News:

C5alive - The Premier Sinclair C5 website
https://www.c5alive.co.uk

Author Topic: Slipping belt  (Read 3852 times)

maccblade

Slipping belt
« on: 02, August, 2008 - 14:48:02 »
Hi again
Many thanks for the help regarding the wiring on my new toy, all is now fine and so much easier to set up with the new quick release battery terminals.
After cleaning and greasing the motor/gearbox, fitting the new wiring and also fitting a bracket to stop the belt slipping, I find that this is exactly what is happening.
Is the only answer to a slipping belt to replace it? If so, do I go for the wider one?
I have the bracket on but cant understand how it is supposed to stop any slip.
Thanks for looking at my post, lets hope I can soon be out and about on it.

Karl

Re: Slipping belt
« Reply #1 on: 02, August, 2008 - 21:08:58 »
The wider belt is always a good idea, spreading the load is never a bad thing  8)

The bracket may need adjusting, since I've found it is not possible to make each bracket fit every C5 :o This is because I'm now noticing more and more than each C5 seems to have different build tolerances - motor windings,size of gear box cogs, thickness of plastic etc etc  :-\.

A bit like SMART cars, a continually evolving product where the customer is doing the product development  ::)

I'm afraid it's a case of owning a C5 is a "hands on" experience that will involve getting your hands dirty - but then thats part of the endearing charm of all C5's  ;D :D

c5martin

« Reply #2 on: 02, August, 2008 - 22:38:50 »
If you need help with the motor mod bracket please give me a call and I can explain exactly how it works.

As Karl said we have found some of the motor mod brackets need adjusting due to differences in C5 production models.

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 07, August, 2008 - 08:56:43 »
Having destroyed two gearboxes while testing a maxxed out 24v C5, I can safely say the belt drive was also properly tested.

During all this abuse, the belt never slipped. Also, on a 64mile London-Brighton run last year using a 12v C5, the belt never slipped.

On this basis I would say if you have a gearbox in good condition, a new wider drive belt and a motor mod bracket fitted then your belt will not slip. ;)

If it does slip, it has to be because something is not set up properly.

Make sure there is no play in the drive wheel on the end of the gearbox (bearings), that it's not worn with "hooked" teeth etc, make sure the motor and gearbox are sitting "on the wall" properly with the mod bracket a nice tight fit, check both rubber "bungs" are fitted between the chassis and the  underneath of the seat,check you have the correct number of washers between the wheel and the large white drive plastic cog. Theres probably something else I've missed out, but you get the idea. It's quite a lot of fiddling around, but worth it in the end. 8)