News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: My first drive....  (Read 2956 times)

giles

My first drive....
« on: 21, October, 2009 - 19:38:50 »
Hi Folks,
I have completed my maiden voyage on my newly aquired C5's.

I bought a simple one (no sincair electronics/pod etc.), but it goes really well and was a hoot to drive.  The other one has a graunchy crank when pedaling, and the original sinclair battery was toast so I will reserve judgement until I get a new battery.

First impressions: felt quite spritly, very direct steering, reasonable ride although it doesn't handle pot holes very well!
Hills need work, but you get the reward on the way down :-)
My biggest supprise is the load that is required for the power micro switch, my thumb is still aching now!  Either I was pressing in the wrong place or the resistance in the rubber gaiter takes all my thumb load!  Either way my thumb is dead!

All in all it looks promising I just hope the noisy crank on the more original one doesn't detract from the experience.
cheers, giles

Karl

Re: My first drive....
« Reply #1 on: 21, October, 2009 - 19:43:29 »

...My biggest supprise is the load that is required for the power micro switch, my thumb is still aching now!  Either I was pressing in the wrong place or the resistance in the rubber gaiter takes all my thumb load!  Either way my thumb is dead!

Try repositioning the rubber handlebar grip - might make life easier.Same thing happened on this thread;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=369.0

As you rightly identified, it is a microswitch and they normally require minimal effort so something needs a bit of attention. :-)

Glad you're enjoying the c5 experience  8)
« Last Edit: 21, October, 2009 - 19:45:29 by BooBoo »

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #2 on: 22, October, 2009 - 05:57:51 »
I think a dead thumb is something you get when you first get into a C5 (along with a few others little qwerks) but it is something you get used to, once your thumb musscles do.

Retro Andy 

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #3 on: 28, October, 2009 - 21:06:47 »
I think a dead thumb is something you get when you first get into a C5 (along with a few others little qwerks) but it is something you get used to, once your thumb musscles do.

Retro Andy 
i totally agree with the above as the same for me during my 1st recent ride at Brighton, i to found i was using way to much force than needed to hold it in.

your thumb muscles will 'learn' and you will adjust - but i bet you butt muscles won't  ;D

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
« Reply #4 on: 29, October, 2009 - 13:23:36 »
I too have experienced the same issue with my left thumb, and it aches terribly during my journey.  I've found that re-positioning my hand and applying less pressure on the button often helps.

I used to seem to start off by peddaling, then pressing the button hard, thinking that I should be pressing it firmly, yet when I press it gently, it's (obviously) no different.  So, I now try to make an effort not to press it too hard and this often saves 'thumb strain'.

My button sits quite close to the rubber covering, and ergonomically, it appears to be in the most suitable location.

Just looking forward to an evening's outing tonight on it.  Went out in the rain the other night, and it wasn't very pleasant, so will try this evening if I can.