News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 1837 times)

Offline Kudos

• Battery level: 1
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
Introduction
« on: 13, December, 2012 - 14:36:09 »
Hi,

Just a quick intro.

I have yet to get hold of a C5, always wanted one since they first came out but being on Guernsey there aren't many around, in fact I've never even seen one in the flesh as it were.

I do intend to purchase one next year as a project.

I'm coming from the world of DIY electric bikes which I just got into a year or so ago. Due to this I'm now very familiar with battery technology, electric power configurations, different types of motor etc.

I have so many questions to ask to the knowledgeable here but I'm not sure this is the correct sub forum, so I'll ask in the right place.

I'm not an originality minded person and won't be looking to have a perfectly restored example. I'm more into updating old designs with new technology. Wolf in sheep's clothing as it were.

From looking at the builds here it would seem that most are using original or leisure batteries for high Ah. This is anathema in the ebike world, far to large and heavy. We tend to use lithium based batteries Lifepo4 or LiPo. I personally use HobbyKing Nano-Tech RC batteries.

Maybe the weight is required for stability?

My initial thoughts looking at the C5 power train are to rip out the motor and associated electronics and add a geared hub motor and chain drive, appropriate controller and cycle analyst display.

However, I would only do this if the standard powertrain can't be made to get you up to 20mph-ish on the flat and most importantly where I live able to get you up steep hills with ease.

I see there are various ways to run the C5 on 24V which seems to makes things more fun but I've been unable to find on the forums a definitive answer to whether this can be done reliably. One person says I've been running 24V for years, other have pictures of destroyed cogs etc.

Right, I'm off to ask questions in the right sub-forum hopefully!

Cheers,
Lee

Karl

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 14, December, 2012 - 10:02:59 »
welcome to c5alive matie  8)

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #2 on: 14, December, 2012 - 13:21:56 »
Hi there Check out this on the forum  " The Chas section " And go to "My next restortion and conversion to 24 volt for Paul "

Bye Chas

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #3 on: 17, December, 2012 - 10:11:29 »
The C5 was conceived with a 15 mph top speed so as to comply with regulations for road use, and its extremely unlikely that even the most fastidiously set up standard example would exceed that speed on the flat, or even achieve it in reality...As for hills, pedal, and turn off the motor to prevent overheating when you are going quite slowly.!
The heavy battery is not there for ballast, its just a relatively cheap energy source.