News:

C5alive - The Premier Sinclair C5 website
https://www.c5alive.co.uk

Author Topic: Oh dear, a small fire  (Read 2107 times)

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
Oh dear, a small fire
« on: 19, May, 2013 - 20:37:02 »
Well, C5 #2 has gone wrong for the first time today. Went out on it and on the return leg started to smell burning. I disconnected the battery and pedalled home.

When I returned home, I tightened up the cables on the battery clamps and connected the battery again cue the sound of sparks and a horrid plastic burning smell. I disconnected the battery and took the boot off to be met with smoke bellowing out of the control box. I quickly poured some water over it and continued with its removal. It's clearly been messed with before as there were screws holding the control box back plate on.

Two of the wires had fused together and when I went to undo the nuts holding them on I found out the cause of the fire - none of the nuts holding the wires on were done up!

Dad used to be an electrician so I got him to cut the damaged part of the positive motor wire and put a new crimp connector on, bridge a burnt track in the control box and redo some insulation which had burnt exposing bare wires.

A couple of hours later the C5 was working again but is in need of some locking washers for the wires in the control box and a new thin brown wire.

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 5
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
Re: Oh dear, a small fire
« Reply #1 on: 19, May, 2013 - 21:42:22 »
Was there any other damage to the c5 :-\

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 19, May, 2013 - 22:12:21 »
bit of a close shave  :o

Offline scott

• Battery level: 8
« Reply #3 on: 12, September, 2013 - 12:45:01 »
That happened to Bluebird a few years back  I think the photos are on the forum somewhere ::)