News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: Limiting the voltage of the original charger  (Read 2728 times)

Offline gertk

• Battery level: 6
  • When in doubt: C5
Limiting the voltage of the original charger
« on: 11, May, 2013 - 17:36:00 »
Today I tried to reverse enigineer the original C5 charger. The new battery I got must not be charged with a voltage over 14.4 Volts but the original charger goes up to 15.7 before throttling down and that might destroy the battery.
The controller is a potted circuit board with mostly unrecognizable parts. There is a single 100k resistor connected to two pins but changing the value of it does not change the maximum voltage.
Has anyone tried to modify the charger ? Are there any circuit diagrams for the charger ?

If not I could try to make a new 'controller' which re-uses the power parts (the SCR's and such) and will generate the right charging curve for the new battery.

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
Re: Limiting the voltage of the original charger
« Reply #1 on: 12, May, 2013 - 09:31:18 »
Hi there .There are no circuit diagrams for the charger . And I have never tried to modify the it ....

Offline gertk

• Battery level: 6
  • When in doubt: C5
Re: Limiting the voltage of the original charger
« Reply #2 on: 10, June, 2013 - 18:50:14 »
I decided to keep the original charger in its original form and have bought a HQ 7-stage intelligent charger which will be mounted in the boot with an extension cable ready to be plugged in anywhere...