News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: The first c5alive meeting abroad - The Netherlands 8th/9th/10th July 2011  (Read 39364 times)

Karl

I've been toying with the idea of holding a c5alive run in The Netherlands for some time now and think 2011 should be the year we arrange it. There was support for this at the recent wiring kit weekend, and Frankev has volunteered to be our man on the ground with the local knowledge, so it is looking good so far.

Having never organised a c5alive trip abroad before, I'm sure the costs and logistics will take some sorting out. I plan to divert some funds received from items purchased from the c5alive shop side towards this to help reduce the costs , but obviously there will be expenses to be met by all those coming along. Closer to the date (still to be set ! ) we will need to discuss deposits etc.

I think the first item to sort out is ; who wants to come along ? After that we can ask Frank to suggest a suitable venue and then work out if we want to use camping or hotel facilities etc. Transporting the c5's also needs to be discussed.

Lots to sort out, but I'm looking forward to it  8) 

« Last Edit: 16, December, 2010 - 17:11:44 by BooBoo »

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
Re: The first c5alive meeting abroad - The Netherlands 2011
« Reply #1 on: 24, November, 2010 - 21:40:43 »
Perhaps you could ask Sinclair Research to sponsor you?

???

Stranger things have happened.

Offline MikeDX

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #2 on: 24, November, 2010 - 22:42:01 »
You can put me down for this Karl, It sounds like it will be quite an awesome experience!

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #3 on: 25, November, 2010 - 05:19:44 »
Yeah - go for a date if you can Karl so i can book it early !!!!!

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 27, November, 2010 - 09:39:26 »
Yeah - go for a date if you can Karl so i can book it early !!!!!

Looking at my shift rota for next year (always subject to change  ::)), the first suggested dates for this are ;

weekend - 8th/9th/10th July

Will this fit in okay for everyone else who wants to come along ? Hopefully a weekend is the best option for most of us.

Assuming the date is ok, next up will be the location. Hopefully somewhere nice and flat, with cycle lanes away from trafffic as much as possible and a circular route of about 12-15miles.  Good scenery and sites of interest are always good, plus if there's a trransport related event we could hook up with that would be a nice bonus as well  :)

Open to suggestions on this bit  ;D

Offline frankev

• One Sinclair on the road, doesn't mean it's summer
    • Sinclair meeting in Holland in july 2011
« Reply #5 on: 27, November, 2010 - 11:57:45 »
Hi Everybody,

I am trying with Karl to get you all to the Netherlands in July. The neighborhood where I live is called the Achterhoek and there are really fabulous smooth miles and miles of bicycle roads through the valley of the river the Ijssel, the Veluwe, a national park, most roads open for bicycles only, and the Achterhoek, a century's old agricultural area with lots of old city's and where it is easy to make a twelve castles route of about 12 miles.
Best of all, it is basically flat in holland so it could be a very relaxed weekend or day or whatever. I wil try to find sponsors, and I already have some Dutch C5 fanatics and I'm trying to find some Germans to ( one hour drive), to make it an international event. Even Denmark is only 8 hours driving from here. Open for suggestions.
Hope to get a lot of response.

Greetings

Frank

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 28, November, 2010 - 13:10:33 »
Frank - That all sounds really good so far  8) To help us decide what sort of accomodation to go for, can you hazard a guess as to how much camping or hotels would cost in that area ?

Offline frankev

« Reply #7 on: 28, November, 2010 - 13:26:00 »
Give me a few days, an old friend from school from my wife, has a mini camping.
I'll go and talk with him about friendly prices etc. Hotels the same, no old friends but always interested in getting groups and willing to change the price therefore, (maybe sponsoring an event like ours a little). I used to own a bar/disco in town here, so I know quit a lot of local people that might find sponsoring worth their while. 8) ;)
Any information/conformation about the dates, the amount off people etc. is welcome.

Offline frankev

« Reply #8 on: 16, December, 2010 - 09:30:34 »
The prices of the hotels are coming this week, I made them enthusiastic for the P.R value of a meeting like ours. The camping I was talking about is closed now, the owner is on a holiday  :D
But with this snow and harsh temperatures it is not the first place to stay I am looking into.
The Burton Car Company, the factory that converts citroen 2CV cars into retro looking sportscars with wingdoors etc. has also made an electric version of the car. They are planning to market this next year. The owner Iwan Göbel has invited us to visit the factory where we can get a tour as well as a lecture about the latest state of electric cars and the development of it.
http://www.burtoncar.com/   and   http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/7621946/__Elektrische_sportwagen_onthuld__.html.
Most likely we can get a intimate look inside this 250Kwh engine.

