News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: My 36/72 v renovation  (Read 6957 times)

marra

My 36/72 v renovation
« on: 02, September, 2011 - 14:20:07 »
Hi. Well after some time in a garage I have finally got close to the end of my conversion. I decided to have a go at a hub drive system ( German ) that has variable torque/voltage controller and do away with the existing motor and gearbox.
  I used an old dog of a C5 that looked pretty sad at the time that had all its guts ripped out already by a previous owner.
  With this I had the following done:
*Chassis sandblasted and strengthened and powder coated.
*The Axle due to hollow I had it cut and a new one made of SOLID STAINLESS STEEL ( ouch )
*Front and rear disc brake
*Bander chain ( stainless steel with a 320 kg brake allowance )
*36 / 72 volt German hub fitted with a Hope chain ring.
*2 x 36volt Lion - Lifpo4 batteries .
*All new bearings and bearing runners, ( pillar )
*Chain tensioner ,stainless steel throat and press of 6kg to help sag.
*Hope rear sprocket, 36 click, nice and quiet.
*A 12mm steel housing to hold the hub and strengthen chassis. ( I got help with the welding )
*A boss to hold both the drive gear and disc brake.
*Strip lights underneath ,Red underside at rear , blue direct under and white around the front wheel. This lights up the front wheel cover reflectors and gives a good visibility.
Results:
36 V HT = 18mph up hill + 23 on flat.
36 v HS = 32 mph on flat , Not good up a hill
72 v HS = 48 mph on flat .... gave up as nearly **** myself.

I dont think the 72 v was worth it to be honest as the c5 was 'Wobbling' on the steering quite a bit. The quest for speed on the C5 should be limited as the faster you go the joy seems to diminish. Running on 36v was quite enjoyable as in HT throttle was steady on just about all terrain and hills. So with this I will just connect the batteries for 36v, much nicer ride.
  To finish, decals on side and rear wheel covers and refit the front cover with new decals and the others are dirty.
  Hope this was an interesting view. thanks M

« Last Edit: 02, September, 2011 - 15:01:34 by marra »

Karl

Re: My 36/72 v renovation
« Reply #1 on: 02, September, 2011 - 17:34:36 »
I love the fact that it looks so standard from the outside  8)

It's also obvious that a lot of time, effort and money have gone into that...a really nice job mate, should be proud of yourself  :)

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #2 on: 02, September, 2011 - 17:55:43 »
Now that is nice ......   8)

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #3 on: 02, September, 2011 - 19:46:49 »
Hi Marra,

Very nice work, well impressed, well done.

Lance

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #4 on: 03, September, 2011 - 07:22:35 »
Well done it looks great hope to see it one day ....Chas

Offline vanpeebles

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #5 on: 03, September, 2011 - 11:46:06 »
I love it, awesome work but I find that Commodore logo disrespectful!  ;)

marra

« Reply #6 on: 03, September, 2011 - 17:48:45 »
Hi. Thanks for pos comments .Booboo, the cost did escalate alittle  ::) but the batteries I already had for some ebikes, I have a Crystalyte that does about 50mph on flat, I dont do it as this is for a display model and lets face it, its alittle fast. As for the rest the components were not to bad when taking in account to replace with new old stock c5 parts. Time wise... I now know every mark on the garage floor where I worked and on ceiling when I looked up with the thought 'what the hell am I doing !'. Vanpeebles , I have now removed the Commodore sticker, you are right it was pointless on a Sinclair especially as I hated the commodore users as I had a Sinclair spectrum  ;D . .... speccy rules Chas, it will end up at an event for you to have a go on if you wish.  :) Lance , Plod, Dave thanks for comments. M
« Last Edit: 03, September, 2011 - 17:50:51 by marra »

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #7 on: 04, September, 2011 - 08:58:18 »
That is really nice, I'm thinking if the C5 was like that back in 1985, it would have really cool  :)

Retro Andy.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #8 on: 04, September, 2011 - 15:42:30 »
That is a work of art bud - well done - really hope to see it in the flesh very soon  :) :) :) :)

