News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: Wheel spacer washers  (Read 7475 times)

c5

Wheel spacer washers
« on: 07, July, 2008 - 00:30:12 »
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and have recently rebuilt most of the drive mechanism on the c5.

Currently, although running, I am not sure how many washers go either side of the large cog that sits on the axle. At the moment I have them all on the side nearest the wheel as to make sure the cog is at its innermost position in alignment with the drive pinion and belt to ensure the belt is kept straight, thus reducing chances of slipping. Also I'm not sure where the spring washer goes.

Can anyone tell me what the washer set up is, as they arn't pictured in the c5 parts diagram.

Apart from that I've done many miles today  :)

Regards,
Luke.
« Last Edit: 07, July, 2008 - 00:32:09 by c5 »

c5martin

Re: Wheel spacer washers
« Reply #1 on: 07, July, 2008 - 17:20:42 »
Hi Luke,

I would put the washers just as you have. :)

As for the spring washer need more information on size etc or a picture. :-\

c5

Re: New problem
« Reply #2 on: 10, July, 2008 - 11:21:26 »
Thanks the the reply. The washer set up looks ok from what I can see, however every day after only a mile or so the drive belt slips off the drive pinion.

I have a new gearbox which has an even pinion, a new 18mm drive belt and a motor mod mount bracket fitted also, which is holding the plastic ledge in fine and the motor horizontal as frequently checked.

But the same problem arises. There is no skipping of teeth as belt is correctly tensioned, but it seems to keep slipping off after little use. Is there anything else to try?

I was thinking about placing a washer on the end of the drive pinion but I can't help wondering that with all the replacement parts why this should even be a problem.

I'm thinking the motor drive pinion should have had an edge for the belt to be kept on at manufacture.

Any tips?!

Regards

« Last Edit: 10, July, 2008 - 22:18:42 by c5 »

c5martin

« Reply #3 on: 10, July, 2008 - 13:11:38 »
If you jack up your c5 with the wheels off the ground and run the motor does the belt still slip off.

c5

« Reply #4 on: 10, July, 2008 - 15:23:13 »
It doesn't slip off but it does move about 0.5cm away from the flush point of the belt if it were to sit perfectly.

Since my original post about the belt slipping, I have made a washer system to act as a lip on the drive pinion to stop this problem.

I have done about half a mile after fitting and all seems ok, but if the belt is slipping ever so slightly as it seems to be, eventually I think I'm going to wear out one side of the belt where it makes contact with the washer.

Since I have a new motor mount aswell I'm not sure it's a motor tilting problems, as all seems very straight. So not too sure what the culprit is as replaced all parts in drive section so far.  ???

Regards

UPDATE:

So far after a few more miles the belt stays on as expected however there is very very slight signs of wear on the edge of the belt, but this shouldn't be much of a problem.

The only problem is hopefully resolving the original cause of the belts movement.
« Last Edit: 10, July, 2008 - 22:21:10 by c5 »

camp0s

« Reply #5 on: 11, July, 2008 - 09:48:24 »
Uhm, have you inserted the big white gear, the one on the wheel axle, in the right position? i'll try to explain, the right position in the one where you cannot take out the belt once it is mounted over the gear and the motor transmission; don't fit the white gear facing you in the way you can remove the belt without removing the white gear.. the white gear has a side which is open and the other with a plastic ring larger than the teeth, you should put that side facing outside the C5 NOT towards the internal. Hope this helps !

c5

« Reply #6 on: 12, July, 2008 - 11:19:53 »
Thanks for the reply.

I have the large gear in the correct position, but so far the only way to stop the frequent slipping is using a washer to act as a lip on the drive pinion. This has worked great, but I'm probably going to need a new belt every month with the wear on the side...

camp0s

« Reply #7 on: 12, July, 2008 - 15:47:27 »
Very strange! i'm trying to think how the belt could slip from the motor gear IF the white gear is correctly fitted.. it shouldn't! i'm goingo to look on my C5, but if the whute gear is fitted all inside the C5, the way you can correctly fully mount the wheel, there's no space left for the belt to slip of.. uhm, i'm sure but, is still present that "metal tube" which wraps around the wheel axle, the one which stays inside the motor mount plastic box under the motor with one way rotating and that is providing correct spacing for the big white gear? horrible way to explain myself, i hope you got the idea.

Also, motor metal bracket? still there? and that plastic thing that "holds" the motor reduction gears (brown or white) is still in place over the plastic that should keep it up?

c5

« Reply #8 on: 12, July, 2008 - 16:04:54 »
Hi, yes it does seem a bit strange!

I have recently purchased all new parts for this drive section, including motor mod to keep the motor horizontal. The wheel spacer tube is present aswell. Without the washer system I added on, the belt seems to stay for maybe half a mile to a mile then pop off.

I'm not sure if there is a washer to go behind the big plastic gear on the axle, but I have replaced everything with the washer the other side as to keep the gear closer to the frame to allow the belt barrier to have more of an impact.

At present, it drives great with the washer and a belt would probably last a long time like it, but I'm sure there arn't that many c5's with a need for the washer!

Regards,
Luke.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #9 on: 20, February, 2009 - 20:29:02 »
I know how it happens because it happned to me. The problem is that after you fit the wheel, there is a gap where the silver rod, the bit that the gear turns on sticks out further than the gear. So the gear has a sideways movement. It's almost like the silver pipe has not been pushed in to the bearing far enough and so is to long. As you drive the main gear rides up to the wheel and then the belt comes off.

My question is. Is there a right and wrong way of fitting the pipe ? Should any of this pipe extend beyond the main gear or should the gear be flush with the end of the pipe ?

Karl

« Reply #10 on: 20, February, 2009 - 21:52:14 »

My question is. Is there a right and wrong way of fitting the pipe ? Should any of this pipe extend beyond the main gear or should the gear be flush with the end of the pipe ?

You certainly need to "wiggle" the axle to make sure the sleeve/pipe fits "home" properly. The washers are essential and fill the excess space at the end of the sleeve/pipe between the large white drive cog and the metal plate on the back of the wheel . As you say, it prevents the drive cog moving about ,which in turn can cause the drive belt to drift.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: 23, February, 2009 - 14:38:20 »
Do we have a measurement for how much pipe should stick out ? I think the bearng may be full of tish preventing the pipe from driving all the way home. I have about 10mm of pipe sticking out after the gear wheel is on. I only have 3 shims and they don't take up the slack.

Karl

« Reply #12 on: 23, February, 2009 - 17:54:12 »
10mm does sound like more than usual, but then everything with C5's tends to vary from one vehicle to another .

The photo's in the rear wheel sequence show how far home the "pipe" fits. In the picture you can see I didn't need many shims .

I should be able to take some piccies & measurements tomorrow for you.

Karl

« Reply #13 on: 24, February, 2009 - 17:05:02 »
I should be able to take some piccies & measurements tomorrow for you.

...something else cropped up - I'll sort this a little later for you  ;)

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: 24, February, 2009 - 19:55:11 »
I've fixed it, but my solution is less than authodox

Heres the problem

Heres my fix

heres the end

well its less than perfect, but it is working.

heres a few more pics