News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: My First C5  (Read 7131 times)

ironside82

My First C5
« on: 10, December, 2009 - 21:25:29 »
Hi All,

Finally picked up my Ebay win today.. got it home and took some pics:

http://www.jamesblackburn.co.uk/C5/

Its in a bit of a state, going to be doing it up over the next few months hopefully. So ill probably be asking a lot of questions.

Chassis first i think.. Looks like only surface rust.. sand down and paint??

James

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
Re: My First C5
« Reply #1 on: 10, December, 2009 - 22:07:09 »
looks from the chain like your going to need a lot of WD40 (i'd barter for a bulk order with Halfords ;) )

loads of info in here, and i've found many members will be happy to advise where they can.

some might have spare parts tro sell/barter, so i suggest list what you need and keep us informed of progress.

regs
alan

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #2 on: 10, December, 2009 - 23:38:28 »
Hi James - great that you have a C5 - Good to see the before photo's too - keep us posted on your progress - any questions please ask and we will help where we can.

Regards Marty

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #3 on: 11, December, 2009 - 10:09:38 »
HI THERE IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE A BRITTLE FINGER MOTOR ....BE CARFULL BEFORE STRIPPING IT DOWN ....CHECK THE SITE ON HOW TO ......

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 11, December, 2009 - 17:22:00 »
Chas is right, looks like one of the first items on your shopping list with Adam Harper will be a set of "cream fingers" to replace those "brown fingers".
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=322.0

It is an easy and cheap item to replace - the brown ones will snap, just ask Radiomarty, his face was a picture when I demonstrated just how brittle they are  ;D

Looks like the c5 is fairly complete and should scrub up nice  8)

Check the links found in the forum guide, the handbook should come in useful;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=627.0
« Last Edit: 11, December, 2009 - 17:25:37 by BooBoo »

ironside82

« Reply #5 on: 11, December, 2009 - 21:01:17 »
Thanks for all the info so far.

Was all prepared for a strip down this evening and got stumped by the crank removal stage to get the pedals off.

Are these crank removal tools a standard size?

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 11, December, 2009 - 21:22:25 »
Are these crank removal tools a standard size?

..mmm, not sure if they come in different sizes.

The one pictured in the link came from Evans Cycles;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=239.0

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #7 on: 11, December, 2009 - 23:52:54 »
I brought a crank tool from Halfords recently - only seemed to be one size in stock - a point to note if you buy one with a fixed handle you will need to remove the pedals first then the arms - if you buy one that fits onto a ratchet you can leave the pedals on the arms.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #8 on: 12, December, 2009 - 08:37:29 »
Hi James, I bet you're really looking forward to getting stuck into the restoration of your C5, it might look like it needs a lot of work, but it looks all complete which is important as parts can be hard to find, with a lot of tlc, a new chain and tyres etc you will soon be on the road, keep us update with your progress.

Retro Andy.

ironside82

« Reply #9 on: 12, December, 2009 - 19:49:42 »
Well finally had a good go at it this afternoon, tired out now. Got robbed for £16 for a crank tool at the bike shop. The chap asked me what it was for, I mentioned it was for a Sinclair C5, didn't even bat an eyelid and lead me straight to the tool

I've managed to get the chassis free from the body. It was quite hard work. First off the pedal bearing cover wouldn't come off, Finally after much hammering it started to work loose.

I gave up with the handle bar stem, it wasn't budging, despite using the tips I found on the forum. So I widened the hold in the body and it popped out. Not sure how i'm going to get it back in mind!

I was inspecting the wiring.. Seems pretty simple.. However there were a few loose wires some which just end and others that have spade terminals on them.. Are they additional for wiring in the horn / indicators etc or are they detached from somewhere. If so I can't see where they come from.

Going to start the rubdown another day. Can anyone suggest the best battery / charger to get

All the best

James

Karl

« Reply #10 on: 12, December, 2009 - 21:55:44 »

I gave up with the handle bar stem, it wasn't budging, despite using the tips I found on the forum. So I widened the hold in the body and it popped out. Not sure how i'm going to get it back in mind!

Removing the handlebar stem is potentially the most frustrating part as the parts can rust themselves together. 

Now that the body is off you should be able to apply some heat to the stem without fear of melting the shell  :)

I placed a chassis upside down on a vice secured to a large workbench and used a hammer, and large screwdriver as a drift, to hammer the stem out after it had been heated. The vice was used to support the chassis at the other end of the stem.

You have to be careful when doing this as it is very easy to damage the soft metal of the chassis  :o

I was inspecting the wiring.. Seems pretty simple.. However there were a few loose wires some which just end and others that have spade terminals on them.. Are they additional for wiring in the horn / indicators etc or are they detached from somewhere. If so I can't see where they come from.

You're correct - the loose connections are for the other accessories.

As for batteries, the debate on car versus leisure batteries continues...

There are several threads on the subject  ;)
« Last Edit: 12, December, 2009 - 22:01:35 by BooBoo »

ironside82

« Reply #11 on: 13, December, 2009 - 13:57:11 »
Not looking forward to doing that. I'm gussing the stem and the piece on the top of the stem that grips the handle bars stay together. And it's just the stem that slides out of the chassis

The steering shaft popped out of the ball and sockect joints. I thought I'd totalled it to start with when I heard a loud bang. This pops back together ok. I hope it doesn't come out during a drive!!

Is it worth getting the chassis sand blasted or is it easiest to go at it with sand paper to remove the bulk of the rust and then paint it?

Thanks again for all your help so far.

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #12 on: 13, December, 2009 - 19:50:48 »
Not looking forward to doing that. I'm gussing the stem and the piece on the top of the stem that grips the handle bars stay together. And it's just the stem that slides out of the chassis

The steering shaft popped out of the ball and sockect joints. I thought I'd totalled it to start with when I heard a loud bang. This pops back together ok. I hope it doesn't come out during a drive!!

Is it worth getting the chassis sand blasted or is it easiest to go at it with sand paper to remove the bulk of the rust and then paint it?

Thanks again for all your help so far.

Hi James,

bein new to the C5 scene i've ponderered the same issues.

fortunately i have a 'spare' chassis and a 'spare' C5 shell to play with. overall i'd think it would depend on the amount of rust and decay on the chassis.

both my frames are not that bad, so i'm going for wire wool and 4" grinder mounted rotary wire brushes to rid the old flaky paint from them. a good coat of rust cure, then to finish coat them black stone enamel for future protection.

my view is not to skimp especially on the chassis, you hardly want to strip it down every 2 years or so for repaint. these machines i ahve noted have recently risen substantially in value so imo your work will likely be well repaid, might even turn a profit,. and you will have all the fun as well (especially if you come on the C5Alive meets).

plaes keep in touch to compare notes

regs
alan

ironside82

« Reply #13 on: 17, December, 2009 - 22:30:01 »
Well just fired the electrics up this evening having bought the Halfords 70Ah Leisure battery and...

Everything worked.. motor, pod even the light bulbs were ok.. I couldn't believe it.

Looking good so far. The motor did sound a bit rough so that'll be the next thing to sort out.. How much are the new cream fingers from Mr Harper. Those brown ones are starting to break already!

Karl

« Reply #14 on: 17, December, 2009 - 22:46:22 »
You're right the brown fingers are not good at all - from memory I think the cream ones are about £25-£30 new from Adam