More to follow.
The eight castle route nearby has many electrical charging points http://www.routeyou.com/location/view/47420113/oplaadpunt-elektrische-fiets.nl
I am working on this route> http://www.routeyou.com/route/view/56611/fietsroute-jumbo-route-55-graafschap-kastelen-landgoedroute.nl this route is about 32 miles so I am shortening it to about 20 miles max.
And I have already made a great route of 25 km's (17 miles) that brings us to Bronkhorst.
The smallest town in holland, town rights since 1190 where we cross the river the IJssel by ferry and back to Zutphen through centuries old agricultural landscape.
I am also working on visits to restaurants where we can get special arrangements in combination with media attention. Also all these routes have 220 volts charging points for E-Bikes.

Karl

That sounds really good Frank, thanks for putting in so much work on this project. It all looks great and is shaping up to be an excellent run.

I'll keep in touch via email regarding some of the other logistical stuff we'll need to sort out, but for now I've set the date as the weekend of July 8/9/10 2011.

Once Christmas is over we can start confirming who wants to come and how much it will cost etc.

Offline plumber

• Battery level: 1
Re: The first c5alive meeting abroad - The Netherlands 8th/9th/10th July 2011
« Reply #10 on: 17, December, 2010 - 19:08:07 »
hi there,this sounds realy cool,and be lovely to come......but how much will it cost?....i think i will start a c5 aboard jar.......lol......and see if i can persade mel to come... ;)

the plumber
 ;D

Karl

Re: The first c5alive meeting abroad - The Netherlands 8th/9th/10th July 2011
« Reply #11 on: 19, December, 2010 - 10:29:11 »
hi there,this sounds realy cool,and be lovely to come......but how much will it cost?....i think i will start a c5 aboard jar.......lol......and see if i can persade mel to come... ;)

the plumber
 ;D

Cost will be a deciding factor for lots of us I know, but it's a bit like the chicken and the egg - the more people who want to come along then hopefully the cheaper it will be. If we choose camping it would probably be cheaper than a hotel, but if the weather turns unpleasant then a hotel would be more comfortable. Then again,some might be put off by the thought of camping ? Plus there is transportation to consider, maybe it would be best if we all just met up at the venue in The Netherlands. This gives an idea of some of the things we need to sort out.

In the meantime, Frank is doing a superb job of organising and suggesting venues for this run. After the Christmas break we will need to make some firm decisions as to what we want to do in order to give Frank sufficient time to get the ball rolling.

This has the potential to be the most exciting event we've ever staged, and definitely one to get involved in  8).

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
Hi Frank do you know were this event will be held and how far from Amstelveen.

thanks

Lance

Offline frankev

Hi Lancelot,

According to my routeplanner we are talking about 113 Km's. About 1hr 24 min by car, 6 hours by C5.  ;). The plan is to come to Zutphen, where the entire neighborhood is bicycle friendly. All of the bicycle roads are paved smoothly, and the people are friendly!  ::)
We have forests (Veluwe), the beautiful river valley of the IJssel and the "Achterhoek" with many old mansions and Castles. And everything is flat. The region is willing to cooperate to promote itself so prices will be depending on the number of participants, I have four C5's out of Holland this far, and still waiting for more, also C5 drivers out of any other country are more then welcome.
Karl (BooBoo) is coordinating the british participating drivers,but as it looks till now, we can count on maybe 15 C5's.
But plans still have to get shaped and we hope there will be more attending the first ever International Sinclair C5 meeting. Complimentary T-shirt and sticker of-course. You can't drive around in your C5 after this event without them  ;D. We also have an invitation to come to visit the Burton Car Company. They are introducing a 250 Kwatts electric Burton Car this year and like to give us a tour in their facility. That could make a nice photo-shoot. 250 watts versus 250 Kwatts. But the real advertising of the event starts shortly, so this far, no complaints.

Greetz, and hope to see you in Juli,

Frank

Karl

Frank is certainly putting in the hours on this, which is much appreciated.

I'm hoping the amount of people interested in attending this will grow, but for now I'd like to start a list of who wants to come along just to give us an idea of numbers. This can be updated and amended as necessary;

Frank (plus 4 )
Karl
Angie
Jordan (plus 1 ?)
Steve
ElectricDave

Anyone else ?

« Last Edit: 11, January, 2011 - 10:18:11 by BooBoo »