News:

C5alive - The Premier Sinclair C5 website
https://www.c5alive.co.uk

Author Topic: Side Panels  (Read 9548 times)

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
Re: Side Panels
« Reply #15 on: 08, November, 2010 - 09:37:54 »
I was intending to go to Brooklands this coming Saturday morning, but there is one of the biggest street fairs(hence hundreds of potential high-spending customers) in the UK in Loughborough this weekend so if I cannot get there on the Friday I will have to be there Saturday. As I work from Leeds, I don't want to go to Loughbrough and back to Leeds or it is yet another 200 miles to add to my tally of 1000/week on a bad week, 600 miles on a good week.

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #16 on: 08, November, 2010 - 11:20:19 »
Check out these ..All we need is a little sunshine

Offline frankev

• Battery level: 0
  • One Sinclair on the road, doesn't mean it's summer
    • Sinclair meeting in Holland in july 2011
« Reply #17 on: 08, November, 2010 - 14:55:10 »
I really do love it!  :D

But does it makes sense? Do you get enough power to keep on moving?
Looks smashing and eco-friendly anyway. Always good for the pr.

Frank

Offline jk

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #18 on: 09, November, 2010 - 07:44:58 »
Side panels!!
Not required for me! always sunny here in oz  :)

I see you are in Adelaide. Fancy a race up O,Halloran Hill ( spelt wrong I know )  ;D

When I've put it back together!

aladds

« Reply #19 on: 09, November, 2010 - 18:21:23 »
...trying to create a pair using the originals as a template.

In a bizarre twist of fate, I've just been presented with a pair of side panels to copy, although I've got to give them back of course. The fabric is interesting, reminds me of a mid-80s postman's coat which we used to have kicking around (but, annoyingly, threw out a few weeks ago or I'd be cutting it up right now). I think kite fabric would be too thin, I'll have to see what I can find :-)

Perhaps we could have a race! :-P

I'm also interested in how to replicate the plastic clips, I'm wondering if generic tent-style hooks would be adequate or if we'd need to have something made... The strips which go through the pod would be easy enough to get or make replacement for, though.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: 09, November, 2010 - 18:29:04 »
I looked in to doing this, but decided to buy a new pair from Adam.  Bought myself some and some for my son for his C5. was much easier - lol

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #21 on: 10, November, 2010 - 09:12:37 »
I have suitable modern( ie higher performance, lighter weight)fabric in stock in about a dozen colours, and also hold a selection of plastic hooks.

aladds

« Reply #22 on: 12, November, 2010 - 20:49:25 »
Take a look:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10211714@N03/5169762717/

I've got the fabric cut and sewn (double thickness). Velcro is in the post, elastic is ready. All I need is clips!

It'll be interesting to see what these are like compared to the originals. I might take the C5 out with one of each fitted so I can compare them, it'll look strange but will be a useful test. For cold weather situations it might be worth interlining them...

Karl

« Reply #23 on: 13, November, 2010 - 06:57:05 »
Looking good  :), if you cant find exact copies of the clips maybe something non-original could be adapted ?

Offline frankev

• Battery level: 0
  • One Sinclair on the road, doesn't mean it's summer
    • Sinclair meeting in Holland in july 2011
« Reply #24 on: 16, November, 2010 - 08:53:13 »
Maybe the best solution to stay warm and dry, even in the winter is to buy a Cagdeck. You can buy it at your local canoe shop.  ;D

http://www.canoes2kayaks.co.uk/cag-decks/peak_uk_deluxe_long.
Maybe you have to adjust your C5 a little to make it fit.  ;)

aladds

« Reply #25 on: 16, November, 2010 - 18:03:13 »
Looking good  :), if you cant find exact copies of the clips maybe something non-original could be adapted ?

I went to Macays on East Road in Cambridge, they have a metalworking workshop. They took a piece of aluminium and bent it over into a somewhat flat "J" shape which, after bolting on some thin-ish aluminium rods for the elastic to pass over, work brilliantly to keep it in place. That's a really bad description, but I'll upload some pictures in a bit.

I do, however, have some pictures of the right hand side panel, completed and fitted to my C5. Some of the stitching's a little wonky and the elastic had to be extended a bit, but if I may say so myself, it looks rather good. I'll let you make your own judgements, though :-)

Side panel - 1

The second photo is currently uploading, I'll edit this post with a link when it's done.

EDIT: Here it is: Side panel - 2

Adam
« Last Edit: 16, November, 2010 - 18:07:27 by aladds »

marcdonnelly

« Reply #26 on: 16, November, 2010 - 18:24:06 »
Looks great well done... ;D

Karl

« Reply #27 on: 16, November, 2010 - 18:36:20 »
Adam that is a top effort mate, worthy of a proper pat on the back  8)

Especially proud as it has been done in the true c5alive tradition of improvise, adapt and overcome  ;D

aladds

« Reply #28 on: 16, November, 2010 - 20:33:43 »
Thanks for the kind words guys :-)

I've still got to finish off the edges, I've got some foam to fit to the clips so they don't scratch the body (any more than it already is…) and I'd like to make some sort of cover to go over the top (tonneau-style). Also some sort of clothing-inedependent coat skirt or something would be nice to keep the warmth in. I'll have to do some more thinking, then crack the sewing machine out again!

Adam

P.S. I am still working on a PIC replacement for the Pod, it's taking quite some time though, as my C5 isn't working 100% in the Pod department it's hard, too. I'll let you all know of developments soon enough :-)

I'm also sorry I hijacked this thread. I didn't mean to, I just felt it was the best place to show my efforts. I'm eagerly awaiting MikeDX's properly made side panels :-)

Offline MikeDX

« Reply #29 on: 16, November, 2010 - 20:36:07 »
No need to apologise!

Youve set a high standard there.

My turn or covermans turn next.

Maybe i'll make a comedy pair of speedos for my c5  :D