0 (0%)
new
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Hi all  (Read 3036 times)

c5virgin

Hi all
« on: 31, March, 2011 - 10:44:28 »
Hi all, Jusy bought, after a long time trying to find a c5 with my budget, one down in southend. picking up fri night (1st april). needs a battery and possibly tyres. from what i have read on here i will try a type 063 car battery to start with but would like to put 2 on, I have a friend whom I helped to do a boat up with and he knows alot about leisure batteries. Think I will let him do the research and try his reccomendation and let everyone know how i get on. Any advice on things to watch for and driving help would be much appreciated.

ScubaChris

Re: Hi all
« Reply #1 on: 31, March, 2011 - 10:54:17 »
Hey there, welcome to the forum  :D

I'm currently using an old car battery that I had kicking round the garage, just to test things out. My intention is to fit a leisure battery such as an Elecsol when my C5 is back on the road. Car batteries can't be drained to empty regularly without incurring damage whereas leisure batteries can.

Make sure you post up some pics in the gallery when you get it and I'm sure the knowledgeable guys on here will give you the help you need.

C.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #2 on: 31, March, 2011 - 12:35:23 »
Welcome to the C5 Alive forum, good luck for Friday and post some pictures when you get it, you will find all the help and advise you need here aswell as spares etc  :)

Retro Andy.

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 31, March, 2011 - 19:41:09 »
Good luck with your new purchase mate , as Andy says don't forget to add some piccies here....it's a sort of fetish we all have  :o ;D

Even if your "new" c5 has more than its fair share of gremlins, there's enough people on here willing to help out and collectively I reckon we have the answers to 99.999 per cent of all known problems affecting the c5 - so it should make owning a c5 a lot less scary  8)

c5virgin

« Reply #4 on: 31, March, 2011 - 20:31:11 »
Many thanks all, will post pictures probably sat night, will definately be in touch for advice and help! just spoke to the guy and he said he found the original charger to go with it so its all complete (except battery)  will keep you posted!

c5virgin

« Reply #5 on: 01, April, 2011 - 22:27:05 »
Well just got home, too dark for pictures and a really good look but im very impressed with it!
here are the good points
few scratches, nothing major
original rear tyres still inflated!
no battery but informed and shown when i picked it up it has a set up for 3!
serial number on original sticker is v 100050103455
underneath is not bad at all, frame only has light rust only

bad points
I have never ridden one, so dont know when the electric cuts in or how to do that but im sure a good long sat will cure that!

front tyre is white? but does look pretty cool, will replace though
lots of wires underneath that dont go anywhere
brake cable missing

apart from that im really happy and for 185 off ebay i was prepared for alot worse!
am i right that there are members from brandon in suffolk? that would be good as im in soham, ely!
pictures will follow tomorrow night

ScubaChris

« Reply #6 on: 01, April, 2011 - 22:43:29 »
Welcome to C5 ownership mate  :D Looking forward to seeing the pics!

Judging by your serial number, your C5 was built in January '85 - 2 months before mine.

The electric motor cuts in whenever you push the button on the left handlebar grip (hidden beneath the plastic grip cover). Looks like it's the same kind of microswitch used in most computer joysticks from the Sinclair era.  ;)

Missing brake cable - they'll probably both need replacing anyway. New ones are available from the C5alive shop.

Tyres & inner tubes will no doubt need renewing too if they are originals.

C.

c5virgin

« Reply #7 on: 01, April, 2011 - 22:53:10 »
Thanks chris,
I now have a birthdate for her! I found out tonight that im the second owner and that it has been in storage for about 13 years, the previous owner died and her husband did not want to get rid of it but time and space must have forced him to. bit of a sad story but im glad I got her and since seeing 'Micro men' on bbc3 the urge just got more and more! mugs and t-shirts are on order, need keys though, none with it, most probably need to replace the lock at the back.
will get tyre set and cable set shortly from here.
thanks again, nice to know there are lots of friends on here for advice and help!
cheers
pete

ScubaChris

« Reply #8 on: 01, April, 2011 - 23:00:34 »
I wanted one when they first came out in '85 but I wasn't even 13 years old then. The C5 was always one of those memorable objects from my past that rekindled all those great memories of the 80s. Funnily enough it was that Micro Men programme that finally pushed me into getting a c5! It only took me 26 years...  ;D

C.

c5virgin

« Reply #9 on: 01, April, 2011 - 23:09:18 »
Well chris i was 12 when they came out, told my dad to but one as I thought then it was the future then! He bought a mitsubishi shogun instead in 87 but we had great holidays in that, I really want to pull up beside a Prius and look them up and down and when they open the window to ask if its a c5 I will just reply 'It is, where are your f**king pedals'!!!!

becks

« Reply #10 on: 02, April, 2011 - 08:15:15 »
hi c5 vigin yes your right the c5 does have a big following in brandon i myself have 3 plumber 2 and jason 11 with 6 working ones i think if a c5 run was set up im sure we could get some great numbers. i think there are  other c5 members quite near from kings lyn that would join in.marc.

c5virgin

« Reply #11 on: 02, April, 2011 - 12:38:16 »
Hi all, put 2 new battery's on her, lights work, motor not working, light pod on right works and all lit up however the left one just flashes on and off, microswitch works and power ok. not very good with electrics im afraid so if someone can help I would be very thankfull. fuses all ok