News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: Anyone use theirs as Sir Clive intended?  (Read 3857 times)

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
Anyone use theirs as Sir Clive intended?
« on: 12, December, 2011 - 20:01:44 »
I use mine pretty much daily, not so much now in Winter as you can't see a thing in the dark with the original lights but when it's warmer I use it everyday for school, shopping etc. I'm planning on getting another battery top, straps & battery for my birthday in March to extend my range in time for summer.

The boot's not really big enough though, I mean I can fit a i-station, tyre pump, spare set of inner tubes, phone charger, paracetamol, toolkit & cable ties in it but I couldn't get a 9" pizza flat in the boot and by the time I got home it didn't look very appetising, and the floor catches on speed bumps down my close so I have to get out and lift the front end over  :D

So far I've worked out that I've covered around 150-200 miles in it, everyone loves it and it has been faultless.  ;D

Anyone else use theirs daily, any experiences you want to share?

Karl

Re: Anyone use theirs as Sir Clive intended?
« Reply #1 on: 12, December, 2011 - 20:11:53 »
I think retroAndy and Umpa were probably the most regulars users that I've seen as they both used a c5 for commuting to work. You're also clocking up the miles quite nicely given the short amount of time you've owned one  8)

As much as I enjoy c5's as a hobby I do concede they're less practical than a proper bicycle, but then a c5 does have a weird fun element to make up for it  ;D

Offline thedesigntailor

• Battery level: 5
  • designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #2 on: 12, December, 2011 - 21:03:44 »
I tend to go to work on mine when the weather's nice. I've got nice safe storage there too.

Have you been to school on yours yet? If so what kind of reaction did you get?

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #3 on: 12, December, 2011 - 21:15:29 »
I tend to go to work on mine when the weather's nice. I've got nice safe storage there too.

Have you been to school on yours yet? If so what kind of reaction did you get?

Yup, did a week in a row and a couple of odd days when the weather was nice. In general I get good comments from students & even teachers. Three teachers have had a go on it and I did a presentation about it to a Year 10 business studies class.

I have had negative comments on it from two students but they are of the type that think that trying to offend others in one way or another will make them popular. They obviously don't realise the error of their ways  :D.

Offline alan1310

• i wish i was that man
« Reply #4 on: 23, January, 2012 - 16:45:12 »
i use mine as much as i can it used to be everyday since baby but not so much now thats all going to change watch this space

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #5 on: 24, January, 2012 - 18:00:11 »
I use to use mine a lot to get to work and back, but I haven't got to use it for some time, its not all good when you get a company car (And I've put weight on :'()

Retro Andy.

Offline Lancealot

• Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #6 on: 24, January, 2012 - 19:36:49 »
It's not built for comfort, especially when you have a bad back (slipped disc & siatica) :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Lance

Rona

« Reply #7 on: 25, February, 2012 - 20:44:04 »
I use mine almost daily taking the dog to the park.  We do a 5 kilometer run.  I take it to school sometimes, sometimes to the grocery for a loaf of bread.  I plan on running it to the ground in some twenty or thirty years from now :P

rafarestaura

« Reply #8 on: 25, February, 2012 - 21:10:06 »
Well, as I can read, I run the more crowded C5 of the forum,  8), I use it at least three or four times a week to go to school with my twin sons on the trailer and later to work, and the rest of the days I use my tandem bike with the trailer to get a fourth place for my daughter. I also run a very crowded bike, really. ;). This is a very cold winter but dry so I´ve lost a very few days of cycling beause rain, today has been sunny and 20ºC, I´m getting brown when I´ve been working on the roof of the workshop¡¡ ;D ;D.

Regards, Rafael

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #9 on: 25, February, 2012 - 21:13:17 »
Well, as I can read, I run the more crowded C5 of the forum,  8), I use it at least three or four times a week to go to school with my twin sons on the trailer and later to work, and the rest of the days I use my tandem bike with the trailer to get a fourth place for my daughter. I also run a very crowded bike, really. ;). This is a very cold winter but dry so I´ve lost a very few days of cycling beause rain, today has been sunny and 20ºC, I´m getting brown when I´ve been working on the roof of the workshop¡¡ ;D ;D.

Regards, Rafael

That is a fair bit more use than mine gets. I cover roughly 200 miles/month on mine.

Offline frankev

• Battery level: 0
  • One Sinclair on the road, doesn't mean it's summer
    • Sinclair meeting in Holland in july 2011
« Reply #10 on: 29, February, 2012 - 11:11:45 »
I use mine daily. Since I am handicapped I use my Sinclair as a kind of scoot-mobile that lets me bicycle as well. So its good for my condition. I have a 7 gear shimano build in to make this biking more relaxed. This riding around keeps me in shape and gets me everywhere. I have a permit to even drive in pedestrian areas, a privilege I cherish since I live in an old town and the pedestrian pavement is a much smoother than the medieval cobblestone you are forced to use otherwise. I have a T-Ford claxon to make sure nobody stumbles over me.
Last month we had some serious cold, icy days and all regular bikes where slipping through traffic like kamikaze pilots. I use my C5 "to boldly go where no bike has gone before"
Also, since I have a Border Collie sheepdog, I use it to walk (if you can call it that) the dog twice a day. He really loves to use all off his energy running and pulling me around.
I think Sir Clive saw special roads for bicycles all over the country, so his C5 would not annoy the other road users with its limited speed.
So basically I think Sir Clive intended the C5 for the Netherlands. ::)

Offline peckishere

• Battery level: 3
    • peckishere's Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 01, March, 2012 - 20:48:33 »
last year I used mine all summer to commute to and from work. It was great fun and got so many looks of amazement and positive comments from people  ;D. The boot turned out to be sized perfectly to fit a bike pump, wet weather panels, battery charger and my lunch.

However the company I work for has relocated to a new unit just down the road and there is no free space inside to park my c5. We have bike racks and chaining points outside but I just do not want to risk leaving it outside for people to mess around with and possibly steal / damage / vandalize.  :'(