News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: Halfords HLB678 Leisure Battery  (Read 17613 times)

Karl

Halfords HLB678 Leisure Battery
« on: 07, February, 2009 - 17:18:51 »
This cost about £89 , and came with a 2-year guarantee. I think Halfords have since amended this to a 3-year guarantee, but you may need to check that first !
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_264259_langId_-1_categoryId_165475

It weighs a little more than a car battery, but gives a range similar to two car batteries. Best range we've achieved so far is about 18miles - in the summer last year. In the winter the range dropped to about 11miles.

Quite happy with its performance so far. 
« Last Edit: 26, March, 2009 - 11:23:02 by Karl (C5Alive) »

Offline alan1310

• Battery level: 5
  • i wish i was that man
Re: Halfords Leisure battery
« Reply #1 on: 12, March, 2009 - 17:50:13 »
i have done around 21 with mine its super reliable

ironside82

« Reply #2 on: 12, March, 2009 - 19:09:31 »
I've just checked the weight of that battery on the halfords site.. With two of those installed thats some serious additional weight for those running the 24v version...

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #3 on: 12, March, 2009 - 19:40:08 »
I'm going to do a write up soon, but I'm using an halfords 570A calcium car battery. I like it because it's small light, and the c5 battery strap will fit around it and stop it sliding forwards when you stop.

It's had 5 charge / discharges and keeps on getting better. I don't know how long it will last, but I have a 4 year garantee with it.

I think it's the same out put as 57AH.

I'll know more after the shorham run. 

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 26, March, 2009 - 11:06:02 »
I've just checked the weight of that battery on the halfords site.. With two of those installed thats some serious additional weight for those running the 24v version...

...which is why I dont use leisure batteries on my 24v c5, I chose the type 063 car batteries - which perform very well.

I believe the best use of a leisure battery is on a 12v c5, with a view that you would only need to use the one to get a decent range - as opposed to two car batteries.

Offline minidaz

• Battery level: 6
Re: Halfords HLB678 Leisure Battery
« Reply #5 on: 26, April, 2009 - 17:08:10 »
Just got a HLB678 for mine, as , annoyingly, all the spare batteries i've got floating around are well and truly dead  :D

And they are still 2 year guarantee.

Daz
« Last Edit: 26, April, 2009 - 18:06:31 by minidaz »

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 26, May, 2009 - 21:08:59 »
I'm beginning to change my opinion of this battery, 18months down the line and the range seems to have dropped quite considerably.

The recent Horsham run is a good example, "moneypit" was first fitted with this battery (when new) at last years Horsham run and managed to complete the whole 15miles with only the green segments lost on the pod.

This year it ran out completely just before the end.... :-\

Offline minimin

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #7 on: 26, May, 2009 - 21:41:51 »
I have changed my opinion on Halfords completely. I have been there four times, once have been locked in the shop, second have been given the wrong products, the third time they had only one chain in stock (I needed two), the fourth they didn't know what I was talking about! Not impressed.
Mark

Offline fezza_rs

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #8 on: 27, May, 2009 - 09:02:03 »
I have changed my opinion on Halfords completely. I have been there four times, once have been locked in the shop, second have been given the wrong products, the third time they had only one chain in stock (I needed two), the fourth they didn't know what I was talking about! Not impressed.
Mark

Pay peanuts get monkeys!

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #9 on: 27, May, 2009 - 16:45:17 »
I don't know what the pay is like, but I know there stuff is not cheap.

Offline minimin

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #10 on: 27, May, 2009 - 23:04:47 »
Well another case in point. A set of bolts, same type same size etc
Halfords - £7.99
ASDA    - £2.60

Karl

« Reply #11 on: 18, June, 2011 - 14:36:54 »
This small leisure battery was excellent when new, giving an excellent range of at least 18miles without tripping the low battery warning on the c5. A few years later though and the range has dropped considerably - it now fully expires at around 10-12 miles.

My own experience has found this lfe expectancy to be similar to the car batteries I have used, meaning both tend to deteriorate after 2 years of hard use in a c5.

Some more fuel for the debate about which is best ; leisure or car batteries  ;)

Also, given that this Halfords leisure battery was so expensive, which offers best value ?