News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: My C5 with LCD display  (Read 24603 times)

Offline dansretropod

• Battery level: 3
  • The C5 was born to be customised... 3D style
    • www.c5owners.com
Re: My C5 with LCD display
« Reply #30 on: 30, December, 2012 - 16:38:33 »
Thanks for the comment Chas!

what you have done its way beyond me

That's frequently what I think when reading your many posts ;)

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 5
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #31 on: 30, December, 2012 - 17:02:50 »
This should be my solution to my not working pod  8) 8)

Offline dansretropod

• www.c5owners.com
« Reply #32 on: 30, December, 2012 - 18:21:02 »
Thanks for the comments guys. 

This should be my solution to my not working pod

I've never had the pleasure of driving a C5 with a working POD ;) my C5 was missing its POD and all it's electrics when I got it and was just running from a 12V relay between the battery and motor, which whilst minimal, meant I never had to worry about faulty ULA's etc, just an over heating motor :) :)

I would love one but I would not no were to start

I've probably made this look way more complicated than it actually is.  I think that if you know some basic electronics, can solder and have maybe used an arduino before, then I hope the above will provide some inspiration to others to modernize their C5.  I myself only know basic electronics and this is my first arduino project, I just wanted to see what I could do with the two (C5 and arduino).

Can you not do phils ula chip ?

I think that would be a bit too much for me at the moment.  If I ever find an original and working C5 in my area I may take a closer look at doing something like that.

are you planning on selling the lcd setup as a. Kit

I wouldn't want to sell this as a kit, mainly due to it being more than just an LCD display in a box, there is a whole new box at the back with all sorts of wiring going on.  Basically my C5 doesn't have any of the electrics found in a normal C5.  I don't think I'd be comfortable selling it as a product, I'm quite happy to use it on mine knowing if something goes wrong it's okay but if it was on somebody else's C5... I dont think I'd have the time anyway to mass produce it, sorry :)

Thanks!

Dan

Offline Ton C5

• Battery level: 4
  • If it aint broken, dont fix it
« Reply #33 on: 30, December, 2012 - 19:51:30 »
Oke this is no longer a matter of "i want one"

i need to have one  :) this is great.
keep up the good work.

Ton

Offline baselpat

• Battery level: 6
    • My C5 Photos
« Reply #34 on: 30, December, 2012 - 20:03:53 »
Brilliant! Just Brilliant.  8)

Please post as much information you wish about the project - Some of us will never be bored with too much information  :)

I'd found and explored you website previously and was already envious of what you were doing with the arduino and the C5.   Makes my feeble arduino efforts so far look a little simplistic now. 

Pat

Offline dansretropod

• www.c5owners.com
« Reply #35 on: 30, December, 2012 - 21:19:49 »
Many thanks for the comments and encouragement, I'll continue to post as much as I can here first for those interested in this project and are familiar with an arduino.

This tutorial here (http://bildr.org/2012/03/rfp30n06le-arduino/) covers the use of a MOSFET transistor to control a light or a motor and is the circuit I use for controlling:

Front/Back Light
Left Indicator
Right Indicator
Cooling Fan
The main Motor

I basically use the same circuit * 5.  If you're able to build the circuit on an arduino uno for example, as a test, you've done most of the hard work!  It's important to note I've replaced the original bulbs in the lights and indicators on my C5 with low power LED bulbs to keep the power usage down.

This circuit:

http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Pushbutton

I'm using to read the left and right indicator button and also the handlebar switch input.  Again this is a very simple circuit to implement.

Measuring the temperature is simple too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fNto4JOu4E

The main problem's I've had is soldering all the above onto the circuit board at the rear of the C5 and all the wiring that then goes back to the front where the display is, and trying to keep it all as compact as possible.

The circuits above are really simple to do, and with a minimal amount of coding you can see them working.  It's the arduino that does all the hard work.

As mentioned earlier in the thread I will make the source code available soon (there's a few bugs still to iron out) and if anyone wants to build their own variant of this project, and maybe add features to it such as pedelec (and maybe sell it on themselves), I have absolutely no problem with that and will help where I can.

I'll follow up later on with pictures of the LCD section and the changes I've done to that with some pictures and also pictures of the rear circuit board and wiring.

Thanks!

Dan

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
« Reply #36 on: 30, December, 2012 - 21:56:44 »
Hi Dan,

a very nice piece of work in many ways. You can be very proud of yourself, it's OK go ahead I give permission.  8) 8)

Pity it wont be available as a complete unit, there will be many, including myself, who would love to have one of these units fitted to their C5, but it's beyond their means.  :( :-\ :( :-\  I can complete the construction, wiring, and installation, but I have never been involved with programming and at my age I don't have the time to start.

