News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: WTB: C5, doesnt need to run.  (Read 2699 times)

weetsie

WTB: C5, doesnt need to run.
« on: 16, September, 2010 - 01:53:10 »
hi first post  :)

im after a C5 for heavy modding, while i wouldnt mind them it doesnt have to have a battery, motor or tires/wheels.

i dont have that much to spend so up to £300 really, let me know if anyone has anything. thanks.

Karl

Re: WTB: C5, doesnt need to run.
« Reply #1 on: 16, September, 2010 - 13:01:51 »
I have a spare bodyshell ,some handlebars and a few other bits and pieces.

What else would you need ? I might have some more odd's and ends lurking in the shed...

weetsie

« Reply #2 on: 16, September, 2010 - 13:31:58 »
well i am not entirely sure as i have never seen one before, what i definitely need is a chassis and a bodyshell with lights hopefully and all the linkage and stuff you need to turn.

end goal is to put a 5-8KW motor in it which will proberbly require new wheels, breaks and likely suspention.

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #3 on: 16, September, 2010 - 16:04:52 »
I doubt that the original hollow axle will take the torque that accompanies such a motor, let alone the nylon axle mount at one end, and the Y chassis will probably need some bracing.

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 16, September, 2010 - 16:09:40 »
Serious modification is definately the way to go for increased fun - even if it does restrict where you get to use it.

I could supply you with a bodyshell (minus the lights) and a standard chassis with its steering components, but it would probably be more cost effective for you to buy a complete c5 and sell off what you dont need. More importantly though, I would be very careful about putting such a powerful motor in a standard c5 setup.

Take a look at the two project c5's built by c5alive & Dragon Technology named "Challenger" and the "C-5000";

This is "Challenger";
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=559.0
..which started life as this;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=266.0

..and this is the c-5000;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1034.0

Challenger is running a 1kw motor, and the c-5000 about 9kw. Note that neither has the standard chassis,mainly  because the original Sinclair item simply isn't strong enough. The steering linkage is too feeble , and the brakes only just cope with the standard 250w motor. As coverman says, you may well get a few more snags with the other c5 "transmission" components when placing that much power through them.

I would urge you to consider building a much stronger rolling chassis and place the c5 bodyshell and other Sinclair components on top.   
« Last Edit: 16, September, 2010 - 16:12:00 by BooBoo »

weetsie

« Reply #5 on: 16, September, 2010 - 22:44:33 »
woah thats impressive, sadly i dont have anything like the know how or resources to build my own chassis, i could just about put some wheels and disk breaks on the stock chassis but anything more is difficult as i cant weld.  :-\

shame, its a project i have wanted to do for a long time, but without ever seeing a C5 in person its really hard to know how difficult it would be.

do you think 300 is enough to get a working C5?

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #6 on: 17, September, 2010 - 07:41:17 »
Hi I may be able to supply one for around that  :) drop me an e-mail.

Regards Radiomarty

weetsie

« Reply #7 on: 19, September, 2010 - 23:51:02 »
that would be great except im in west yorkshire and i dont have a car  :'(

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #8 on: 20, September, 2010 - 08:58:02 »
Hi, my C5 is in Leeds, NOT for sales, but you are welcome to inspect it some time.