News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: Day to day use  (Read 10079 times)

RichardV

Re: Day to day use
« Reply #15 on: 10, April, 2013 - 16:50:47 »
I haven't quite started my peak hour traffic negotiations, but I did use it for a run into town for a meeting today.  It took quite a bit of peddling to keep it in the green and decent speed up, but handled OK.  The boot came in handy on the way back when the client gave us a few things to carry, and my colleague on the bike couldn't take them.

Centre of town was interesting.  A few drivers whipped camera phones out instead of moving on, which makes it a bit difficult to find a gap, but in general nobody seemed to be offended.

Once I get a few niggles sorted I should start using it daily.  :D  I also have a flag and horn going on this weekend.
« Last Edit: 10, April, 2013 - 16:53:57 by RichardV »

Offline mhurt

• Battery level: 3
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #16 on: 17, April, 2013 - 17:58:37 »
Would love to use mine daily, but the hills are impossible for me :o
I really need to work out the best way to start off on the steep hills (even with all my strength, I can't get it moving on most), and also to get up them as the motor isn't powerful enough, and neither am I!

Getting to places is fine. Getting home usually involves me pulling/pushing the C5 uphill 50% of the time :P

RichardV

« Reply #17 on: 20, April, 2013 - 17:45:16 »
I've got a horn, safety flag and wiring harness upgrade, so I'll start using it a few days a week to get to work.

This is from today driving around Rutland in the sun.  :)

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #18 on: 20, April, 2013 - 18:42:57 »
Looking good - could enter that into POM  ;) - hows she running now ? - Marty

RichardV

« Reply #19 on: 20, April, 2013 - 20:19:10 »
She runs really well now.  Chain didn't skip once, even on some reasonable hill starts.  I feel much better with the safety flag there, and it unplugs in seconds for easy stowing.

Such a nice day to be out.  Windsurfing when it's windy and c5 when it's not.
« Last Edit: 20, April, 2013 - 20:27:38 by RichardV »

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #20 on: 21, April, 2013 - 07:27:11 »
Looked a nice day out  (for a change) :) I take it you do a lot of windsurfing then  ;D

Retro Andy.

Offline thedesigntailor

• Battery level: 5
  • designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #21 on: 21, April, 2013 - 12:42:24 »
Second photo is even more POM material. Out in the sun, what the C5 was made for!

RichardV

« Reply #22 on: 26, April, 2013 - 14:46:04 »
Nice and sunny outside, so I C5'd in to work today.  Lots of smiles and even a nice police lady on a bicycle gave me a wave.  It takes the place of honour in reception.  Each time I go out to get a drink I can hear visitors discussing it, so very much a talking point.   ;D

Need to get some proper hub covers though, the Tupperware ones are letting it down.
« Last Edit: 26, April, 2013 - 15:59:54 by RichardV »

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #23 on: 26, April, 2013 - 19:32:08 »
Looking good -hopefully shes running like a dream  :)

RichardV

« Reply #24 on: 29, April, 2013 - 10:23:08 »
Yep, 'Boomerang' is working well.  I wanted to bring her in again today, but I can't fit the windsurfer in the boot.  :)

RichardV

« Reply #25 on: 05, May, 2013 - 13:21:54 »
Marty,
I've used her a couple of times this week to get to work, and she's still running really well.  Here are some notes about using Boomer regularly, in case others have suggestions.

The mirrors aren't as bad as I first made out, and if you turn right or left a little, you can see directly behind you.

Pumping the tyres up is a pain with the wheel covers on, and if I ever had a puncture I don't think I'd be able to fix it on the side of the road like it is.  I'm tempted to remove them and go black for simplicity, but I think people like seeing it in original form.

Charging is a pain when doing it daily.  It feels messy, undoing/doing the strap, moving the battery around while keeping cables tucked and the strap out the way.  Has anyone gone for some sort of easy attach charging connector, something like this, perhaps hidden in the boot?

The gearing is just right to keep her in the green while peddling at a reasonable speed up a hill.  If one changed the gearing, would that put more stress on the motor, as you're going slower, but still getting motor assisted?

Proportional speed control would be quite useful, no idea how easy it would be to do though, maybe something like a thumb trigger on a quad bike.

How useful are indicators?  I quite like hand signals, and I'd worry that no-one would see the indicators, especially being lower.  They do look nice though.

I charge every 4 miles or so between work trips as the higher voltage helps with the hills and the top speed is better.  I'll have to do a proper range check at some point.

Cheers
Richard
« Last Edit: 05, May, 2013 - 13:41:27 by RichardV »

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #26 on: 05, May, 2013 - 20:48:47 »

Pumping up the tyres is fiddly but certainly do able. I've had one puncture in the miles I've done and was able to change the inner tube ( I always carry a spare set in the boot) at the side of the road.

I've always charged the battery in situ and that is certainly easier unless your garage doesn't have electric hook up. I have thought about some sort of easy attach charging connector before but the idea never went further than that.

I'm quite light and therefore only tend to pedal when setting off. I've certainly never had a problem using just the motor to get up hills, this may increase wear on it but I'm rather lazy.

Speed control is possible using an electric twist throttle but would not be plug & play. The original Sinclair system runs on an on/off relay so it requires modification to accommodate the twist throttle. I have thought about doing this and bought an electric twist throttle but never got round to actually fitting it.

I've found that I get around 12-13 miles on a charge out of a Yuasa 038 35Ah battery.

I can't comment on how good the mirrors/indicators are as I don't have them fitted to my C5, but I also was concerned about the indicators being too low to be seen.

RichardV

« Reply #27 on: 06, May, 2013 - 11:47:40 »
Cheers for the reply.
Marty did say my battery was a bit stuffed, and I only got about 6 miles out of it this morning before a marked drop in speed and power.    I'm charging it in place at the office now, and it's easier than lugging it around the house, so I'll do the charging here instead.

I'm getting used to driving Boomer regularly and think it's a very well designed and rounded product.  I think the mirrors are a must have though, I'm always looking to see what's coming up behind now.

I went through town when it was quite busy yesterday and got a good reaction from a bunch of hairy bikers in leather, although when I put my arm out to indicate, I actually heard someone laugh.   ;D
« Last Edit: 06, May, 2013 - 12:20:45 by RichardV »

Offline Michael

• Battery level: 4
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #28 on: 10, May, 2013 - 22:42:14 »
I've got a horn, safety flag and wiring harness upgrade, so I'll start using it a few days a week to get to work.

Where did you get your safety flag and where is it mounted?

Regards Michael

RichardV

« Reply #29 on: 11, May, 2013 - 09:25:18 »
I can't remember what length it is, but it's just a regular safety flag for bikes.  I got mine from a client, but they are on ebay for around 6 pounds.

The bottom holes line up with the mud flap bolts, but you'll need to drill an extra hole in the bodywork for the top hole.  The rod pulls out the mount easily when transporting the C5.

It'll probably be frowned upon by purists, but I feel much safer with a practically luminous flappy flag that adds an extra foot or two over my head.  I tried using the mast but it's shorter, can't be seen from the side and doesn't get a driver's attention like a flappy thing.
« Last Edit: 11, May, 2013 - 09:29:15 by RichardV »