Once again, great work and all the best in the up and coming year.

Offline dansretropod

• www.c5owners.com
« Reply #37 on: 31, December, 2012 - 10:35:16 »
a very nice piece of work in many ways.

Thanks Karl for the comments.

I can complete the construction, wiring, and installation, but I have never been involved with programming and at my age I don't have the time to start.

I understand the programming may be a stretch too far for some.  If built using the same LCD component and all the gubbins at the back is attached to the Arduino using the same pins as I have used, there will be no programming changes, it's only if you wanted to do something differently to the way I've done it would changes to the program be necessary.  Though testing the circuits as you build them will require a bit of coding knowledge :(

Back to the subject of providing some sort of guidance on how this was created, rather than copy/paste and reformat a lot of text I will just link to the article on my site that gives some basic instructions for how I made it.

http://www.dansretropod.com/sinclair-c5/building-the-lcd-touchscreen.aspx

Any questions about it I'll answer here as the forum on my site isn't much use :(

Here's some pictures of the unit disassembled:

Thanks!

Dan

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #38 on: 31, December, 2012 - 11:10:39 »

Can you not do phils ula chip ?

I think that would be a bit too much for me at the moment.  If I ever find an original and working C5 in my area I may take a closer look at doing something like that.

are you planning on selling the lcd setup as a. Kit

I wouldn't want to sell this as a kit, mainly due to it being more than just an LCD display in a box, there is a whole new box at the back with all sorts of wiring going on.  Basically my C5 doesn't have any of the electrics found in a normal C5.  I don't think I'd be comfortable selling it as a product, I'm quite happy to use it on mine knowing if something goes wrong it's okay but if it was on somebody else's C5... I dont think I'd have the time anyway to mass produce it, sorry :)

Thanks!

Dan

Oh well I'll have to keep searching for a pod  :( :(

Offline KarlG

« Reply #39 on: 31, December, 2012 - 13:07:29 »
Hi Dan,

just one small point, how does the screen react to water, e.g. rain etc.

Offline dansretropod

• www.c5owners.com
« Reply #40 on: 31, December, 2012 - 13:52:27 »

I posed the question of how suitable the screen is for outdoor use, and in particular rain, directly to Sainsart (The screen manufacturers).  The response was the screen will work fine with a bit of rain on it but not the circuit board itself which isn't surprising so I'll be sealing the edges of the screen whist in the box to keep water out.  When I've done this I'll give it a proper test and throw some water over it and see if I can break it!

Thanks!

Dan

Offline KarlG

« Reply #41 on: 31, December, 2012 - 14:00:18 »
Hi Dan,

thanks for the reply.

When I've done this I'll give it a proper test and throw some water over it and see if I can break it!
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Isn't this like throwing money out of the window? I've got a much better idea, throw the unit at me and see if it survives.   ::) ;D ;D :P

Cheers.   KarlG.

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #42 on: 31, December, 2012 - 14:19:47 »

I posed the question of how suitable the screen is for outdoor use, and in particular rain, directly to Sainsart (The screen manufacturers).  The response was the screen will work fine with a bit of rain on it but not the circuit board itself which isn't surprising so I'll be sealing the edges of the screen whist in the box to keep water out.  When I've done this I'll give it a proper test and throw some water over it and see if I can break it!

Thanks!

Dan

A high presure washer  ;D ;D ;D

Offline dansretropod

• www.c5owners.com
« Reply #43 on: 31, December, 2012 - 14:46:44 »
Well maybe I won't throw a bucket of water over it or a high pressure washer either for that matter.  Instead I'll give it a more realistic test and take it out for a decent ride in the (ahem) rain.  Which isn't a particularly difficult test to perform in the UK at the moment ;)

Isn't this like throwing money out of the window?

Nope, I have confidence it will work just fine.  I'll either come back in a working C5 with a smile on my face or I'll be pedalling/dragging it back, we'll see ;D

Offline dansretropod

• www.c5owners.com
« Reply #44 on: 20, January, 2013 - 17:55:30 »
Hi Dave,

Sorry for the delay, I've been distracted with none-C5 related stuff recently and the whole thing hasn't really moved on from my last update.  I have however posted the source code as it stands here:

http://www.dansretropod.com/sinclair-c5/building-the-lcd-touchscreen.aspx#download

It works and may be of use to other Arduino/C5 enthusiasts out there, though I haven't had time to comment it but it should be fairly easy to follow.

Please note, the code is provided "AS IS," without express or implied warranty of any kind.;)