News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: My 2 new project C5s!  (Read 4470 times)

Offline POZE

• Battery level: 1
My 2 new project C5s!
« on: 01, February, 2011 - 21:02:05 »
Hello all

Finally got my C5s delivered today, the ones from this Sales forum!

They were stored since 1990 in the roof of a boat house in Leamington, they came along with 5 or 6 chargers, maybe 10 various wheels.

There both pretty complete, they have the front wheel covers in the boot, tool kit, keys for both. One has a duel battery conv, poss 24v? looks original as the same orig connectors either side and official sticket on the centre console stating "turn both batteries on before starting" or something like this...!

Really dirty, but very pleased, good to have some new projects!

After a few spares, added to the Wanted - the small tab to hold the display on and battery tops (assuming i can still get the batterys to fit/work with this setup).

Cheers,

Karl

Re: My 2 new project C5s!
« Reply #1 on: 01, February, 2011 - 21:06:21 »
Top result there mate, well done  8)

Good to see a couple more being saved  ;)

Offline POZE

« Reply #2 on: 01, February, 2011 - 21:13:17 »
Nice1, very pleased, always good to save these things - love them!

I noticed one has a standard chain tensioner underneath, but the other is more advanced, only had a quick look, but has 2 'cogs' (cant think of the real name) rather than 1. I'll get some pics over the weekend of them, certainly be keen to get the Ciff on them!

oh and see this 24v situation.

I'll certainly be ordering a few complete sets of tyres/inners soon! Cheers,

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 01, February, 2011 - 21:24:49 »
If you want that battery top mentioned in the other topic I could place it to one side & include it in the same parcel and save on the postage.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #4 on: 02, February, 2011 - 06:03:35 »
Great stuff, what a collection you have have, would you be able to post a couple of pictures of the VW Beetles ? the red one looks like my old 69 one.

Retro Andy.

Offline POZE

« Reply #5 on: 07, February, 2011 - 22:04:39 »
hI ALL
a few piccies of the VWs, but not the Convertible, thats a 1964 usa model, restored last year.

My main love is the family (of course), classic VWs, C5s and Tamiyas.

Cheers,

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #6 on: 08, February, 2011 - 06:25:04 »
I remember these pictures know, looks like you have a nice collection  :)

Retro Andy.
« Last Edit: 08, February, 2011 - 07:18:33 by Retro Andy »

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #7 on: 08, February, 2011 - 07:19:11 »
Here's my old Beetle from back in the day

Retro Andy.

Offline vanpeebles

« Reply #8 on: 08, February, 2011 - 07:59:45 »
Ah those old Choppers, my mate had one and it weighed a ton! What Tamiyas do you have? A Sand Scorcher and Monster Beetle?  ;)

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #9 on: 08, February, 2011 - 10:34:43 »
Dude love your collection if only I had the space !!!!!!!

Offline POZE

« Reply #10 on: 11, February, 2011 - 23:41:03 »
Cheers all for the decent comments! nice ones

Love the Coke Cola Beetle, really old school 1990s! nice look for sure, would stand out nicely these days!

Im lucky to have the ability to hide all this stuff from the wife, have attained a nack to getting away with stuff...! The Tamiyas though are generally in the loft,keeps the house tidy, i own about 40, generally everyhthing i wanted when i was a boy and couldnt afford and didnt have any! so i made it a mission to get all that i wanted from the Tamiya cat that i looked through for maybe 10 years of my child hood!
3 avantes, couple of monster beetles, various other monster trucks/clods etc, thunder dragon, fire dragon, astute, Lunchbox, loads really! love them
Kind of love all my stuff really, its what life is for - makes me happy to spend 10 hours staring at some screens, knowing i have stuff at home i want.  Makes work worthwhile!!

Offline vanpeebles

« Reply #11 on: 12, February, 2011 - 09:22:25 »
Hehehe I know what you mean. I have a lot of old school ones that I wanted as a kid, Grasshopper 2, Monster Beetle, Thunder Dragon(my fave), Falcon, Clod, Manta Ray, Lunchbox. I'd love an Avante re-re but I'll have to flog my RC10 stuff first.

Offline POZE

« Reply #12 on: 14, March, 2011 - 19:06:45 »
Hi all
Just an update on the project C5s ! :

As per the top pic, I've been working more on the No 7 one for my 3 year old daughter, she loves them but even with the booster seat on, shes way to short so shes a long way off riding it herself.

So, we cleaned it all up, fitted a nos chain, changed the front brakes for some new c5 ones (softer im told that BMX style ones),  sorted a few issues in the pod and control box, from memory we had a blown R21 in the pod, blown R1 in the control box and 1A fuse gone. We have a duel battery setup on this one and no key for the right side lock. So we had to bypass that loop in the control box to get the power up.  Did all this and we have power on the pod! (Im still looking at this slight mod, to see why we needed to do it, incase its something obvious we just didnt do ).

We loosely connected up a battery with decent croc clips (my C5 runs quick release terminals , not the orig battery top), and  I took it for is first run in about 20 years I believe. It was very smooth, much better than my C5, just felt quiet and smooth etc.

So now its all working, we put on a set of new Sinclair tyres, which are superb, used Horn, mast and seat pad. Runs nice.

Plan for the next few weeks is to try and continue to clean it up , maybe with a wall paper stripper. Then possibly fit some indicators, i'm not sure whether to use them on this one or hold onto them for a Grey boot C5 which is what i personally want as my final C5. Dont want to drill any holes unless there permanently staying on it etc.

Ideally id like to find someone who still sells C5 Indicators for like £20, that would be nice, then we could all have them!

Karl

« Reply #13 on: 15, March, 2011 - 12:32:55 »
Indicators are a bit of problem scenario.

If you drill a good bodyshell to fit a set, what happens if you damage one of the lenses ? Spares are virtually impossible to obtain so you're then faced with having to fit a modern alternative. Okay if you're not a "tradionalist" but an irritant if you are  :)

Nice to see a few more c5's back on the road  8)