News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: Chassis damage  (Read 4332 times)

Karl

Chassis damage
« on: 19, April, 2010 - 10:42:41 »
Don't go stunt jumping on yer C5 !  :o

I've just stripped a scrap c5 and found this damage;

I could see by the state of the bodyshell that this c5 has had a really hard life, but this chassis is probably the worst I've seen. I don't think it's worth saving  :-\.

Not the end of the world though, I have a couple of spares that will scrub up nicely  :);

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
Re: Chassis damage
« Reply #1 on: 19, April, 2010 - 10:50:53 »
Hi there Karl  the worst one I`v seen .Don`t think it`s repairable but you never know

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 19, April, 2010 - 10:54:20 »
Mate - you really don't want to see me let loose with anything resembling welding gear  ;D (....I'd only make it a lot worse  ::))

In all seriousness, it is in such a poor state I don't think it worth the time and effort trying to save it.

...But, if anyone wants to give it a try before I throw it away they are more than welcome to it ( you'll have to collect or pay for postage though !) 
« Last Edit: 19, April, 2010 - 10:57:04 by BooBoo »

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #3 on: 19, April, 2010 - 18:07:20 »
Not half as bad I know but could have a word with my mate that fixed Goldfinger which had similar damage at the y section :

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 20, April, 2010 - 12:12:53 »
Did you want it as a spare mate ? I could try and squeeze it in my car for you on Thursday  ;)

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #5 on: 20, April, 2010 - 16:21:39 »
If you can fit it in !!! Cheers Bud

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #6 on: 13, October, 2011 - 21:04:52 »

Not the end of the world though, I have a couple of spares that will scrub up nicely  :);

The chassis on my C5 is in a similar state to the one on the left in Karl's photo. Would it be worth stripping the whole thing down to get the chassis sanded & resprayed if the rest of the C5 doesn't need a rebuild?

Karl

« Reply #7 on: 13, October, 2011 - 22:26:41 »
Stripping a c5 down to its component parts is quite straightforward ,so if your chassis is rusty it may be worth doing . I've seen attempts to paint just the parts that show but it only takes a little more effort to do the whole thing properly.

Depends on how long you want to keep the c5 and how much you want to spend on it I guess  :)

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #8 on: 14, October, 2011 - 07:25:51 »
Quote from: BooBoo link=topic=1061.msg17042#msg17042 date=

Depends on how long you want to keep the c5 and how much you want to spend on it I guess  :)

I'll probably be keeping this one for a fair few years. It's just that I'm the sort of person that if I go to strip something down to paint one part I end up refurbing all the bits that come off  ::) ;D