News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: Hi all, new member  (Read 4156 times)

Offline Pep

• Battery level: 3
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
Hi all, new member
« on: 02, September, 2012 - 21:08:45 »
Hi guys, new C5 owner introducing myself  :)
The C5 I have reqs attention a familiar story I guess you've all heard before, I have it stripped down ready to clean repair and re-assemble. I was about to send the frame off tomorrow for a new paint job, but after reading on your site I see that there is a big annual meet at Brooklands, now I am thinking about putting it back together and coming along. The motor runs but I am not sure if the control board or pod work, there are no obvious signs of damage to the board and F1 and F2 were missing from the board, so fingers crossed, long shot, it maybe ok, does anyone have any advise on testing this on the bench, against the clock here !!

Offline Gyrr

Re: Hi all, new member
« Reply #1 on: 02, September, 2012 - 21:22:05 »
Hi.
If I could help I would but I'm hopeless. Someone who knows what they are writing about will be along in a minute.

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 03, September, 2012 - 21:34:38 »
Pep - if you want to join in then put your name down asap for the Brooklands meet as i have to submit the numbers tomorrow !

Even if your c5 isnt working just bring it along and we can all take a look at it...you never know it might end up working  ;)

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #3 on: 03, September, 2012 - 21:35:23 »
Hi Bud - If you have it all stripped down - firstly connect the motor directly to the motor be careful it has a bit of a kick - take the circuit board out of the control box casing then you can connect up the battery - motor - pod and 'go' switch and see what happens - some basic checks are to make sure you have 12v going to both sides of r1 in the control box and 5v coming out of the voltage regulator - if the pod lights up then see what the LEDS do when you press the go button - if all else fails build it all back up and i will bring some spares to Brooklands to see what we can do to get you running.

Offline Pep

« Reply #4 on: 04, September, 2012 - 20:41:08 »
Hi guys, thanks for the replys

Booboo, I would like to put my name down for the Brooklands event if it's not to late, contact no. 07889843312

Radiomarty, Thanks for the tip, I have power accross R1 and have had a number of led sequences but no motor run through the board, the righthand leds - 5 on 2xred 1xyellow 2xgreen, lefthand led 1xred when I pressed for power, then 2 red 1 yellow 2 green flashing on and off approx 1s, then I have had all leds flashing together

I see from the site that you repair or exchange the boards, I will follow your adivse on this

Finally for now, spare parts if anyone can help,

1 x Headlight or front lens
1 x Chain tensioner pivot clip the part that attaches to the frame,

Thanks

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #5 on: 04, September, 2012 - 20:54:49 »
Hi Bud - do you have the motor sensors connected in the control box - there should be two plugs coming from the motor.

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 05, September, 2012 - 07:22:54 »
Booboo, I would like to put my name down for the Brooklands event if it's not to late, contact no. 07889843312

Thanks

Done  ;)

Offline Pep

« Reply #7 on: 12, September, 2012 - 22:00:49 »
Hi guys
Sorry that I have not replied earlier but that ugly four letter word "work" and staying away !!
I have started to re-assemble the frame and have manufactured a chain tenioner which should be ok. I bought two new chains but the links are the wrong size, I should have taken the old one with me, so back to the shop with the old one later this week when I get home, all part of the learning curve.
The latest major problem is that I have no cone nut for the outer braked rear wheel, the inner cone is present but pitted, I have tried a few bike shops but none stock this size, are they special sizes ? does anyone know where I can buy them from ? or does anyone going to Brooklands this weekend have a set that they are willing to sell me, failling that would someone be willing to lend me them for the day, are these rare parts on the shelf with hens teeth ?, thankfully I have new bearings.
Finally radiomarty could I buy repaired circuit board from you at Brooklands on Sun mine has issues I will bring the one I have along. Failing that I have read that some have been converted to run via a relay, would this be ok for the day ?
Thanks
Pep

Karl

« Reply #8 on: 15, September, 2012 - 12:31:06 »
Hi guys
Sorry that I have not replied earlier but that ugly four letter word "work" and staying away !!
I have started to re-assemble the frame and have manufactured a chain tenioner which should be ok. I bought two new chains but the links are the wrong size, I should have taken the old one with me, so back to the shop with the old one later this week when I get home, all part of the learning curve.
The latest major problem is that I have no cone nut for the outer braked rear wheel, the inner cone is present but pitted, I have tried a few bike shops but none stock this size, are they special sizes ? does anyone know where I can buy them from ? or does anyone going to Brooklands this weekend have a set that they are willing to sell me, failling that would someone be willing to lend me them for the day, are these rare parts on the shelf with hens teeth ?, thankfully I have new bearings.
Finally radiomarty could I buy repaired circuit board from you at Brooklands on Sun mine has issues I will bring the one I have along. Failing that I have read that some have been converted to run via a relay, would this be ok for the day ?
Thanks
Pep

I'll have my toolbox with me at Brooklands , there's usually a couple of spares in there  ;) If not we can rob what you need of the display c5 called "half-pint"  8)

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #9 on: 18, September, 2012 - 10:49:41 »
Pep - sorry bud I missed the post on u wanting a control box - however looking at yours on the day i think theres not too much up with it - let me know how u get on with it - if no joy drop me a line bud and i will try and talk u through it - Marty

Offline Pep

« Reply #10 on: 20, September, 2012 - 20:30:08 »

First, a big thanks to everyone for the warm friendly welcome at Brookland, we had a great day especially on the track, cheers for getting us going and the very helpful advice,

Unfortunately I think we/(Ethan) has burnt the motor out as it will not run now and is difficult to even push backwards, further investigation this weekend, I will also check the circuit board and let you know how I get on,

Thanks everyone !
 :)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #11 on: 23, September, 2012 - 09:42:53 »
Hello and welcome to the forum  :)

Retro Andy.

Offline Pep

« Reply #12 on: 26, September, 2012 - 00:05:47 »
Thanks Andy