Offline Pyrasanth

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #9 on: 05, September, 2011 - 06:49:38 »
I think you should start making them it looks absolutely brilliant. But I'm sure this has cost a packet bet your glad you have nearly got it finished so you can get out on it, oh and I love the brakes gone are the days of pull and hope for the best ;)

copendriver

« Reply #10 on: 13, September, 2011 - 00:19:07 »
Hi Marra

That is just too cool for school & looks amazing & agree with Karl that it's all the more wicked for remaining understated outwardly but a potential speed demon lays beneath..... :D

I'm just marveling at all the man hours & head scratching that must have gone into machine....Maybe you need a chat with Sir Clive huh? Give him a bit of a bunk up!  ;D ???

The bright orange chassis reminds me of the brightly colour Brompton folding bikes that are popular in London & they even come in that shade.
I've Green Brompton called Kermit.......

Did you kept a track on the cost of this conversion & do you think it's viable solution or was it a labour of love & very expensive?

The strip lighting underneath is very "too fast n furious" huh wonder could you post us a night time shot & show us all how she looks then? Only when you have some spare time of course!

Inspired.

Neil

Offline thedesigntailor

• Battery level: 5
  • designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #11 on: 13, September, 2011 - 20:51:08 »
I'll second that- how much did it cost and what kind of performance will you get from it?

marra

« Reply #12 on: 14, September, 2011 - 11:51:16 »
Hi Marra

That is just too cool for school & looks amazing & agree with Karl that it's all the more wicked for remaining understated outwardly but a potential speed demon lays beneath..... :D

I'm just marveling at all the man hours & head scratching that must have gone into machine....Maybe you need a chat with Sir Clive huh? Give him a bit of a bunk up!  ;D ???

The bright orange chassis reminds me of the brightly colour Brompton folding bikes that are popular in London & they even come in that shade.
I've Green Brompton called Kermit.......

Did you kept a track on the cost of this conversion & do you think it's viable solution or was it a labour of love & very expensive?

The strip lighting underneath is very "too fast n furious" huh wonder could you post us a night time shot & show us all how she looks then? Only when you have some spare time of course!

Inspired.

Neil

Hi Neil. I also have an orange Brompton, and yes its Orange  ;D . The Ones in London may be the newer S type ( I cannot believe they called them that ). Also have an old Curly Hetchins .The costs,,, well ermm ,,, Here goes.

Sand blast and coat chassis, A frame and forks  = £ 40
Rear metal housing, and chassis strenghen inc steel and welding as I did the cutting  = £ 45
Front and rear discs + callipers and fabricated forks for ISO disc mount inc steel wheel = £ 120
HT stainless steel chains = £ 48 ( I get a discount from rrp £ 74 )
Hope chain ring and sprocket and free wheel = £ 80 ( rrp £ 140 as I deal with hope distributor at factory)
stainless steel axle = £ 40
SKF HS bearing and pillar / Flange = £ 30
36/72 V German hub ( not to UK legal watts ) with steel internal gears = £ 430 ( delivered )
Digital throttle = £ 57
Digital high amp controller = £ 260
Strip lights and ancillaries = £ 20

:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\   Good job as I already stock the batteries as they are £570 each .

......... Did I miss something, Dont want to think . As a labour of love, I dunno. I just thought as I build electric cycles I thought I would do what I know is reliable to a C5.
  This could have been done on a cheaper option by using Crystalyte kit ( 50% cheaper ) or a Baffang, a chinese brushless version. Motors are good but the controllers can have problems. I have no regrets with this as the torque is fantastic in HT and the battery life is very good and I dont have to think about replacement parts stock levels. Its a very tough c5 now.
  Im sure there are things I have forgotten, aint going to tally it up as its jaw dropping. M

marra

« Reply #13 on: 14, September, 2011 - 11:52:06 »
I'll second that- how much did it cost and what kind of performance will you get from it?
Hi, the speeds are at the top. M

Offline MikeDX

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #14 on: 14, September, 2011 - 12:21:57 »
I love the brakes gone are the days of pull and hope for the best ;)

I want those days to be gone too!!