News:

C5alive meets Chris Barrie
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

Author Topic: Hooray! I finally got one!  (Read 11807 times)

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
Re: Hooray! I finally got one!
« Reply #15 on: 21, September, 2009 - 06:17:33 »
Hi Mike,

glad to see your going to use your c5 seriously, but unless your pretty fit the 7 mile trip might be hard going. Mark ( son ) and me do 15 mile round trips on our c5s and have to say it's quite a trip.

Mark goes through two batteries one which is a new Sinclair and the other a type 038 car battery.  I use up half a gel battery.

What I would do if it were me is to carry a spare battery in the other foot well, and swap over when needed, that way you always have a 'get me home' reserve.

As for switching the c5 on and off,  yes that's standard behaviour for a wiring kit. Just for reference the original c5 block does not do this, it remembers the battery state, only forgetting when you remove the block from the battery.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: 21, September, 2009 - 06:20:36 »
I would like to add, that on c5alive meetings we do 15 mile trips with no problems, it's just very hilly where I live.

Karl

« Reply #17 on: 21, September, 2009 - 08:34:02 »
Mike - Let us know how you get on mate, if possible some piccies would be great  :)

Paul Bunce used to commute on his C5 in hilly Plymouth , so it can be done  ;)

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
« Reply #18 on: 21, September, 2009 - 21:38:58 »
Thanks guys.  Yes I agree, it's going to be a little hilly to say the least. 

The outward part of the journey should be fine.  It's all down hill and coasting.  When I reach the bottom of the hill, I hope to press the power button intermittantly and cruise along a causeway (on the cycle path).  At the end of the causeway is a dis-used railway line which has now been transformed into what's known locally as the 'Rodwell Trail'.  So, it's all on the level. 

Going home will be a different matter. 

With a little luck, I'll carry my charger in the boot, so when I get to work, I can charge the battery.  Then when I'm finished work I'll be fully charged for the journey home.

When I get back however, there's a massive hill, which even cars struggle to manage in third gear, so I have decided when I reach this, I'll get out and push!  Then, when I reach the top, I'll ride home.

Only thing to do is try it and see I guess.  I certainly won't be doing it daily, but thought it would be fun to try.

Offline mike7201

« Reply #19 on: 22, September, 2009 - 10:37:03 »
Well, I tried riding to work...  It failed terribly!

I went down a huge hill and made great time.  However, I built up too much speed and had to brake heavily.  The braking was too much and subsiquently I smelt burning.

I continued another 100 yards, then suddenly there was a big 'bang'!  :o

My worst fear had occured!  I had suffered a blow-out!

Right in the middle of the road, and at a dangerous place too.

I was however, fortunate enough to have the assistance from my work colleague, who had been cycling behind me for safety.

Another stroke of luck came, when a lady came running out of her house, and offered to help.  She said I could park in her drive until I had the chance to have it fixed.  I had to get to work, so ended up getting the bus.

Before I got the bus, my colleage and I took a look to see what the problem was, and just as I thought, it was the heat of the excessive braking which had caused the damage.

The wheel was buckled and had 'bubbled' under the heat!  I'll need a new wheel, new tyre and new inner tube. 

I've spoken to the local bike shop, who have kindly offered an 'emergency recovery' in thier van - how nice is that?

I've shown them the vehicle specs, and asked if they can replace to the best possible match, against the specs given in the back of the C5 Owners manual.  I asked them whilst they have it to give it a full check as well, as I don't want any other problems!

So, was I foolish to attempt the journey, or should i have been travelling slower?

I'm a little depressed to say the least, as I so wanted to do this today and make it to work on a C5!!
« Last Edit: 22, September, 2009 - 10:38:45 by mike7201 »

Karl

« Reply #20 on: 22, September, 2009 - 11:03:37 »
Sounds like an eventful journey  :o

Really well done though mate for giving it a go ,and at least yourself and the c5 have no serious damage - in short, it could have been a lot worse.

