News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Good or Bad for the beginner ????  (Read 3972 times)

Offline Ant

• Battery level: 2
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
Good or Bad for the beginner ????
« on: 23, April, 2012 - 10:46:13 »
Hi guys,

As i mentioned when i joined the group im still looking for my first C5 so ive been trawling as many avenues as possible, im currently watching one on ebay that's complete minus the tires and a wiring loom but it's in BITS.

What are your thoughts on this considering im a complete beginner in the restoration game...and ive never even wired a plug ??????

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Ant

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
Re: Good or Bad for the beginner ????
« Reply #1 on: 23, April, 2012 - 10:55:39 »
Hi Ant,

Sometimes it is false economy to get one that requires full refurb if you have not done it before. Trying to locate all the missing items, etc. take some time and cost.

I would look at one that is fully refurb or that requires only minor refurb if you are non technical. You could always get one that is operational firstly and then get a do'er upper for your next one. Then if you don't want 2 get rid of the first one...............................

This is what i did but now have 3. My first one is now being refurbed and modified to become 24v conversion, but have 2 working ones that I have now refurbed fully.

Depends on your location but BooBoo (Karl) has refurb one regularly based in Crawley and Chas (Nottingham).

Thanks Lance

Offline fezza_rs

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #2 on: 23, April, 2012 - 10:57:37 »
This one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/sinclair-c5-restoration-/221002009894?pt=UK_Collectables_Bicycle_RL&hash=item3374bf0d26#ht_500wt_949

if it is do it! you will get to know your machine inside out and will learn as you go, if anything goes wrong with it the community on here will be more than happy to help you!

Good luck!

Offline Ant

• Battery level: 2
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #3 on: 23, April, 2012 - 15:51:41 »
Yeah that's the one,

i can see both reply's as positive so im still a bit confused ?????? on the one hand it would i can imagine that it would be really satisfying to build one up myself from bits plus i would gain a good working knowledge of the C5.

On the other hand ive never really been a technical person and i wouldn't have a clue when it comes to wiring but it's really good to know i have so many experts willing to offer advice on this forum.

Thanks for the reply's.

Ant     

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 23, April, 2012 - 16:45:22 »
I am all for everyone having a go and building one up from a box of bits but as Lance mentions, it can be a wrong move financially.   You also have to consider parts availability and not just the expense - headlights in particular are getting very hard to obtain , then there is the expense of a pod and control box .

My advice would be if a c5 is only missing parts that are generic bicycle bits then fine, but if it's missing all the hard to obtain and expensive parts that are unique to the c5 then walk away.
« Last Edit: 23, April, 2012 - 16:46:54 by BooBoo »

Offline fezza_rs

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #5 on: 23, April, 2012 - 18:07:41 »
My advice would be if a c5 is only missing parts that are generic bicycle bits then fine, but if it's missing all the hard to obtain and expensive parts that are unique to the c5 then walk away.

The c5 has the motor and drive assembly the rest is easy sortable with a wiring kit and some time.

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 24, April, 2012 - 19:27:31 »
That particular c5 is restorable but I wouldn't say easily sortable for a novice.

If anyone is considering buying it would be worth while trying to establish exactly what parts are actually included / missing . c5 Lights are still hard to find ...