - 18:34:14 »
Well done that man - fantastic stuff

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 29, November, 2009 - 20:05:05 »
Superb result mate  8)