The front wheel failing coz of brake heat is very common , as I said earlier I've fitted steel front wheels to mine for that very reason.

A kiddies bike should be able to donate its 12" wheel and you'll be back on the road in no time. I've picked up secondhand ones for a fiver, new shouldn't be more than £15 or so.

As with any 25year old vehicle , you will experience a few snags - and they are bound to crop up at the least convenient time.

Fun and frustration in equal measure , the joy of owning a c5  :).   

« Last Edit: 22, September, 2009 - 11:22:16 by BooBoo »

Offline mike7201

« Reply #21 on: 22, September, 2009 - 13:02:30 »
Thanks Karl, I really appreicate your support.  It's great to have friends looking out for me and my C5.

I hope the cycle shop know what they're doing! 

One thing which does frustrate me though is when people say "Oh you'll never get that fixed" or "Blimey, you can't get parts for that now" and "I wouldn't touch one of those with a barge pole"

Nothing worse than kicking a guy when he's down!  :(

Still, never mind.  We'll see what happens!

Mike

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #22 on: 22, September, 2009 - 15:45:16 »
Hi Mike - thanks for sharing your C5 diary with us all - I guess we have all had the high and lows but you learn to bounce back because overall C5 ownership is a great thing.

One thing to note - I was chatting to Adam 'Santa' Harper and the only part you can not get new is the front wheel cowl - so you can let the negative people know that 'Oh actually all the parts are still available - be it from one of the three C5 CHAMPS -Karl 'yep I've got one drop me an email' or Adam 'Santa' Harper not forgetting C5 'just where does he get it from' Martin.

Another thing I've found is the guy's on the forum are more than willing to help you sort any problem you may find as most have seen it themselves.Your in the right place - it's just like riding a horse - get back on and have another go ... Enjoy.

Karl

« Reply #23 on: 22, September, 2009 - 17:11:50 »
Marty - Top comments mate , made me smile  ;D :D ;)

Offline mike7201

« Reply #24 on: 24, September, 2009 - 09:46:27 »
Superb. 

Popped into the bike shop yesterday.  The guy who collected my C5 wasn't in.  Typical!  Aparently he's not in today either and the earliest he can check it over will be tomorrow or Saturday.   :-\

Not too sure whether I'm going to keep the plastic wheels.  Like you showed me Karl, there's more suitable alternatives.  Having said this, I am guessing had I not been braking so hard I wouldn't have had the heat problem on the wheel.

I really must get a camera sorted, then I can take some pictures of my C5 along the dorset coastline.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: 24, September, 2009 - 14:40:43 »
This might be something of nothing, but whilst at brooklands I looked at Karls metal front wheel, his front cover did not fit as well as it should. Just thought  I would mention it. Yours may well fit ok.

Offline mike7201

« Reply #26 on: 24, September, 2009 - 15:48:20 »
Blimey - I hadn't thought about that!

Don't suppose it'd matter too much.  Are you referring to the fact that on Karl's images you can see a little spillage of red?  If that's the only concern then I may have no choice.  However, if it meant that I couldn't have the front cover on at all I would rather have a buckled wheel than not have my C5 livery!  Long live C5 branding - that's what I say!!  8)

Karl

« Reply #27 on: 24, September, 2009 - 17:28:04 »
Umpa makes a fair point, but there is nothing to worry about mate - it is still well worth fitting a steel wheel.

The front shroud clips to the forks and also has a plastic tube type bit that slips over the front axle.

The axle on a Sinclair wheel is longer than normal, but there is still enough left on a steel wheel to grip the shroud.

Mine was a bit out of alignment coz it moved during transportation in the Dial-a-ride bus. During normal use it is fine. :)

Offline mike7201

« Reply #28 on: 24, September, 2009 - 21:34:52 »
Cheers,

Thanks for the stickers too, they're great.  Received them yesterday and they'll be just the job.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #29 on: 29, September, 2009 - 19:18:47 »
Hi Mike is your C5 back on the road ?