News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: Greetings everyone, I'm a newbie from High Wycombe!  (Read 2127 times)

andski

Greetings everyone, I'm a newbie from High Wycombe!
« on: 26, April, 2010 - 14:03:03 »
Hi there, I was fortunate enough to recently receive a whole C5 for my 44th birthday and this is how I've arrived here!

A friend had been at a customer's property and spotted the C5 in their garden, knowing that I like a project, (and at some point in time I must have expressed my interest in C5's) he called me up and asked me what it was worth. I honestly can't remember what I told him, as this was all back in November and it was never mentioned again. Anyway, a deal was done and my wife and pal craftily went halves on the purchase. The C5 was hidden away in his garage until last weekend when it arrived in the drive complete with document pack, press cuttings charger, key & a bow!

I don't know where it had been stored, but the body was very green in places and the footwells were home to large amounts of leaves (& wood lice). Some of the exposed metal parts and fixings are quite corroded (parking brake lever looks a problem?), so all things that should move have been liberally sprayed with lubricant and penetrating oil squirted on seized parts. Underneath, the body is quite scratched (from going over kerbs I presume?) and the chain is looking rather sad, but it is all there and luckily the chassis looks solid with just surface rust and a few flaky edges.

Having given it a hoover out and scrub up, I'm pleasantly surprised with its appearance and completeness - just one rubber grommet missing from a mast socket and the headlight lens is cracked. The charger looks like it has been rather damp though, so I shall put that aside for testing. With the boot removed, it would appear the motor is seized solid and perhaps this could be why it was retired from use? I will take it off now I have found the information within the forum – I didn’t want to disturb the control box initially, but that seems the only way to disconnect the motor power feeds. Leaving it a few more days will allow the oil to get to work anyway.

I have been looking for a serial number for the C5, but can’t see one – any clues? The battery has one though, 000383 and was manufactured in 1983.

So I’m going to order up the tyre set first and at least I will then be able to move it around. Am sure I will be back in touch soon for advice – are there any other members in the High Wycombe area?

Andy.

Karl

Re: Greetings everyone, I'm a newbie from High Wycombe!
« Reply #1 on: 26, April, 2010 - 15:26:45 »
Hi Andy,

Welcome to c5alive mate . Sounds like you have a bit of a project on your hands there but seems you also have the determination to sort it  8) Always good to see another one saved from the scrapper  :).

The serial number is just a sticker located on top of the grey "transmission tunnel" up near the pedals behind the headlight . We do a DIY free replacement ;

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=261.0

Dont forget to post some before and after piccies and keep us updated on your progress..

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #2 on: 27, April, 2010 - 18:38:00 »
Welcome the C5 alive forum, you will get any help and advise you need here and its nice to have another Andy on the site.

Retro Andy.

andski

« Reply #3 on: 27, April, 2010 - 19:43:44 »
Thanks,
I have ordered the essentials now to start work and am looking forward to the bank holiday weekend for a serious session. The gearbox was seized owing to the large outer bearing being corroded solid and the motor is now running very quietly and smoothly, having removed all manner of debris from within! Can't wait to test it, but the electrics are still an unknown.
What I like so far is the manageability of the C5, nothing weighs too much, or needs excessive force. And all can be done on the comfort of a B&D Workmate, bench or kitchen top. Takes me back to tinkering with Raleigh Wisp mopeds!
Andy.

ps That outer gearbox bearing must be a cause for trouble, what with no protection to stop water and grit getting to it? Also, it seems bizarre that a fan blade wasn't incorporated into the armature assembly to assist cooling - maybe they aren't needed on torpedoes that only run for a matter of seconds?

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #4 on: 28, April, 2010 - 16:08:32 »
Welcome to the forum  ....

Lots of helpful people on here with years of C5 experience  ....

John