News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Rear Wheel Build Sequence  (Read 5717 times)

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
Rear Wheel Build Sequence
« on: 04, February, 2009 - 16:09:46 »
Until I get around to having a go at doing the motor, we thought we would have a go down the lane, we have found that the rear drive wheel wont keep tight. If we tighten it up to much the wheel won't turn.

I'm beginning to think there are some parts missing.
« Last Edit: 07, September, 2011 - 22:15:40 by BooBoo »

Karl

Re: Rear Wheel Build Sequence
« Reply #1 on: 05, February, 2009 - 23:07:13 »
Here's some piccies of the rear wheel components on the brake side , minus the wheeltrim and its large retaining washer ;

« Last Edit: 05, February, 2009 - 23:09:40 by Karl (C5Alive) »

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 05, February, 2009 - 23:12:51 »
Here's the drive belt side ;

If the retaining bolt on your drive belt side gets tight and then goes loose again, it may have previously been overtightened and damaged the thread - it is something we've seen before.

« Last Edit: 05, February, 2009 - 23:21:27 by Karl (C5Alive) »

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 06, February, 2009 - 06:27:43 »
thank you !

Looks like I have all the bits. These shims?
Can you tell me where they fit? I have one before the main gear and one after.

Cheers

Ian

Edit

After looking at the picture I see you have layer the parts out in squence. I'll build mine up as you and use a little silicone as a thread glue for the end nut.

Thanks again, your a swell guy. 
« Last Edit: 06, February, 2009 - 06:41:11 by Umpa »

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 06, February, 2009 - 08:57:22 »

After looking at the picture I see you have layer the parts out in squence. I'll build mine up as you and use a little silicone as a thread glue for the end nut.

spot on mate ;) , the picture of all the components laid out on the towel is the correct sequence. The shims go between the wheel and the white drive cog. They are used to stop the drive cog moving about -  which could cause the drive belt to "wander off"  :)

looks like you're making some good progress on keeping another c5 alive - which is excellent behaviour  8)

ps - I've got your email and will sort out a casing for you.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 06, February, 2009 - 13:10:42 »
Cheers dude.

Edit :- I intend to bring 'Nelly' to some meets :) so she has to be right.
« Last Edit: 06, February, 2009 - 13:14:40 by Umpa »

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 07, February, 2009 - 09:42:13 »
it would be great to see some more faces at the meetings , so even if yours isnt ready you could always borrow "Dave"

ps - you mentioned in your email about up/down movement of your rear wheel . This shouldn't happen - although the "wheel bearings" are situated further along in the plastic motor mount assembly, the wheel is kept secure by the "star-shaped" nut and "tube" type parts,plus the retaining bolt. There should be minimal play in the wheel , might be worth checking everything is properly "home and adequately tightened. 

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 07, February, 2009 - 13:29:33 »
Hi,

I am having serious issues with the rear wheel now.  Just went out for a spin (cant go far because of the motor) - but....

The metal tube must have moved up into the wheel some how.  I lost all drive, the main gear was turning but there was no drive.

I checked the nut and it was OK (i put silicone on the threads).  After I removed the wheel I could see that the metal pipe had moved forward and the main gear just sting on the splines.

A roller bearing had fell out. but I found it and put it back in.  That's where the fun started because after I could not put the pipe back though the bearing !!!!!.

I soaked in in penetrating fluid and ran my finger though it for a while, and with a squirt of spray grease & with a little force it when though.

I have fitted it back on and seems to work OK.  I really have to fix this its doing my head in.

It seems there is no support in the back side of the wheel, all the support is on the spines at the front of the wheel, I'm beginning to think that a part of the wheel in missing - like a bush or something.

Could you do a close up of the inside rear wheel for me ? I'll do one with a real camera this time (all pics so far have been with iphone).

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 07, February, 2009 - 13:58:33 »
I'm a complete and utter idiot !!!!!

Just realsed. I only had the wheel the wrong way arround. Now I see how it works.

Sorry - for the hassle.

Karl

« Reply #9 on: 07, February, 2009 - 14:07:38 »
mate - welcome to the weird world of c5 ownership  8); joy and frustration in equal measure  ;D

have you downloaded a copy of the unofficial c5 owners manual ?

full of useful info and available free via the download section from the front page of the main website !

http://c5alive.co.uk/downloads2.htm

word format;
http://c5alive.co.uk/pub/downloads/C5-UnofficialServiceManual.doc

pdf format;
http://c5alive.co.uk/pub/downloads/C5-UnofficialServiceManual.pdf