News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: I Finally Got One  (Read 18345 times)

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
Re: I Finally Got One
« Reply #30 on: 30, October, 2012 - 14:20:52 »
Hiya Lance

Not to sure, I have a few problems to overcome first!

I am still running on the original tyres, I don't think they have been used much but are so old I am not sure they are safe??  I am debating buying some of the city jets before they go out of stock.

I am running on the original battery, not sure it will have a range to get around Heaton Park, I have a C5 Alive wiring kit but I am wondering if I should keep the key switch and buy a compatible battery.  If I do this I am not sure how the plastic cover fits as the original battery has screwed bars coming out of the terminals.

I am not confident to ride the C5 on the roads yet to Heaton Park and I don't have a car that it will fit in!

Also I think I need to grease everything before a big run, when I go around  right hand corner I get a squeaking noise, I am presuming that the bearings need greasing on the off side wheel?

I am not sure if I should just go for the strip down and re-grease everything after painting the frame and building back up.

Any help on any of the above is always welcome from anyone!!

I ran the original tyres on mine for a year before upgrading to a set of City Jets in September - and what a difference! It cured the understeer, it rolled more smoothly & easily and the City Jets are practically silent compared to the noisy originals.

I doubt your original battery will have a good range - mine dies after 500yds. Everyone on here says that the wiring kits are much better in terms of reliability and ease of use. With the wiring kit you can also use any battery that fits the space in the footwell. I, however, have stuck to the keyswitches. My C5 is ran daily and does upwards of 200 miles/month and I have never experienced any reliability issues with either of my keyswitches. I use Yuasa 038 batteries which give a range of around 12 miles each - though I've managed 27 miles out of two connected in parallel before. So it really is up to you, but if your keyswitch is not worn I would be tempted to leave it as is.

Mine sometimes squeaks when going round tight right-hand corners - it's the brakes. Mine are adjusted so they rub slightly otherwise I couldn't get them to work. Also, I recall reading somewhere about the drums becoming oval over time - this could also potentially cause the squeak.

Why don't you feel confident riding it on the road?

Offline mhurt

• Battery level: 3
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #31 on: 30, October, 2012 - 15:48:19 »
Riding on the road is all part of the fun of a C5. I don't have any problems here as people tend to slow down and stare at the C5 rather than try to overtake etc - they're more likely to hit each other than me.
I'd also recommend riding in the primary position (middle of the lane) rather than close to the kerb, as it tends to be full of debris and rubbish and bumpy as hell the closer to the kerb you get. Additionally, riding in the middle of the lane gives you additional confidence (because people are less likely to overtake you whilst only leaving a rival between you and them) and helps when positioning to turn (especially right turns & roundabouts).

I do often wish that we had bett cycling infrastructure in this country, but we don't (and the missus wouldn't take too kindly to me suggesting we move to Holland :p )

Offline pso-buzz

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #32 on: 30, October, 2012 - 15:57:28 »
Hello

kamilb1998 that is really useful advice. I am tempted to keep the key switch for now but keep the C5 wiring kit just in case. Can you please tell me how you fit the grey battery top to the type 038 battery please?  I am presuming they don't have the threaded bar fitted to the terminals.

Think I need to strip the brakes down and adjust and grease the bearings to be sure.  I am getting more and more tempted with the city jets.

Mhurt, With regard to using it on the road I am a bit wary as its so slow and I keep thinking I will hold up traffic.  I live in North Manchester and I am not sure the majority of people around here would be too keen on my blocking the road off at 15 MPH! 

Simon

Offline pso-buzz

« Reply #33 on: 30, October, 2012 - 16:04:29 »
LOL i am just looking at Yuasa 038 batteries on their website.  Its a minefield!! 

I have no idea where to start!!!

Please help!!
« Last Edit: 30, October, 2012 - 16:11:25 by pso-buzz »

Offline mhurt

• Battery level: 3
« Reply #34 on: 30, October, 2012 - 16:21:10 »
Hello

kamilb1998 that is really useful advice. I am tempted to keep the key switch for now but keep the C5 wiring kit just in case. Can you please tell me how you fit the grey battery top to the type 038 battery please?  I am presuming they don't have the threaded bar fitted to the terminals.

Think I need to strip the brakes down and adjust and grease the bearings to be sure.  I am getting more and more tempted with the city jets.

Mhurt, With regard to using it on the road I am a bit wary as its so slow and I keep thinking I will hold up traffic.  I live in North Manchester and I am not sure the majority of people around here would be too keen on my blocking the road off at 15 MPH! 

Simon

They'll be at home, it will be like driving through the city centre, only faster :)
You'd be slower if you had to use a Class 3 mobility scooter, and you won't be slower than other cyclists. The C5 isn't really any wider than a standard cycle at the handlebars, so drivers need to give you just as much space. You can also use any cycle lanes, and most places allow cyclists in bus lanes too.
The more confidently you ride, the safer you are.

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #35 on: 30, October, 2012 - 16:44:58 »
Hello

You'll need these to fit a battery to the battery top;

http://c5alive.co.uk/index.php?com=shop&display=product&id=36

The Yuasa 038 batteries are around £40 and can be ordered from Yuasa's website, a link to which I have pasted below;

http://www.yuasabatteries.co.uk/yuasa-professional-038-car-battery-366-p.asp

Offline pso-buzz

« Reply #36 on: 30, October, 2012 - 16:57:28 »
kamilb1998 that is just brilliant, thank you so much for the links.

Looks like I will be spending some more money!!

Can I please just ask. If I buy the conversion clamps will the grey battery cover sit flush like before?

Thanks again

Simon

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #37 on: 30, October, 2012 - 17:01:44 »

Can I please just ask. If I buy the conversion clamps will the grey battery cover sit flush like before?

Not quite sure what you mean there. Will it sit flush with what?

Offline pso-buzz

« Reply #38 on: 30, October, 2012 - 17:28:23 »
Hello sorry I am not explaining myself properly.

Will the grey plastic original c5 battery top fit like it does on the original oldham battery?

Basically is it a direct replacement so it fits and looks like the original but with a different battery?

Thank you

Karl

« Reply #39 on: 30, October, 2012 - 17:43:34 »
Take a look at this linked topic ;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1441.msg11200.html#msg11200

...as you can see you will need to enlarge the holes in the Sinclair battery top . Using an 038 or 015 battery will give you the closest match we've yet found to the original Oldham battery in terms of physical size. These batteries do accept the Sinclair tops but leave it slightly raised along one edge, not enough to give any snags.

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #40 on: 30, October, 2012 - 18:02:07 »
Karl's covered it!

Here's some pictures of how the battery will look;

Offline pso-buzz

« Reply #41 on: 30, October, 2012 - 18:05:09 »
Brilliant brilliant brilliant!

This site is awesome.  Looks great to me.  I might try and get hold of an old battery top/cover to convert it.

Thank you

Simon

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #42 on: 30, October, 2012 - 18:23:02 »
Hi there if you pay the postage I will post you an old battery top  that will want a good clean ..Bye Chas
« Last Edit: 30, October, 2012 - 18:24:43 by C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER »

Offline pso-buzz

« Reply #43 on: 30, October, 2012 - 18:47:24 »
Chas you are an absolute star.  Of course I will pay postage. Quite happy to buy it off you too.

Thank you once again chas

Simon.

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #44 on: 30, October, 2012 - 19:03:09 »
Ok just send me an email of you name address ..bye Chas