News:

C5alive meets Chris Barrie
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

Author Topic: Another Proud Owner!  (Read 6859 times)

zigclair

Another Proud Owner!
« on: 24, August, 2010 - 10:34:46 »
Hi All,

I'm Paul, after years of wanting one I finally got one... it was on ebay but only a mile down the road from me (leek, staffordshire) gave it a wash, pumped up the tyres, replaced a fuse and diode and i was away! already done a 10mile round trip without a fault, loving it!

The only thing she's short of is the wheel covers, I realise these are like hens teeth, but I own an advanced composites company (carbonmods.co.uk) and would be happy to remould the covers, colour matched in grp, I'm sure if these were available it might help a few people restore the original look, so if anyone has 1 cover and 1 centre cap, that they are prepared to sell/lend/hire to me that's in decent nick I would really appreciate it if you could let me know.

Look Forward to chatting to you all!

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
Re: Another Proud Owner!
« Reply #1 on: 24, August, 2010 - 15:01:27 »
Hi there Paul I do have what you are looking for but I will need them back when you have finished with them just send me an email with your name and address and phone number and i Will get back to you bye Chas

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #2 on: 24, August, 2010 - 18:14:34 »
Hi Paul and welcome to the forum - good luck with the wheel covers

zigclair

« Reply #3 on: 24, August, 2010 - 18:31:53 »
Thanks guys,

Thanks already goes out to chas, hopefully I can help a few people out with replacements, obviously once I have the tools made i will get a better idea of the cost to reproduce them but I'm sure that they will be very reasonable... for those looking for bling i might have to make a set in prepreg carbon fibre!

Cheers, Paul

« Last Edit: 25, August, 2010 - 07:07:31 by radiomarty »

Offline MikeDX

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #4 on: 24, August, 2010 - 19:07:27 »
I looked into having the centre-caps reproduced recently by an injection moulding company but the cost was a little prohibitive.

I would definitely be interested in a re-fabricated set of trims / caps. (and if you did the front cover, one of those too!)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #5 on: 25, August, 2010 - 06:27:27 »
Welcome to the forum, and glad you are enjoying your C5 so much.

Retro Andy.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #6 on: 25, August, 2010 - 07:07:54 »
Thanks guys,

Thanks already goes out to chas, hopefully I can help a few people out with replacements, obviously once I have the tools made i will get a better idea of the cost to reproduce them but I'm sure that they will be very reasonable... for those looking for bling i might have to make a set in prepreg carbon fibre!

Cheers, Paul

I'm sure Matt would be up for a bling set for goldfinger  :)

Offline MattC5

• Battery level: 231
  • i love c5!!! and the gadget show/gadgets
    • http://c5mandmrepairs.tk/
« Reply #7 on: 25, August, 2010 - 07:10:46 »
Your not wrong a nice gold set would be good  :D

zigclair

« Reply #8 on: 25, August, 2010 - 09:10:46 »
Injection moulding sure is an expensive thing to tool for, I'm considering making the centre cap using a vacuum casting process, this would accurately recreate the original part on all faces, it's a process used to prototype injection moulded parts, I think that the main wheel cover is possibly too big to make using this process, so it will be GRP, so the outside will look right but the inside will give them away as copies, but better than nothing! I suppose it'll give the anoraks out there great satisfaction if they spot it! I'll start a new thread when I start the project with photos of how it's all done, bore you guys mad I'm sure!

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #9 on: 25, August, 2010 - 11:20:58 »
Hi there PAUL WHEEL TRIMS ON THERE WAY ..CHAS

zigclair

« Reply #10 on: 25, August, 2010 - 12:45:50 »
Chas,

You're a legend, thanks. Paul

Karl

« Reply #11 on: 25, August, 2010 - 14:33:09 »
Injection moulding sure is an expensive thing to tool for, I'm considering making the centre cap using a vacuum casting process, this would accurately recreate the original part on all faces, it's a process used to prototype injection moulded parts, I think that the main wheel cover is possibly too big to make using this process, so it will be GRP, so the outside will look right but the inside will give them away as copies, but better than nothing! I suppose it'll give the anoraks out there great satisfaction if they spot it! I'll start a new thread when I start the project with photos of how it's all done, bore you guys mad I'm sure!

If you do manage to make a few spares, you are most welcome to sell them via the forum. Let me know once you've some more details and see what we can sort out  :)

zigclair

« Reply #12 on: 25, August, 2010 - 16:30:54 »
Once the moulds have been made it would be a shame not to help others out, so I'm sure I'll be able to make them available through the forum at a good price, exactly what the price is i don't know until i know just how much of a nightmare they are to make!

Karl

« Reply #13 on: 26, August, 2010 - 08:16:36 »
Knowing the c5, it won't be easy  ;D

zigclair

« Reply #14 on: 26, August, 2010 - 16:24:12 »
wheel covers now arrived, thanks chas for sorting me out so quickly, I'll set to work straight away, first off I think I will make the wheel cover and cap in a one piece grp moulding, and then a separate grp centre cap, to help people out if that all that missing, if that all goes to plan I will look to making exact replicas of the 2 components using a vacuum casting process, I'll keep you posted on the progress! I could be persuaded into making the front wheel cover too!