News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: £100 eBay Sinclair c5 project update  (Read 14700 times)

Benniz

£100 eBay Sinclair c5 project update
« on: 28, July, 2009 - 04:00:16 »
Hello all

Some updates on my progress to my c5

I have successfully installed my custom made direct 36v 250w brushless motor which is fixed in the middle of the 12" front wheel, the front forks needed to be slightly stretched around 8mm, but was easily achieved carefully with a car jack no split or damage to the weld!. This therefore now makes it front wheel direct drive and is a blast!! with the down weight of both the front motor and the driver for the back it works really well, 36v has vastly improved the hill climbing also, It now has a throttle accelerator too.

I have also body filled the major scratches,cracks and have sanded and keyed ready for the respray, Its going to be a custom candy blue (just waiting for a bit of nice weather to do this lol)

I have also recently bought a second one , (your all right how addictive it becomes :D )
It had all original components excluding the motor, so have removed the back and front light for this one and will be running the lights on a separate small 12v battery linked to a solar trickle charger, will also have lots of cool gadgets/lights,chargers/speakers running from this also :D, the c5 itself will be powered by a 50 amp hour lifepo4 so im guessing around 60 mile radius in between charging

Also figuring out how to go about making the full enclosed faring and am working on the mould, any help. or tips for this would be greatly welcome

So that's about where I am so far hope you enjoy the pictures the 2 people in the pics arnt me just mates who are helping me along the way

« Last Edit: 03, August, 2009 - 17:56:39 by Benniz »

Nitrowing

Re: £100 eBay Sinclair c5 project update
« Reply #1 on: 28, July, 2009 - 07:02:34 »
That is excellent!

What details do you have on the wheel? Price, availability, battery size etc? I'd fit one as well as an extra!

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 28, July, 2009 - 07:56:31 »
A superb modification mate - can't wait to see the finished product, it's already outstanding  8)

Same as Nitro said, any details on where you got the hub mounted motor etc might be useful. You could start a bit of a trend  ;D

Any chance you'll be able to bring it to Brooklands in September ? 

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #3 on: 28, July, 2009 - 08:14:54 »
That is great, i'd love to have a go a such a thing to compare the original, but then i think i would want a second C5 to modify even more, and that would really pee the wife off.

Retro Andy 

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #4 on: 28, July, 2009 - 19:56:59 »
Looking good chaps - very impressed !!

Offline scott

• Battery level: 8
« Reply #5 on: 28, July, 2009 - 22:41:07 »
ITS LOOKING GREAT RADIOMARTY  I SEE U HAVE GONE 24V ARE U RUNNING THAT WITH THE ORIGINAL MOTOR AND GEARBOX OR ARE U GOING CHAIN DRIVE ? IVE STILL GOT BLUEBIRD 85 OFF THE ROAD    AFTER THE CONTROL BOX HAD MELT DOWN    IM  LOOKING TO GO 24V AS WELL ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREAT  CHEERS SCOTT.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #6 on: 29, July, 2009 - 15:24:05 »
It's not mine Scott - only wish it was !!!!!

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #7 on: 29, July, 2009 - 20:48:46 »
I like the idea - but i'm not sure it will grip and steer as all the weight on the rear.

Nitrowing

« Reply #8 on: 30, July, 2009 - 14:13:37 »
I like the idea - but i'm not sure it will grip and steer as all the weight on the rear.

Steering should be fine but grip... hmm...  ???

I still want one!!!  ;D

Benniz

« Reply #9 on: 03, August, 2009 - 18:18:50 »
Hey guys

With regards to the kits, I have had it custom made by a associate of mine, as long as there is a demand I can supply the full kit for £250 if more than one was wanted this can be negotiated :D you can have them in any volt or watt, if using a lead acid battery I recommend going 12 or 24 volt, but if like me you are using Lifepo4's I would recommend 36 or 48v, mine is 36v, also remember with regards to the watt 250w is the uk legal limit and if you use this kit in conjunction with your original motor it will again not be road legal! I am solely using this kit

Also with regards to grip and steering, I also had these concerns but after using can assure you that because there is a good weight to the motor there is enough down force to keep the front down so It is not a issue!, in fact I think it distributes the weight better as now the full weight is not all on the back but I have also never tried a 12v original to compare so am only going buy this kit so do not know which is better, all I can say for sure is because its 36v it should tackle hills slightly better I have a really steep hill and it got about halfway up before i needed to pedal.

I have also added some new pics I have put the first few coats of a chrome basecoat needs a few more coats then will be adding my topcoat, it looks patchy in places but this is mainly light trickery as it is chrome and also I don't know if anyone has used chrome before but any slightest imperfection shows up like a beacon lol, topcoat will eradicate this :D

Benniz

Karl

« Reply #10 on: 03, August, 2009 - 20:38:04 »
That is looking superb mate , cant wait to see the finished item.

If you could get it to Brooklands for the September event it would be nice to show it off alongside my own "project C5".

It would also be a good talking point for some of the engineers that will be there. ..just a thought  :) 

Benniz

« Reply #11 on: 03, August, 2009 - 21:09:37 »
Thanks Booboo

Yes If I am able to then I would love to come, and to also take part in all the over events you do as it all looks like a lot of fun :D The only problem would be getting to you but I will see what I can do

Nitrowing

« Reply #12 on: 04, August, 2009 - 09:17:13 »
A few questions...
How much did the lifepo4 battery cost?
What size & weight is the battery?
What speed & range will that give?

Would the kit include the throttle and bits or what extras would be required?

Benniz

« Reply #13 on: 04, August, 2009 - 14:34:28 »
Hello Nitrowing I will try to answer your questions

Lifpo4's are quite expensive and will not be for everyone it all depends on what size you get, the first one I got is a 10ah 36v, this weighs only 5kg!!! just imagine how light it would be if it was 12v! this cost about £250. the one I have just bought is a beast though 36v and 40ah weighing only 18kg but cost £550! the first one gives a 36v motor around a 15-20 mile range, the bigger one will do around 60-80 miles, if they were 12v you could treble this distance and double it for 24v but I wanted more volt for better hill climbing and power. But like I said if you are only planning on staying 12-24v and only want to do say a 10-20 mile journey tops I would say stay with lead acids as they are much much cheaper, It does not matter which you choose as long as the battery's are the correct volt they will still work with the kit!

And yes the Kit includes everything wheel,motor,controller,throttle,handle grips etc everything you need!

Cheers Benniz

Benniz

« Reply #14 on: 04, August, 2009 - 14:40:48 »
Another important point to make when choosing your battery is weight as legally the whole thing c5 plus battery and everything else cannot be more than 60kg in the uk as it is classed as a tricycle so remember this also!!