News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: J'ai un C5!!!!  (Read 41876 times)

Offline minimin

• Battery level: 0
J'ai un C5!!!!
« on: 21, April, 2009 - 20:48:57 »
Hello!
After many moons I finally have myself a C5! After searching on eBay, i saw one 10 miles away, and after having missed out on the last one close to home, I made an offer and I picked it up last night  :)
The electrics are all in a box, and have all been serviced by Adam Harper, so should be in good nick. I have never had more people stop me to say hello in one trip. I took it out for a test run today, and was really surprised to see how fast it went, even if I did have a few near death experiences (the brakes broke! :o) but about 6 people stopped me to say how great it was to see one - one person even remembered seeing the launch on the BBC!

Mark

Karl

Re: J'ai un C5!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 21, April, 2009 - 20:52:31 »
Superb behaviour mate  ;D

Some really good news !

Offline minimin

« Reply #2 on: 21, April, 2009 - 21:31:53 »
Superb behaviour mate  ;D

Some really good news !

Thanks. Your advice on the brake cable was much appreciated. I will be at the bike shop tomorrow morning! I zipped along on the C5 to the bike shop which was shut!!!! So, just a few questions. First, what is a good way to clean it? Really cleaning it. Its filthy. Also, how do you smooth out holes/scratches?
Mark

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #3 on: 21, April, 2009 - 21:46:38 »
What a great picture, had to be done.

Retro Andy

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 21, April, 2009 - 21:49:46 »

......So, just a few questions. First, what is a good way to clean it? Really cleaning it. Its filthy. Also, how do you smooth out holes/scratches?
Mark

cleaning ---> http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=335.0

Offline minimin

« Reply #5 on: 21, April, 2009 - 22:55:40 »
Thanks Karl, will do that tomorrow. It came with the two wheel covers but no centre bit, so do you know if I could buy them anywhere, or am I best of sticking to eBay? Also are the wing mirrors meant to be really bendy?
Thanks
Mark

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #6 on: 22, April, 2009 - 06:58:57 »
Hi Mark,

I'm really glad you got a C5 they are awesome machines.  I know what you mean about the attention you get on one - people just love the C5.

As for the centre hubs, you might struggle, I was lucky enough to get some, but I spoke to Adam Harper about getting some, and the bad news is they were never supplied as a seperate item, even tho they have a part number, then only come with complete hubcaps.  Adam sells these at 40  quid each, but they are brand new mind.

I think you can buy some non original ones I have seen some somewhere but I'm one of these funny buggers that like original parts :)

As for wing mirrors being bendy - not really the plastic case bends if you wobble them but they should be quite firm.  I got some new ones from adam, and make the thing look fantastic - and they really work too.

Good luck with ya C5 dude

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: 22, April, 2009 - 07:01:58 by Umpa »

Karl

« Reply #7 on: 22, April, 2009 - 14:57:16 »
Thanks Karl, will do that tomorrow. It came with the two wheel covers but no centre bit, so do you know if I could buy them anywhere, or am I best of sticking to eBay? Also are the wing mirrors meant to be really bendy?
Thanks
Mark

Non-original centre caps: http://c5alive.co.uk/ecommerce/product_info.php?cPath=4&products_id=20&osCsid=da37f16164d1637b0d5b6b552e3a77f1

Obviously they look different to the originals, but they still look okay and are a cheap way of improving the look of a c5 if the original centre caps are missing. I've fitted them to one of my own C5's.

The mirrors do flex and wobble , and need to be fitted using the black plastic clips. I suspect these are designed to allow the mirror to unclip on impact without damaging the bodywork.   

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 22, April, 2009 - 18:16:35 »
I know I had seen em somewhere LOL.

As for the mirrors - mine don't wobble just the bodywork they are attached to.

When I fitted mine I had to drill two holes and they screwed on with the black clips you mention.

I was really impressed by the way you can move the mirrors (like on a car).

Offline minimin

« Reply #9 on: 22, April, 2009 - 19:42:09 »
OK. C5 is cleaned up. It has started to click away!!! But it cant be the motor, because its not yet installed? Any ideas?

Offline minimin

« Reply #10 on: 22, April, 2009 - 19:57:54 »
OK. C5 is cleaned up. It has started to click away!!! But it cant be the motor, because its not yet installed? Any ideas?

REVISION.
I've had a look and it is the chain, which makes the noise as it passes under the Chassis, in the middle of the Y. But what can I do to stop the noise? The chain is only new.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: 22, April, 2009 - 21:24:49 »
my chain is a pain too,

Usually they jump under load and come off the chain tensioner.

Is that what you mean ?

Offline minimin

« Reply #12 on: 22, April, 2009 - 22:30:31 »
my chain is a pain too,

Usually they jump under load and come off the chain tensioner.

Is that what you mean ?

Sort of.... There is no tensioner. It doesn't change when there is a rider or not, but when you push the pedals, you can see it hitting the frame. Also, when there is a leaf (very mechanical) pushing it does click but not so loud. So I suppose I need a big leaf?
Mark

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: 22, April, 2009 - 22:34:59 »
I dont know what you mean by leaf, there should be a tensioner without it the chain will jump.

Offline minimin

« Reply #14 on: 22, April, 2009 - 22:51:53 »
I dont know what you mean by leaf, there should be a tensioner without it the chain will jump.

Right, when you look at the C5 with no motor, through the back, you can see straight forward and the chain, which loops round. There is no sort of tensioner, just a chain and 2 cogs.